Cool

The most hated thing to do is find a web presence provider dedicated, co-located or hosted. So many choices but which one is right for you. Most people looking for web providers have no clue what they need to run their website or most have had bad dealings with their current provider. You are the one to decide who to choose, so now what. Well my suggestion is you take time and patience and research them. You are what they are looking for new customers they should bend over backwards to sell you their site. So we'll start off with E-mail the most pleasant thing a provider gets TOales@whoever blahblah.Ext . I ask myself the most basic things to know if it's not already posted on the website.

What's the temp of the room the servers are in?
    How does the pricing plan work in plain terms?
    What kind of security is there?
    What's the humidity of the server rooms?
    Is there fire protection and what kind?
    Who has access to my server?
    How long does it take to replace the server hardware and the fee's?
    Can the software be upgraded if so by who and how much?
    What kind of connections do you have?
    How old is the Equipment I will be running on?
    Are my servers covered under your Insurance while in your possession for any damages? (Co-Located or leased)
    Is there someone working 24/7 in case of problems?
    Will the price be more then the plan I select?
    Are the server rooms positively pressured?
    What kinds of Tech support are available to me?
    How long has blah blah hosting been in Business?
    How fast is the complaint handling?
    Can I grow (expand) and the fee's involved?

Research the company, look for URL's on the website that they host and talk to the individuals in E-mail. Search the Internet for the company name on spidered engines. Follow the powered by so and so, trace them that way. Look at the stocks for the Corp. Look in the state DOR records for the company name see how long they have been in business.

Ask any question you think or want to know no matter how trivial, minor or you just don't know the answer too. If you get back general or generic replies then you'll have a good idea of what kinds of service to expect. Your looking for an honest to the point I want to be your host questions and they should bend over backwards for you. You deserve, expect and demand these questions to be answered your the person giving them the money or server and it's your business that will fail your equipment that's at stake. So this comes to the most asked question why am I getting all these questions? Well, if you have a good provider s/he will see you have a true want too succeed and less likely to just sign up and just quit. You'll also know how much they care about their systems and will treat yours and you. Now you have some questions to think about, other things you should consider what if they load me full of it. Well, you can visit their site in person and verify all this information or rely on the E-mail they sent back and keep it for reference. So all this brings is how much do I really care if I am up or down or if I have to replace my system due to neglect. FIND SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO SEE YOU SUCCEED and you and the provider will be happy for a long long time..

So this brings me to a end because I really don't care to write a book on the subject and I still have most of my secrets.
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww it's broke

Hey Newbie, those are a good set of questions. You could also, add some questions specific to the plans, like cost for extra bandwidth, and ips etc etc.
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

I think answers to such a list of questions can only be expected from a host in the medium to high price category.

why do you

Why do you feel atra4 that only high end hosts would answer those questions? If someone sent that list to us, I know every single one of our sales reps would answer al the questions (this is not a ad). SO im just curious on why you say that, is it bad past exp??
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

cbaker, I guess he thinks the way he does because cheaper hosts, wouldnt have the time or will to answere them? Because, you get what you pay for?
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Are the server rooms positively pressured?
    ------

Why should they be?

We dunt wont the servers to go kaboom, now do we?
    The Php Support Desk

hahaha

Perhaps another question we should ask besides the pressure question is whether they have a emergency contingence plans for if the world comes to a end????

Hmm, fire emergency, tornado emergency, terrorism, ...
    Crap our company handbook does not have a section on "world coming to a end"
    1-866-316-HOST

one of this first things anyone should look for in a hosting contract is the Armageddon clause .

[Edited by Jag on 01-06-2001 at 11:57 PM]
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

Wink

See this is when you really get to see how a provider is going to handle the questions i.e. professional or unprofessional. You can just about guess how you'll be handled when you contact them for any reason. I'm glad I get to see some of my points put to use. Even the most useless question could be answered in the most professional way regardless of the validity of the question. <snickers> and wonders if some people even took a business class in high school or even in college and wonders where they'll be in 5-10 years.

Ohhhh, but it is also good to see hosts with a good sense of humor. Nothing like dry, three word support replies.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Smile

Even if you do get a response there is now way for you to see that your host isn't lying to you (GASP) :-)

Well you can visit them, I'm sure there are more ways to find out and don't forget http://www.ftc.gov the Federal Trade Commission is a pretty big help on a lot of fraud issues. I try to find my host locally if possible or within a 8-12 hour drive.

I guess my humor just wasn't appreciated here
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com

dont feel bad

Dont feel bad Jag, mine wasnt appreciated either...
    1-866-316-HOST

Cool

Personally, I prefer a host that has a sense of humor.

Now, as far as end of the world safe facilities are concerned, http://www.thebunker.net/ is your best bet.

Unhappy

Sorry, I guess I get a little to serious at times. I just am trying to help with alot of what people keep posting over and over (what's a good host or who do I pick) without researching or even knowing how to go about it. But to answer some questions yes there are companies that do offer protection from the above related issues. I don't think many people actually look at that or are even prepaired to deal with the issue.