Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pubcrawler View Post
    No we didn't get notice actually.

Found that message on their website.

Discovered this all when our SSH session dropped and hadn't restarted. Following a ticket submission, suddenly the IP started responding again, but key invalid.

Low and behold, either a man-in-the-middle attack or as happened, they put our IP on some new CentOS installation. We are a Debian shop
    Yeah that happened to me too. They re-allocated one of my IPs to another server and when I was making http requests it would give me the standard centos apache page. I sent a request ticket in and they didn't want to admit to doing anything wrong and silently fixed it for me after a few exchanges.

The VPS I mentioned that was brought up this AM at 5 (that's when they emailed me) has been down since 9:40 AM. It's 7 PM now. They did not respond to ticket yet. I asked for a refund and for a backup of /etc and /var/named. Let's see where that takes me.

Currently looking for an alternate host.

Please, do help other customers stay away from DirectSpace in the future by sharing your experience on amplicate.com. We have to help people not waste money and lose data in the future and the only way to do that is to let them know that signing up with DirectSpace will be the biggest mistake of their life.

I am not sure about the biggest mistake. There can be others much worse.
    It wont be the first hacked host or the only one experiencing problems.
    Due to these issues I am for hosting "at home" for mission critical, soon HA will be in place, at least when **** happens I know exactly what and how, even better, I can fix it fast.
    For non-essential stuff, redundancy, cheap bw, dns, etc, as well as blogging and other personal things, a few VPSes will do the job.
    Oh, and did I mention redundancy and back-up ? There are hosts that back up for you or at least provide extra space for that, however, if they go south it is unlikely your back-up will still be available, so better do it yourself on another host or at home. Storage is ridiculously cheap these days, there are no excuses.
    Besides, if something happens with your payment or you forget it, they will most likely hold your data to ransom, so one more reason to do:
    1. Automated back-ups;
    2. Manual back-ups;
    3. Test the back-ups from time to time.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Maounique View Post
    I am not sure about the biggest mistake. There can be others much worse.
    It wont be the first hacked host or the only one experiencing problems.
    Due to these issues I am for hosting "at home" for mission critical, soon HA will be in place, at least when **** happens I know exactly what and how, even better, I can fix it fast.
    For non-essential stuff, redundancy, cheap bw, dns, etc, as well as blogging and other personal things, a few VPSes will do the job.
    Oh, and did I mention redundancy and back-up ? There are hosts that back up for you or at least provide extra space for that, however, if they go south it is unlikely your back-up will still be available, so better do it yourself on another host or at home. Storage is ridiculously cheap these days, there are no excuses.
    Besides, if something happens with your payment or you forget it, they will most likely hold your data to ransom, so one more reason to do:
    1. Automated back-ups;
    2. Manual back-ups;
    3. Test the back-ups from time to time.
    M
    Some solid advice there. I agree that storage is way to cheap to ignore backing up nowadays. Thankfully I didn't use DS for anything major. It is rather cumbersome that I lost my BIND config & zone files but nothing hard to re-create.

I would like to mention one thing though: I did not have my payment set up on automatic and DirectSpace never suspended or charged a fee for forgetting to pay on time which happened two or three times. So the ransom data extortion scheme does not seem to be present with this company.

I have dealt with a few that did that in the past. Well known companies too. Very nasty aftertaste. But let's not go there.

I cancelled my account and I'm on my way. DS said they're launching a backup service in a couple of weeks for those of you who are staying.

Just in the nick of time

It's bad luck that this all has happened, but they were asking for it. If they approached security like they approached customer service, it's all talk and no show.

I recently had a 26 hour down time, which was the result of "over-utilizing node resources" when, in fact, I was not. They rendered my VPS unable to boot and refused to respond to my support tickets, even though a few of my friends who host with DS were getting responses. This was the third downtime in 3 months, and I had customers breathing down my neck. So I decided to head to DataShack (which I've been loving so far) and give them a try. I got all my data moved off of DS' network 30 min prior to when they reported that this attack occurred.

There are two types of people on the internet; those who have lost data, and those who will. Backup, test, backup, test, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by iFON View Post
    I would like to mention one thing though: I did not have my payment set up on automatic and DirectSpace never suspended or charged a fee for forgetting to pay on time which happened two or three times. So the ransom data extortion scheme does not seem to be present with this company.

I have dealt with a few that did that in the past. Well known companies too. Very nasty aftertaste. But let's not go there.
    Yeah, well, I am not a customer of them, I just felt I had to point out some general reasons for backups based on many years of experience.
    I am glad they dont pull that trick on customers, it doesnt look they are evil, just overwhelmed by this situation. Who knows how many hundreds of nodes are suddenly destroyed, they cant just hire extra staff in a few min, but cant blame customers that expect more or less uninterrupted service either.
    They can move, but sooner or later some sort of **** will happen with other hosts too, if what you host is mission critical, maybe think of some redundancy, replication, at least have an idle box ready to receive the last back-up and be up in a matter of minutes when needed, while you use those resources for testing stuff in "normal" times when the main box is humming along great.
    M
    Last edited by Maounique; 04-14-2012 at 06:32 AM.

I'd just like to leave this here xD

(It's a screenshot of a support ticket of mine in January)

So essentially I was lied to?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by thesaintoms View Post
    I'd just like to leave this here xD

(It's a screenshot of a support ticket of mine in January)

So essentially I was lied to?
    Absolutely. If they had full node backups their downtime would have been minimal and accounts would have been reversed to the changes last made at the time the backup was taken.

They just confirmed via support ticket to me that they were implementing a backup system in the near future.

I guess their thought was "well, they're fully unmanaged so we don't care about their silly files", but failed to recognize that their business depends on those backups being available should a full scale hack of a server happen.

I'm an ex direct space client who has lost nothing more than /etc config files. Still, I chose to leave due to what ***in my opinion*** is an incredibly stupid way of managing a hosting business.

Quote Originally Posted by iFON View Post
    Absolutely. If they had full node backups their downtime would have been minimal and accounts would have been reversed to the changes last made at the time the backup was taken.

They just confirmed via support ticket to me that they were implementing a backup system in the near future.

I guess their thought was "well, they're fully unmanaged so we don't care about their silly files", but failed to recognize that their business depends on those backups being available should a full scale hack of a server happen.

I'm an ex direct space client who has lost nothing more than /etc config files. Still, I chose to leave due to what ***in my opinion*** is an incredibly stupid way of managing a hosting business.
    I think this is about normal with VPS or dedicated servers. Unless the servers are specifically stated that they are backed up, they are not.

It is usually up the client when they have their own server to take and store backups.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    I think this is about normal with VPS or dedicated servers. Unless the servers are specifically stated that they are backed up, they are not.

It is usually up the client when they have their own server to take and store backups.
    Yeah, my point was that the downtime is not excusable. They were down 3+ days (they may still be ... who knows) because there is no full node backup to restore from in a matter of hours.

See, I would understand if it were an individual VPS issue and they didn't have backups (as I did eventually in my support ticket which I linked above). But for a full node? That's inexcusable. Even if the backup was only a weekly backup, it would have saved so much time, money, and effort in the end, as not EVERYTHING would have been lost.

Since they speciffically say in a ticket to a customer that they have full nodes backup, then they should restore those when the full node has been deleted because of their security problems.
    In this case, customers have to backup in case their VPS is hacked, for instance, the company goes bust, they forget to pay, node is suspended or cancelled by host for whatever reason, fs corruption by out of control script, hdd bad sectors, whatever is affecting only that particular customer because the company will certainly not do a rollback for everyone or do extra work to restore that speciffic container when they dumped everything in one tar file.
    If they do have the full node backup as they claim, they HAVE TO restore it when data was lost because of their exclusive fault. They are not forced to take the full back-ups, agreed, but it does make sense for their own reputation. A customer which lost data (even if it is just a bit since last back-up the customer took) through the host's error will be much happier with low downtime and some kind of a back-up restored than just receive the blanket "we are sorry, dunno when will be up" letter. 3 days downtime is inexcusable, especially when the data is not restored. I mean, I can install and configure manually (without any script) VMWare, XEN, Proxmox servers in half an hour each on low end hardware for my homelab to test things and they cant finish all in 3 days ?
    When **** happens you ask employees for extra hours, pay extra, get them pizza and coffee to get the things done since you cant really hire others in that short time, it is impossible not to be done in this way in 24 hours of hard work and iron bugs later.
    I hope they learn from this. **** happens to everyone sooner or later, it is the way they deal with it that makes the difference.
    M

I am not a DS client but, the services are unmanaged. On your server you have the full ability to backup your own files. The only hosting that I buy and expect to be backed up is website and gameserver hosting, but even with my website i have a cron to zip the public html once every 7days and upload it to another place, and mysql databases are backed up every our, how hard is it to take your own backups? Not hard at all.

IMHO you shouldn't blame the host for your own incompetency to setup your own backups, it isnt hard to connect to FTP and click and drag files to your desktop if you dont know how to use crontab and bash scripting.
    Last edited by JackVX; 04-19-2012 at 01:03 PM.

@JackVX, @Maounique,

The point of this thread is not just about backups and what not. Sure, we should all backup our files, and I am sure we all did. And for those who didn't have backups, it's just their bad luck.

The point being, the node went down for days, we the clients are left without access to our servers. How are we to answer to our own clients when we can't even access our own servers?

I eventually moved to another vps provider after 24hours without access, because I just couldn't bear my clients breathing down my neck asking about why their emails went down. I'd come clean with them saying there is no hope in restoring webfiles, but at least I get to salvage a few due to the fact that uptime was more important to them.

So to sum up, it's not just about backups, more about DS getting us back up ASAP, which apparently they failed to even do so.

Quote Originally Posted by webserveme View Post
    @JackVX, @Maounique,

The point of this thread is not just about backups and what not. Sure, we should all backup our files, and I am sure we all did. And for those who didn't have backups, it's just their bad luck.

The point being, the node went down for days, we the clients are left without access to our servers. How are we to answer to our own clients when we can't even access our own servers?

I eventually moved to another vps provider after 24hours without access, because I just couldn't bear my clients breathing down my neck asking about why their emails went down. I'd come clean with them saying there is no hope in restoring webfiles, but at least I get to salvage a few due to the fact that uptime was more important to them.

So to sum up, it's not just about backups, more about DS getting us back up ASAP, which apparently they failed to even do so.
    The fact that you actually accept money from clients whilst using cheap, rumoured to be 'oversold' OpenVZ hosting, answers your question about the downtime sorry to say.

Actually, it is a bit about back-ups. They said they have back-ups of the entire nodes. If that was the case, restoring those would have been fast and easy.
    Since there were days of downtime, either those back-ups were a myth or they were deleted as well.
    Every customer is different, some might value uptime over data retrieval (especially those that made back-ups), others could wait longer just to get their data back (those with important data without (recent) back-ups).
    BOTH would have benefitted if the company did have those full node back-ups available, also the company itself would have pulled a great victory out of a disaster, increasing customer's confidence that they are safe with it, even if hiccups can occur.
    Sure, unmanaged and all, but a dump a day keeps the angry customer away and 2 TB drives are 100 bucks a piece. They can hold many compressed and incremental back-ups of a much larger node (depending on how compressible the data is and how much can they fine tune the back-up to avoid the OSes and only get user data).
    I never said they have to do it, but it would have been a good thing for everyone.
    M

Could someone provide an update about this issue?
    What the company did about it?
    Did you get your data/files?

service was restore but create new one. Client data all loss. Fortunately, I always keep backup. Pls keep backup, if you use all of budget vps

Such a joke company!!!!!! Wonder how they still in business. In the advertising section of WHT they should force threads to include all links of reviews of their company/services. This would allow new clients to be well informed of the service of they are getting into. Maybe help innocent new clients avoid poor companies. Just my 2 cents.

My VPS at DirectSpace is again OFFLINE for many hours!!!

<< removed >> this company is really threating me!! my VPS is offline about more than 36hours!! << removed >>

My customer is runaway!! and i don't know how to get my backups , becuase my ticket still not reply!!
    My Support Tickets - #575100 [my VPS is DOWN or OFFLINE! for more than 24hours!!]
    Last edited by writespeak; 06-20-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Removed non-family-friendly language

Quote Originally Posted by ocean7cloth View Post
    << removed >> this company is really threating me!! my VPS is offline about more than 36hours!! << removed >>

My customer is runaway!! and i don't know how to get my backups , becuase my ticket still not reply!!
    My Support Tickets - #575100 [my VPS is DOWN or OFFLINE! for more than 24hours!!]
    Hello

We are working as quickly as possible to restore service to all customers and reply to tickets as humanly possible. As soon as your VPS is backup, we'll update you via your open ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by directspace View Post
    Hello

We are working as quickly as possible to restore service to all customers and reply to tickets as humanly possible. As soon as your VPS is backup, we'll update you via your open ticket.
    hey, i need my backups as soon as possible!!

and TILL NOW!!! my VPS currently DOWN!! and support not reply! what service is it???

you know? my VPS down for more than 48 HOURS!! where the hell are you!

--

sorry for my bad words, i'm absolutely mad about this. this company such a piece of ****! the ticket support not working anyway.

I feel you ocean. Been there my self. It's good practice to always have a plan B when something happens to plan A. It's good to not allow your business to be dependent on one single point of failure.

i don't know how to clustering. so i don't have a plan b if there's something happen to my site.

Thank Goodness

So i had just switched, transferred everything over, was with DSN for 2 weeks before this happened and *******, in those 2 weeks, I did so many changes that I dont know if i could do them again... Looks like i will be looking at getting hosting with someone else now, i might keep the VPS as a sandbox but i'm not sure i even WANT to pay for it at this point...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast