Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* WebHostingTalk Live Activity Monitor Tool

Hello everyone,

I've had somewhat rough couple of days, my uncle passed away, and I desperately wanted to get working on something to get my mind off everything happening, so I came up with this project/idea yesterday to make a tool that monitors the activity of this forum and show it to me at a glance.

I'm pretty much all day long browsing the forum and the "New Posts" "Featured" and "Unanswered" features weren't giving me the overall overview I wanted, so I've developed this little tool:

http://wht.shagoon.net/

I thought that rather than checking New Posts, Featured, Unanswered every 5-10min and possibly missing some posts, I can keep this tool anywhere visible (even in the browser's tabs bar) and I can immediately notice any new activity.

It's pretty intuitive (I guess) and simple to work with, but I I'd like to hear some of your feedback, ideas, suggestions, reviews, etc.

Thank you.
    Uptime Monitor - Minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it!

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.

Pretty cool, thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your uncle.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

I am sorry to hear about your uncle.

The tool is nice, I like it.
    HostNurse.com - We Nurse & Babysit Your Websites!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    24/7 Support | cPanel | Softaculous | SEO Tools | RVSiteBuilder & More.

That's very nice! One of the things I dislike about WHT's New Posts option is that it includes topics in the advertising forum. I don't want to see advertisements as I don't visit other peoples ads. I would much rather just see topics in Web Hosting Main Forums.

Definitely going to bookmark this site.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

Sorry to hear about your loss, it's a nice idea and very useful, would it be possible to limit them per keyword?

Quote Originally Posted by Licensecart-Mike View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss, it's a nice idea and very useful, would it be possible to limit them per keyword?
    Currently not, but I was just thinking of implementing some sort of search on it.

EDIT: oh, but it wouldn't be able to search that keyword through posts, just titles.
    Last edited by Andei; 10-12-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Licensecart-Mike View Post
    would it be possible to limit them per keyword?
    Implemented the search and it's fully working, accepting one or multiple keywords as well as remembering your search term until cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by [HB]Andrei View Post
    Implemented the search and it's fully working, accepting one or multiple keywords as well as remembering your search term until cleared.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your Uncle. Your idea is awesome! Nice work!

Would this be a viable project to have multiple forum live feeds in one place? at a glance.

I was thinking I could take this project one step further in allowing users to submit additional forums to have in their feed... but not sure if it's worth working on or not, since currently it has achieved my initial goal of easily tracking WHT activity.

What do you think?

Love that idea

Nice tool! And condolences...

Quote Originally Posted by APX View Post
    Love that idea
    Quote Originally Posted by openIcarus-William View Post
    Nice tool! And condolences...
    Thank you!

I've been working intensely on this tool for the past week, fixed a lot of bugs and added new features, I've also been using it this entire time... and currently I can't think of any new features to add to it, as it has long surpassed its initial purpose.

Tfixed a lot of bugs
    Nice work there, but have you checked it in Opera? Opera 12.17 hates it and it never loads any content.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Nice work there, but have you checked it in Opera? Opera 12.17 hates it and it never loads any content.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I had tested it on latest opera which is version 25 if I'm not mistaken but I've now downloaded 12.17 specifically to test this issue, and both x86 and x64 seem to load okay, screens:
    http://prntscr.com/4xt4xe
    http://prntscr.com/4xta9b

Not really sure what the issue could be if I can't reproduce it

Hmm, just checked for updates and it says I'm on the latest...visit the site, and it is indeed on 25. Guess I have other issues.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Sorry about your loss, it's irony that sad event caused to create such a good tool!

I really like this, thank you for making it public! I'd have two questions:

1. I don't see "Go to the last post" button, and that's one I frequently use. In WHT, it's located in "Last post" column, next to the nickname of last poster.

I guess there's no use of asking for "Go to the first unread post" button, as it would require a visitor to be signed in to the forum?

2. Do you plan going commercial with this? I'd love to see this tool for another forum or two that I also follow; they run on vB, too. Would it be too difficult and expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by strugar View Post
    Sorry about your loss, it's irony that sad event caused to create such a good tool!

I really like this, thank you for making it public! I'd have two questions:

1. I don't see "Go to the last post" button, and that's one I frequently use. In WHT, it's located in "Last post" column, next to the nickname of last poster.

I guess there's no use of asking for "Go to the first unread post" button, as it would require a visitor to be signed in to the forum?

2. Do you plan going commercial with this? I'd love to see this tool for another forum or two that I also follow; they run on vB, too. Would it be too difficult and expensive?

Hello,

1. I had implemented the go to last post feature but it was kinda breaking the page when opening links in LightBox (which is the only mode I use and like) so I removed it... but I'll implement it again and make it turnable on/off from settings.

And no, there's no way to go to first unread post, since this tool (of course) does not have direct access to the forum's datbase so it cannot know which user you are and which posts you have/haven't read.

2. Going commercial, no plans for that yet or in the near future, but I am in the process of rewriting core parts to be able to accept multiple forums (added manually by me) cause right now everything was built to accept and work with just one forum. You can PM me the other 1-2 forums so I can take a look if they can be implemented or not.

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

Thanks for prompt reply!

Of course, I see issues with "Go to first unread", that's why I didn't put it as separate question, but just a comment, to confirm.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by strugar View Post

This feature has now been implemented you can activate it from 'Settings > Go To Last Post'

It seems to have answered both of your questions at #1, since I do believe it takes you to the last read post if you had visited that thread before, not quite sure on this yet.

This feature does break the page a bit since the hashtag autoscroll from the forum iframe is also affecting the parent scroll of my site, so when this feature is enabled the parent scrolling is disabled (I had to improvise a workaround).

Tested and fully working, thank you very much for the suggestion

I'm sorry about your loss..

This will be a tool I will be using frequently. Thanks!
    █ ♥ █ PoppenWorks, Canadian web design, development and hosting. Now with 24/7 support.

To add.. from a UI perspective, I would increase the font size of the titles a little. I found myself squinting to read them. I could zoom in through my browser, but that would be too easy..
    █ ♥ █ PoppenWorks, Canadian web design, development and hosting. Now with 24/7 support.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkPoppen View Post
    I'm sorry about your loss..

This will be a tool I will be using frequently. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPoppen View Post
    To add.. from a UI perspective, I would increase the font size of the titles a little. I found myself squinting to read them. I could zoom in through my browser, but that would be too easy..
    Hello,

Thank you for the input, I guess the sizing is a matter of taste really, some may want it smaller and some may want it bigger... when I've selected the sizes I wanted to make sure I can fit as much info as possible onto as little space as possible on a minimum 1024 wide resolution, this is why most threads take only 2 rows, with few exceptions taking up 3 rows. The whole idea of the tool being to be able to see at a glance as much info as possible. For the moment I won't change the sizes, since as you've mentioned it's so easy to just zoom in on the browser level if you desire bigger fonts.

Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate it

I've been working intensely on this tool for the past week, fixed a lot of bugs and added new features, I've also been using it this entire time... and currently I can't think of any new features to add to it, as it has long surpassed its initial purpose.
    Nice work! Would like to see a feature to "unfollow" all sections and just manually follow the sections that you're interested in .

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    Nice work! Would like to see a feature to "unfollow" all sections and just manually follow the sections that you're interested in .
    Will get to work on it

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    All done, I've added an 'Unfollow all' button to 'Settings > Select Sections To Follow'... should do the trick

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast