Google PR - Does anyone know...

Hi,

About 3-4yrs ago I bought a survey website off ebay. One of the main reasons for this was because the seller had the site on Google page 1 - position 2. Now it stayed there for I think approx 2 weeks or more because I was able to resell the site again within that time.

My question: How was he able to do that considering the site was brand new?

The seller wasn't prepared to tell me how he did it apart from saying that I would have to pay big money to a SEO company if I wanted to do it. But it didn't make sense because I only bought the site for about $150. (If that sounds like too much, don't worry...I made a lot more with the resale)

Anyway can anyone please shed light on this for me.

Thanks

Sounds like an old google bomb trick

They don't work anymore I don't believe

As for how this stuff works? man it's a mystery to me.

I've had a document that is the number one result for the search term 'escalation procedure' for years and my site was a hosting site. lol. I have NO idea how it happened.

EDIT: wups it's still number one. it shows as gamerunners.com but that's an alias to e-places.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...tion+procedure
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc View Post
    Sounds like an old google bomb trick

They don't work anymore I don't believe

As for how this stuff works? man it's a mystery to me.

I've had a document that is the number one result for the search term 'escalation procedure' for years and my site was a hosting site. lol. I have NO idea how it happened.

EDIT: wups it's still number one. it shows as gamerunners.com but that's an alias to e-places.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...tion+procedure

I have a couple of sites at #1... well, two now... one has fell once I stopped updating it. Sounds like you have never updated that document... hmm... that is pretty good.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

If it worked before, chances are that it doesn't work now. Google's constantly re-doing their algorithms and fixing/adding/removing things that were in there before. For instance, my site now ranks pretty highly for things like 'tonsillectomy recovery' on a couple of search engines, because I had one last week and just made a blog post about it. Plus, I update daily on most days.

I think these days the best thing you can do is provide unique content and update it frequently. My guess is that I'm ranking highly because I discuss the technical 'how-to' on some things that aren't discussed elsewhere on the internet, but are frequently googled -- so it drags my page rank higher on other topics I discuss, even though they're frequently not related to the techincal content that's my bread and butter.

Pagerank is like voodoo... and anyone that's selling you SEO services that guarantee page rank (that isn't sponsored links or advertising) is selling you snake oil.

Pagerank is like voodoo...
    PageRank is about backlinks, backlinks and more backlinks.

yeah back links will determine your pr