Thread: What is VPS?

What is VPS?

I'll admit...Im a little behind the times and dont quite understand the concept of VPS and how it all works.

Can someone fill me in on the advantages of VPS and what's special about it?

Thanks,
    Gavin

Virtual private server/Virtual dedicated server

Basically its your own 'dedicated' cpu/memory/OS within an os, virtualization to be exact.

The advantages of VPS:

Price - you don't need to rent a full dedicated
    Hardware - someone else handles the hardware
    Customizability - its a few steps up from shared, although will require greater knowledge to manage.

Its not 'special' - its just cool, affordable and a step down from a dedicated which can be quite expensive.

Interesting...so basically more control over your server config etc?

Complete control - depending on the one you choose.

Thats the thing though, its also a downside as its basically like running a dedicated server, except on a 'shared' level - but its certainly more affordable than a dedicated.

Pretty much yeah.

VPS servers usually are configured with software called virtuozzo, most VPS servers have 4 users on it or so, you get complete control over WHM, apache, php etc, and can actually optimise / break the server configuration, but virtually, rebooting the server won't do a hardware reboot, it most likely refreshes your virtual account.

A VPS will act and behave as a dedicated server, but whereas on a dedicated you are the only user on that server, on a VPS you are on a semi - shared environment, and only have control over your virtual account.

I would think 4 users per server is a 'bit' low, although it would depend on each provider.

Probably, I just calculated the average dedicated server @ 200$ then the average cost of a VPS, which is around 50$, so that concludes 4 users in round figures.

Unsure on the exact amount, just giving examples

Ah,

The pricing is normally based on the licenses as well as virtuozzo and whatnot isn't free.

You can always ask the provider what they do but I think you will find most companies put around 25-30 people per Dual CPU system with most VPS techiologies. Of course the more RAM you have tehnically the more people you can put on a server

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

If you want to know in non-technical term, it is just like sharing room with your friends and paying the rent in a shared manner, so your maintenance work is also limited and you are going to have all the rites for your needs.

I hope this will give more easy idea regarding VPS.
    Jack
    Sales Manager
    Cheap web hosting

... but you still get a seperate bedroom, bathroom, and if you friends room has problems yours doesn't. But if the building has problems you are all up a creek.

Ya exactly!
    Jack
    Sales Manager
    Cheap web hosting

13. how to find if a server is Virtual Private Server

hi,

how to find if a server is Virtual Private Server

-sid

I think first you should ask who you got it from. Then if you don't believe them you can try and look at the file system. For example I think virtuozzo has a very distinct file system signature. YOu might also be able to tell if the mem/HD was amazingly low for a dedicated server (256M/10G) .

I know on a product like VMware there is probably no way you could tell without poking around in memory.