* Will buy LiteSpeed. Does Proxyshield (or BlackLotus) still needed to prevent DDoS?

Hi folks. I'm a newbie in this networking things

We will buy litespeed enterprise for our web server. I read from their features page (at http://www.litespeedtech.com/litespe...-editions.html) LiteSpeed enterprise has a very good (D)DoS protection.

- After bought Litespeed, do we still need to purchase Gigenet Proxyshield (or BlackLotus)?

- What's the difference (in DDoS protection) between LiteSpeed and Gigenet/BlackLotus?

- Which one do most people need to protect their server from DDoS?

Litespeed is not a full proof ddos protection. It is scale to take on more httpd requests than other web server like apache can take.

Ultimately, you will still need a true DDOS protection provider to filter out the attack.

And yes, you will still need to get anti dos protection if you are really EXPECTING DDOS attack.

Usually, servers that run IRC network will get the most DDOS activities.

If you are running small personal, non-profit sites, i doubt your server will be a target to be ddos.

Hope it helps.
    L
    I work with a cup of tea, prefer green tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
    If you are running small personal, non-profit sites, i doubt your server will be a target to be ddos.
    we will run a commercial SaaS applicaction. is it vulnerable to ddos target attack?

Litespeed is an application. For efffective protection, you need hardware DDOS protection, rather than just relying on software (apache/litespeed, etc) protection. There is a huge difference between th etwo.

As far as "do I need ddos protection?" Honestly, only you can answer that really. Have you seen DDOS attacks in the past? Is your app (website) new, or is it something established? Is it 'popular', or is it something that attracts a few 100 visitors a day? Only you can decide whether or not you need to go with a DDOS appliance.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

If you network connection gets saturated no software program on the server will help. Most sites don't get DOS'd. If you are concerned then going with a provider that has protection enabled is your best option because if it ever happens you will already be with a provider who has experience preventing DOS attacks.

There are different type of DDoS attacks, for web hosting, mainly two types: SYN flood and junk HTTP requests flood. LiteSpeed can help dealing with later one, so you still need some kind of protection from your DC for the SYN flood attack.
    LiteSpeed Web Acceleration Platform by https://www.litespeedtech.com
    Apache drop-in replacement. Triple server capacity with 10X performance increases.
    Ultimate web serving platform for WordPress, Magento and other web applications.
    Turbo charging all WordPress sites hosted on your server with a single click!

Quote Originally Posted by gigawire View Post

Have a look at IntruGuard. I know a few heavyweight sites that run LiteSpeed and use IntruGuard to mitigate DDoS issues. Remember that Litespeed is an application. If that application is flooded with network packets at high rates, it won't have CPU cycles to do anything else. IntruGuard is hardware (ASIC) based DDoS mitigation appliance that sits before your firewall (if any) and ensure that the pipe is clean.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawire View Post
    Hi folks. I'm a newbie in this networking things

We will buy litespeed enterprise for our web server. I read from their features page (at http://www.litespeedtech.com/litespe...-editions.html) LiteSpeed enterprise has a very good (D)DoS protection.

- After bought Litespeed, do we still need to purchase Gigenet Proxyshield (or BlackLotus)?

- What's the difference (in DDoS protection) between LiteSpeed and Gigenet/BlackLotus?

The "difference" is that you should be using both a protected network and a resistant httpd

There are several layers before data arrives Litespeed. The action against a DDOS must be taken at router level (data center), many times at the backbone providers routers (e.g. Level3, Verio, AT&T, etc). It is almost a scam to say an applicaton can protect a server from a DDOS attack. Before the application can do anything, the server resources will be exhausted by the TCP connections and the server will go down or legit access will be lost. In both case the DDOS will be a success.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-09-2008 at 06:43 AM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    There are several layers before data arrives Litespeed. The action against a DDOS must be taken at router level (data center), many times at the backbone providers routers (e.g. Level3, Verio, AT&T, etc). It is almost a scam to say an applicaton can protect a server from a DDOS attack. Before the application can do anything, the server resources will be exhausted by the TCP connections and the server will go down or legit access will be lost. In both case the DDOS will be a success.
    Not really. We have numerous customers that are filtered based on software solutions alone. Clearly this does not stop everything but it takes the pain off the pocketbook for some.