Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Purevoltage View Post
    I'd suggest a 15 inch with 1080 support smaller than that just isn't worth it. I'll need a different one soon myself right now using a 18.4 inch for traveling however it's not really that usable on planes unless in first class.

Are you planning on getting an ultrabook?

I still feel like 15inch is too big for travel. I don't see anything negative about having a 13 inch, especially since I can easily hook it up to my desktop monitor when at home if I want a larger screen. But of course, judging by past experiecne... I always want a bigger and bigger screen. In other words, I have no idea cannot make up my mind on what to get

I've had 9.5", 10", 13.3" and 15.6" laptops and ideal laptop size really depends on what you're doing with the laptop while traveling.

If it's just browsing the web in general, checking email, than maybe even a 10" tablet or laptop.

But for any serious internet/related work coding etc stuff, I personally can't imagine doing it on less than 15.6". It was painful for me even on 13.3" with 1366 resolution 1.6kg laptop. But probably because I am use to multi-monitor setups for work/home use

Other factor is battery life, smaller the size laptop and lighter it is, the less battery capacity you'll get usually and a compromise of features and future/additional upgrade options.

My current laptop is 15.6" Samsung ATIV Book 8 1920x1080 touch screen, Core i7 3635QM, 16GB ram, AMD 8870M, 960GB SSD with 802.11ac 90+WHR battery gives ~9-11hrs battery life and comes in around <2.5kg.

If it's just the weight issue, then us humans can adapt pretty easily, using a heavy laptop for a while you can get use over time. My first laptop 20 yrs ago was 9.5" screen and weighed in at 2.5kg too LOL. Or if cost isn't an issue you can get ultra portable 15" laptops that are light weight but probably cost 2x to 4x times the price for privilege and still need to sacrifice some battery life too

My order of criteria for laptops usually is

1. battery life >8hrs
    2. performance
    3. weight

edit: oh and best source of advice and reviews at http://forum.notebookreview.com/
    Last edited by eva2000; 11-06-2014 at 06:52 PM.
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

I think I'm fine with a smaller ultrabook 13 inch because all I really use it for is browsing internet and emails. If I want bigger screen I can always hook it up to my desktop's monitor... even though I don't see the purpose of doing that with my ultrabook. I would just use my desktop in that case if I suddenly need bigger screen.

I stumbled upon this ultrabook:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-948-_-Product

that ultrabook could be one option. I need to go to bestbuy etc and see a few in person hopefully help make up my mind.

2 often overlooked aspects are keyboard layout and glossy/matte screen.

Some keyboards may have tiny backspace & backslash keys or arrow keys in awkward positions. I use these keys extensively, so it affects my decision.

Personally, I prefer matte screen as a glossy one attracts finger-prints and reflects lights off ceiling. You will tend to tilt the screen upwards on a laptop, so a matte screen is better IMO. However, most laptops have a glossy screen nowadays. You can turn a glossy screen into matte by applying a screen filter, if you need to.

So, go to a store and try them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I think I'm fine with a smaller ultrabook 13 inch because all I really use it for is browsing internet and emails. If I want bigger screen I can always hook it up to my desktop's monitor... even though I don't see the purpose of doing that with my ultrabook. I would just use my desktop in that case if I suddenly need bigger screen.

I stumbled upon this ultrabook:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-948-_-Product

that ultrabook could be one option. I need to go to bestbuy etc and see a few in person hopefully help make up my mind.
    If that price is okay, just get a surface... that is the "go to" device right now... in that price range.

Surface CAN replace your PC, Laptop, and smaller device.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    If that price is okay, just get a surface... that is the "go to" device right now... in that price range.

Surface CAN replace your PC, Laptop, and smaller device.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the only differecne I see betrween the surface and ultrabooko is that the suface has detachable keyboard?

uptimedoctor, I also dislike glossy screens... as well as glossy lids because they are fingerprint magnets.

I was looking at this ultrabook but dislike the glass high gloss cover... I just don't like it for some reason... otherwise I would have gotten an acer aspire ultrabook:

http://www.acer.com/aspires7/en_US/

I was looking at this ultrabook but dislike the glass high gloss cover.
    The outer skin appears to be Aluminum, not glass.

[edit]
    I stand corrected. had to go to Amazon since that site was more interested in HTML5 than providing details, but the cover is indeed Gorilla glass. Can't say that's a good idea.
    Last edited by bear; 11-08-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I just went to best buy and I finally know what I want. I definitely want an ultrabook... I just saw this lenovo at best buy and would have gotten it except it had this horrible feeling matte bizarre texture on the keyboard are: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-y...&skuId=8636111

It only weighed 2.7 pounds and was super thin... it was SUPER light... was incredibly how light it was just amazing!! I wish to get that type of ultrabook book except in a 14 inch rather than 13 inch.

Problem is that I'm extremely anal... very picky about the materials and feel of the netbook. I don't want the lid to be a high gloss fingerprint magnet and that lenovo had the weirdest rubbery black material inside on the keyboard. That was a deal breaker for me... it didn't feel nice to the touch.

My budget is around $1200... now I just have to find an 8 gig ram 14 inch ultrabook with backlite keyboard that I like

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    The outer skin appears to be Aluminum, not glass.

[edit]
    I stand corrected. had to go to Amazon since that site was more interested in HTML5 than providing details, but the cover is indeed Gorilla glass. Can't say that's a good idea.

Ya, I am scratching that one off the list Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the only differecne I see betrween the surface and ultrabooko is that the suface has detachable keyboard?

uptimedoctor, I also dislike glossy screens... as well as glossy lids because they are fingerprint magnets.
    Depends on the ultrabook... surface will be slightly lighter (1.8 pounds, 2.5 pounds with keyboard), will be faster, maybe better graphics, and have more ports and other available accessories.

But it all depends on what you are comparing it with and what you want to truly do with it.

There are so many options right now... really amazing.

I can't tell a difference in power between my laptop and desktop... both have ssds, over 8 gb of ram, and i7 cpu...

I like the thinkpad yoga by Lenovo, although the weight gets up there at 3.5 pounds.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Use 13" laptop

I use for work 15" laptop, but it's too large for travelling from home to office. Try to use 13" inch laptop and you'll understand that it's the best size for laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by lukaterra View Post
    I use for work 15" laptop, but it's too large for travelling from home to office. Try to use 13" inch laptop and you'll understand that it's the best size for laptop.

I agree, I much prefer a 13 or 14 inch for travel. I loved the lenovoe ultrabook I saw at bestbuy (was only 2.7 pounds SUPER lightweight) but HATED the black rubbery strange material they used on the inside around the keyboard. Otherwise I would have gotten it.

much better to get 10 inch windows (full windows OS) tablet, all the programs will be running without any problems and all files can be backed up to cloud storage.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

15" too big? Nonsense
    I carry my 17" with me all the time. it's a bit of a pain to go through TSA, but i have to unpack my console anyways, so

I'm about to buy this super lightweight ultrabook from best buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-y...30&loc=KW-4322

... because I cannot find any other CONVERTIBLE ultrabooks where the screen can lay completely flat bent all the way backwards... so it basically turns into a tablet.

I REALLY hate the bizarre and rather nasty feeling black rubbery material lenovo used in this ultrabook (which is why I haven't ought it yet)... I like everything else about it except for that issue... it's even attracting dust and sticking to it!

Does anyone know of any other 13 or 14 inch convertaible ultrabook where the lid bends all the way backward like the lenovo?

I don't want something like surface where the keyboard detaches... I wish I could find another ultrabook like this lenovo ... meaning how the lids can be bent all the way backwards turning it into a "tablet".

If anyone here knows, I'd be super grateful to know. As I've looked and haven't found.

EDIT: sorry I take that back, I guess I don't mind if the keyboard detaches in order to turn it into a "tablet".

I looked at the surface today at bestbuy and they told me it's not a "real" computer etc and that I'd be better off with an ultrabook... I didn't understand what they were talking about?

I'd be better off with an ultrabook... I didn't understand what they were talking about?
    "Bigger commission".

"Bigger commission".
    Go figure

So he was just blowing smoke up my rear. There is NO major difference between the surface and the ultrabook I almost bought?

I will have to go get a better look at the surface in that case, I just hope it's as lightweight as the ultrabook I almost bought.

If it were me I'd likely opt for the Ultrabook simply because I think a tablet is just a tablet, and a laptop is more "work" oriented. I'd look at the processor and RAM, see how they compare. Both appear to run Windows 8.1, but I recall early Windows tablets ran a light version of Windows, so I'd make sure it was apples to apples all around.

The guys in BestBuy are not your best bet for advice.

If it were me I'd likely opt for the Ultrabook simply because I think a tablet is just a tablet, and a laptop is more "work" oriented. I'd look at the processor and RAM, see how they compare. Both appear to run Windows 8.1, but I recall early Windows tablets ran a light version of Windows, so I'd make sure it was apples to apples all around.

The guys in BestBuy are not your best bet for advice.

Thanks Bear, that's similar to what I've been hearing. I think I'd be happier with an ultrabook.... so I should just make sure whatever I get is running windows 8.1 and not a lighter vers of windows.

I really loved the lenovo ultrabook I showed in prior link... but I cannot get over how awful the black rubbery material they used on the inside all around the keyboard area. I might end up buying it anyway because I cannot find any other convertible uiltrabooks where the screen bends/swivels all the way backwards. I have to confess that wasn't not even a requirement... until I saw it in person... now it is a requirement. I really liked that feature.

Now I wouldn't even need to buy a tablet to play around on... I could just turn the ulrtabook into a tablet

This is kind of small (and I've had issues with Lenovo), but I always wanted to try one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-12-5-In.../dp/B009MPBFNU

This is kind of small (and I've had issues with Lenovo), but I always wanted to try one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-12-5-In.../dp/B009MPBFNU

Oh wow, that things looks like it weighs more than I do.

The lenovo ultrabook I saw at bestbuy which is the one you just mentioned is small... it's 13 inches.... I would prefer 14 inch but it doesn't come in a 14 inch

Or at least I don't think it does... I will double check now...

Well this is not good... the surface does not even come in a 13 inch and I certainly do not want a 12 inch screen! Too small.

I'm about to buy this ultrabook:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-y...&ref=30&loc=NA

... because there aren't many options out there to choose from when searching for 13 or 14 inch convertible ultrabooks

In fact, I cannot even find any other ones other than this lenovo with either a deatachable keyboard or full swivel of the screen to turn it into a "tablet". I must be doing a really lousy search... because this cannot be possible?

I found asus but highly dislike their fingerprint magnet lid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast