Advertising my website - few general questions

Hi

1 - Tell me ….. if I was to put a lot of links to other websites on in my site without them
    linking back to me - would that help me or not ? (In other words. I would go let's
    say on to the Internet and get sites that have something in common with my site).

2 - I was thinking about using Google adwords to help in promoting my site. Any
    opinions or suggestions as far as implementing it is concerned ?

3 - Do you have any suggestions to give me on the best places to advertise and some of
    the more profitable places to advertise in ?

4 - I do know that both links, and content are very important in promoting a site, what
    else is important and is there anything else that I can do to help get my site in the
    first 10 searches of search engines like Google and Yahoo.

5 - As far as submitting my site to search engines – directories and any other worth while
    places - how frequently should I submit them ?

Thank you Craig

1. Not for ranking for any specific phrase.. It may contribute to your site being considered a "hub" site if you have enough supporting content around all those links..

2. Go for it.. But research your converting phrases carefully and keep a close eye on your costs and traffic.. It can be a decent way to kick start a website..

3. Depends on the market you are trying to reach.. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to advertise Snow Tires on a jewelry website..

4. More links.. And more links with the right anchor text.. Most people only worry about Google since they do account for nearly 60% of all search traffic.. If you rank well in Google you could rank fairly in the others.. But not always.. Different algos require different tactics..

5. Search engines?? Never. They will find you through links.. Directories?? Once on each one should be sufficient.. It really depends on your competition to determine just how many though...
    Steve
    Metal Monster Marketing : Internet Marketing

Thanks Steve - I have a better idea now

I have a travel website @ www.victoria-bc-canada-guide.com

Craig
    Last edited by SCOBAHCAN; 03-19-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added more info.

1. The more sites that link to you (being relevant links) will only help your chances on moving up in rankings specifically with Google. If this wasn't true, there would not be any websites selling back-links.

2. Google Adwords is a good tool to get customers "in the now". It can tend to be a bit expensive, just depends on what you are advertising for, and how well your ROIO is.

3. I have used the ExactSeek.com engine, and adbrite.com. Both didn't do much, but got a little traffic from.

4. Using good Meta Title/Keyword phrases. If your website is about "Pencils" use good Title keywords like "Purchase Pencils - Buy Pencils - School Pencils" etc... Google/Yahoo/MSN loves to read titles...

5. Its debatable on how much you should submit to engines. Some people say "never" some people say every 6 months. I'm under the opinion MSN and Yahoo re-submit every year. I wouldn't recommend re-submitting to Google.. they do a good job.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Not a bad little content site going there. Keep it up!

Create a few pages every week.. create a blog, setup a type of forum... and do an XML Google Sitemap... and your on your way!

Quote Originally Posted by SCOBAHCAN View Post
    Thanks Steve - I have a better idea now

I have a travel website @ www.victoria-bc-canada-guide.com

Craig
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Pink, on #1 he was talking about linking out to other sites, not linking in toward his..
    Steve
    Metal Monster Marketing : Internet Marketing

Talking

Thanks Pinkfloid - glad you like my site .

I have spent 50-60 hours promoting my website so far, and I am still going to do another at a guess, 20+ hours + a little ongoing. I just hope its worth it in the end.
    How long do you think it may take until the $ start coming in regularly.

Craig
    Last edited by SCOBAHCAN; 03-19-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Misspelled

1. No, outbound links help in no way.
    2. Try it, for some people, it works, and for others, it don't work.
    3. Depends on your site Niche.
    4. Proper On page and Off Page SEO.
    5. Submit your site to search engine only once, then I suggest you create a webmaster tools account and add your site there, then submit a sitemap. Also use yahoo site explorer and msn webmaster center

1. Yes relevant out bound links are considered when Google and other search engines rate your website. Not sure why everyone in this thread thinks they are not. Matt Cutt's has said himself that linking out to bad neighborhoods and such will get your website penalized.

Craig sounds like your bit of newbie for SEO. I suggest checking out this thread.
    Jaan Kanellis | iNET Interactive

1 - I wouldn't advise to conduct this link building technique of yours. You could have like lots of links somewhat relevant to the topic of your site, but it's not quantity but quality that we are talking about here.

2 - Go for it!

3 - It really depends on how you want your site to appear. But what I think is most important is that it really depends how your site visitors would like to reach your site. If you are discussing a particular niche on your site just make a simple survey of what readers of such niche look for and stuff. This will then tell you whether to advertise on bookmarking sites, yahoo/google groups or other niche oriented resources.

4 - Alright, it is really true that links (quality ones not their number) is what makes your site authority looking in they eyes of the search engines. A good way to improve your site is by checking on how your competition is doing. You could do that by doing one simple search on google. You just have to type in the search box the following string:
    intitle:"keyword phrase" inanchor:"keyword phrase"

this search will actually show you who your real competitors are!!!

5 - don't worry about that if you have your articles submitted to a web directory or a social network/bookmarking site the google bots will find them there.