Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Question Green Hosting ?

I´m trying to understand what´s the meaning of the term "Green Hosting".

I know that there are ways to save energy, recycle electronics, but I still don´t know how can we get a green hosting.

Thanks.......

Quote Originally Posted by atlasnetworkseric View Post
    . . . and some facilities can actually get close to net 0 grid reliance (talk about a redundancy feature - too; 'we generate our own power and have the grid and generators for backup').
    Are you saying there's DCs out there generating their own power with solar on their own roof? Or are you talking offsets here?
    Green isn't a gimmick if you actually DO it.
    Yep, being "green" for me meant the office had to be off the grid, with its own solar power supply. I'm not saying that a grid connected solar setup isn't great. I just decided to go off the grid for powering the office. Being "green" also meant the power the servers use needed to be offset with solar panels on our own roof. True, not as cheap as buying green offsets or paying someone to plant trees, but it's real.

I get a kick out of hosts paying someone to plant trees and then prancing about proclaiming how "green" they are. Wow, you're suddenly a "carbon neutral host" when someone plants seeds in the ground for you. Amazing stuff and the good folks you gave money to gave you a pdf certificate to prove it.

Not that I have anything against planting trees. It's just that trees take 10 to 20 years to become effective carbon sequestration devices. That time frame is too long for hosts wanting to market how green they are.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by boyhermes View Post
    I´m trying to understand what´s the meaning of the term "Green Hosting".

I know that there are ways to save energy, recycle electronics, but I still don´t know how can we get a green hosting.

Thanks.......
    The concept of green hosting is that your operation is carbon nutral, so you basically have to offset you're carbon usage against planted tree's who'll convert the amount of carbon you've produced into oxygen.

You would usually start reducing your usage, to make the task more achievable and affordable..
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

This may save energy indirectly but i had the idea to donate a percentage of profits to cleaner energy programs, and forest regrowth.

Which in theory does exactly the samething as all the suggestions above.
    Thanks

It doesn't have to be planting tree's, but when it comes to hosting and the power required to function, planting tree's is really the main option..

Some places will be able to take advantage of local renewable resources, which can help reduce the costs of your operation.. I'm not aware of any commercial data centres that takes advantage of renewable resources though.

Plant a tree in front of your house and call it for the day, thats going green right there =D

Quote Originally Posted by network82 View Post
    The concept of green hosting is that your operation is carbon nutral, so you basically have to offset you're carbon usage against planted tree's who'll convert the amount of carbon you've produced into oxygen.
    But how long does a "planted tree" take to become an effective carbon sequestration device?

I love trees and stuff, but the whole planting trees for carbon offsets is a bit of a rort, given the vast length of time a planted tree takes to actually start offsetting carbon in a real way. Nice scam though. If I had a lot of land, I'd probably be in on that scam for sure.

Trees produce very little oxygen, time and effort would be better spent keeping the oceans clean, over 75% of oxygen comes from the ocean.

Understand also that a lot of the companies who have gone green, have done so for a reason and sometimes actively promote it as a recommendation.

For example, Media Fire Brand went green not long ago and we've put in so many changes to our process and our systems that we feel we're individually making a difference. Any companies who can show us they are doing the same actually get a discount from us - we don't use it as a selling point, but as an incentive.

We've changed our paper types to 100% recycled, we cut down on the amount of print-outs we make, we're using low voltage everything all over the place and a lot of other steps to make our carbon footprints tiny

When I was a nipper I had to worry about remembering to look both ways crossing the road and not to climb trees, kids nowadays have to carry the conequences of our neglect.

I can agree though, some companies do use it from a marketing perspective which I think is the wrong thing to do.
    DesignBear.com
    View Portfolio

A trusted WHT member for over 7 years!

Why dont people just start to really do things that help the world instead of just using the green issue as a marketing plot.

Most people and companies want to go green, not because they care, but because they want to show off with BIG ads on their websites how green and eco friendly they are.

I wonder how many people actually do things and dont make it public.

If someone wants to go green, they can start to adopt for example a Polar Bear for each hosting sign up. Or how about donating cash for sale?

There are tons of websites that will be give you a batch or logo if you donate money. And some others dont but you can still donate online.

For example:
    http://www.savebiogems.org/polar/

I dont think any company is green unless they have 100% solar power and dont use cars.

Most of us just do so little for the nature (some dont ever had planted 1 three in their lifes) and use our car for driving 4 blocks away.

Dump GAS. Thats going green. Electric cars arent that expensive anymore. Most people just say they want to go green but when it comes to make the sacrifice they just have a second thought.

We have to be realistic, and fully solar datacenters are not going to be here in the next decade or more. Its too expensive for a massive deployment. But dropping cars, isnt impossible anymore.

Another good suggestion is to use an enterprise wide management system to prevent waste from memos, faxes, and meeting handouts. It also saves on all those costs, and although going green can economically be more expensive initially, usually green solutions end up saving you money over time.

Interesting topic.

What if you dont use a VPS or dedicated server.

How would a small hosting company who use a reseller plan (from another host) calculate the amount of CO2 in tonnes used?

Offsetting such a small amount of CO2 probably would not cost much.

Going green is not a fade; as I remember back in the 80's there was an attempt to "go green" I personally believe that it flopped because the technology was not in place to move forward. Today, it is different. We have not placed the "green" tag on our site but we have recently upgraded our entire network with "green" efficient servers, virtualized the servers and our entire staff is working from home 3 days a week. By 2010 our plan is to have our entire staff home-based.

All of our communication is done through VOIP, electronic fax, Webinars and utilization of our servers to store data. As technology continues to be developed we can maximize the use of it.

great replacing with the new hadrware for saving power usage

Going green can be done in a number of ways, these are some:

1. Purchase carbon credits to offset the carbon dioxide they are putting out into the atmosphere.
    2. Virtualization - Sharing resources among customers, so you can more effectively use the server’s hardware.
    3. Hosting with energy friendly servers - Using severs that need less power is a great way to lower the cost of hosting and help the environment all at once.

Of course there are many ways to go green these are just some.

use new server, green power supply

use the newest technology and give or sell your old component

Green or Red?

Is going green, just as effective as regular hosting? What is the difference? How do I start?

We use the world's first solar powered data centre for our actual hosting. Our resons for choosing this facility is explained here - Why Solar

Then for the rest of our operations it's a combination of:

1. UK office is powered by green electricity from Ecotricity
    2. We reduce our consumption of resources by using online communication as often as possible, such as electronic invoices and online banking
    3. Double-sided printing when printing is unavoidable
    4. We use recycled paper for most of our office needs
    5. We use recycled printer toners
    6. When needing to print promotional material, we use www.alocalprinter.com who have great eco credentials
    7. We reuse equipment, both within the business and through active participation in Freecycle
    8. Composting organic waste
    9. We recycle waste as far as possible
    10. We use energy efficient products, such as light bulbs, where possible
    11. Home working to reduce travel
    12. Use chemical free, environmentally friendly cleaning products and fully degradable plastic bags from Wikaniko
    13. Annual planting of an increasing number of trees

Full details of our environmental policy and a recent article I've written on What exactly is Green Web Hosting?
    Lightbeing Creations - Solar Powered Websites
    Solar powered green web hosting

@Lightbeing Creations
    Wow, that's doing a lot for the environment.
    Being solar powered is a good idea, but you would need a good amount of solar panels to collect the energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbeing Creations View Post
    We use the world's first solar powered data centre for our actual hosting.
    I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE supporter of solar power and renewable energies, but the only thing that worries me about "100% off grid" datacenters are their heavy use of batteries to store their power.

Batteries are very harmful to the environment, from their production through to their distribution right up to their disposal. Their whole life cycle is anti green in every aspect.

I know because I power my office with an portable off grid solar setup (4x80w panels and 4x130ah batteries) and the battery bank part of the setup has always urked me, because batteries are not green.

The most environmentally friendly use of solar power is to work with the existing power grid, and put your excess power back onto the grid and take power from the grid during the night period where you're generating none of your own power. This way you do not need batteries. It's also cheaper and more environmentally friendly.

Just my $0.02

Realistically, it would be extreamly unlikely for a typical modern scale commercial datacentre to achieve 100% off grid.

It think it would be an achievement to simply get the facility (the building) running on a zero footprint, and tax the customers to offset footprint for powering rackspace and cooling. Something as simple as the buildings location, design and architecture could reduce the amount of energy needed to cool 1000s of servers, and cooling is where most of the power cost goes.

unfortunately datacentres tend to get built in industrial estates rather than where it would be most energy efficient.

I do agree with what you say AussieBob about using solar (or other source) along with the grid, you would reduce not only the amount of your dependancy on the grid, but also your electric bill too, and lets face it, very penny counts in this ecconomy..

Its the only way the green incentive will work.. Make going green about how much money you can either make, or save, over how much better it is for the envirnment.
    Last edited by network82; 02-20-2010 at 05:34 AM.

Going Green will actually benefit you in long term.

To be honest i think all this "green" nonsense has gone too far.

"Going Green" is just a hype created by the media and hosting companies have naturally taken advantage of this in order to gain more custom =)

In most peoples eyes Green = Good

People think they are doing their bit to save the planet!!

But, to contridict myself, i do agree with ibee, going green will save u a small amount of money in the long term!

Happy hosting =)

<<Signature are to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 02-26-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Call the Hulk to get tips....

No... Going Solar or Wind and having energy efficient servers.
    █ Quality Web Hosting and Support - www.yfreewebhosting.co.uk
    Pick a hosting company where you can build and grow your company.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast