Backlinking guide?

How do we judge a good number of backlinks?

How should I determine if my blog has good backlinks? i see checkers out there but no way to decide if my numbers are good or not.

My blog has 289 backlinks and in my opinion that's GOT to be extremely low
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Hi,

You should also check pagerank of your backlinks along with total backlinks... well 289 is not good number...

Try out this backlink checker... it suggest pagerank of your individual backlinks...

http://www.build-reciprocal-links.co...cker_tool.html

Keep in mind that 1 backlink with pr6 is better than 10 pr5 backlinks...

See there has to be a problem here. Think about this.

I have a site called e-referrer (see my sig). We are tracking 80 million referrers right now. There are thousands of members that are active.

Included in the script code people put on their site is a plain html link to e-referrer. It's not in a javascript call so it should be visible everywhere.

That page shows 40 TOTAl backlinks. It's so absurdly wrong I think it clarifies it's actual credibility for me.

Also to note, I don't believe they've even updated page ranks for the last year. And Google's web site even states it can be 8 months.

So how is this even relevant? I see people saying how drastically important it is, but I can't find a reason to validate that.

What is so important about it? I'm only interested because everyone rants about how important it is.

Also, I know for a fact that the sites that are using the script have the link on their site. I have a script that uses CURL to grab their entire page. if the link isn't there, exactly as it's suppose to be, it reports it to me, and sticks an image above their list. My little way of forcing people not be idiots and remove the link.

So I know the percentage of people that actually have the link on their site and it's over 2000.

This is SO frustrating.

Lastly. Do a search on google for anything about hillary clinton. Good, bad, etc. You'll see that hillarproject.com shows up on the first page on virtually every search. Yet the site has a 5 rank.

This is confusing.

Hell just searching the word Hillary we're in the first 10 hits.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hillary

If I could just get a reasonable grasp on this I could work accordingly.
    Last edited by fastnoc; 07-17-2007 at 07:22 AM.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer