Hybrid View

siteground just sucks

this is to all who wants to go for siteground for the 500gb space and stuff. it sucks. so many restrictions on the amount space that can allocated to files. for eg, if you add all those restrictions, you can't use more than 50gb of space.

then there is the server. mad slow..................... the php? so many functions have been stripped of their usefulness. like did you know that unless you know php by heart and could make a script in a second, there is no way you could open a url-file. i tried file, file_get_content, fopen, fsocketopen and others. all say url-access disabled. oh yeah, they dont update their php versions until next major release is there.

the support. you can't post a ticket that easily. i had to post a 'my site not working' support ticket about something that is completely about their service. if you try to ask them something, they give you same frustrating answers.

did you know that they have no satisfaction guarantee? if you want to cancel, you can but you will lose the first month [not the amount you paid / term] + about 20 for setting up. i thought they had an 'automated system' for that?

trust me, nearly half of my scripts dont work because of their stupid settings. like you dont have full chmod access. max is 755 something. the support guys are idiots. the sales need to answer all question about hosting. one of them left me in the middle of support and left. wow.

could keep on going but gonna sleep now.

Honestly, what you expect for less as $6 a month and having a 500GB package?
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by rainboy View Post
    Honestly, what you expect for less as $6 a month and having a 500GB package?
    I agree with that..
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    General Manager - John K.

Maybe it's time for US customers to start file complaints to BBB.
    -Mr Bister

$6 for 500GB....those 3 words sums up all your complaints if you know what I mean.

Look into quality hosting rather than cheap ones like that which offer what is not possible.

They used to be a great host. But that was back when there space was only 1GB and bandwidth was 50 I think.

this is to all who wants to go for siteground for the 500gb space and stuff
    Should read

this is to all who wants to go for <anyone> for the 500gb space and stuff
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevan25 View Post
    this is to all who wants to go for siteground for the 500gb space and stuff. it sucks. so many restrictions on the amount space that can allocated to files. for eg, if you add all those restrictions, you can't use more than 50gb of space.

Research before you buy next time, and avoid massively oversold packages. It's a topic being debated since ages on WHT, I fail to understand why people signup and post after they've been burned
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevan25 View Post

then there is the server. mad slow..................... the php? so many functions have been stripped of their usefulness. like did you know that unless you know php by heart and could make a script in a second, there is no way you could open a url-file. i tried file, file_get_content, fopen, fsocketopen and others. all say url-access disabled. oh yeah, they dont update their php versions until next major release is there.

the support. you can't post a ticket that easily. i had to post a 'my site not working' support ticket about something that is completely about their service. if you try to ask them something, they give you same frustrating answers.

did you know that they have no satisfaction guarantee? if you want to cancel, you can but you will lose the first month [not the amount you paid / term] + about 20 for setting up. i thought they had an 'automated system' for that?

trust me, nearly half of my scripts dont work because of their stupid settings. like you dont have full chmod access. max is 755 something. the support guys are idiots. the sales need to answer all question about hosting. one of them left me in the middle of support and left. wow.

could keep on going but gonna sleep now.
    I use to host from SiteGround - no offense to them, but I would like to have better English speaking representitives talking to me. I once signed up for a hosting plan from them and this lady called me to verify my account - I could barely understand her.

I'm not stereotyping, I'd just like to better understand their words.

500gb space for $6 so they are offering you over a server of space for $6 when the server costs ~$200-$300/mo?

I could have never thought that they would suck so bad. I have been myself guilty of going with overselling hosts, never expecting alot anyways, but overselling that much?!

There are so many companies out there that love to oversell. As for the backup, that's horrible. Why would I want to pay them to backup my configurations for $25.00 when I could back it up for free with any other hosting provider?

The worst part is that they have the backup feature disabled of Cpanel, and if you want a full backup they will charge you $25 per backup.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Do you have your own backups of your sites? That I think regardless if the provider offers it or not you should always have cuz you never know when you might need it and it's not there so you always gotta have a backup.

Have you already decided who you are trying next? Do a better throughout search of any company before going with them.

Work out how much space you *really* need and then choose a host which provides just that amount for your budget, you will then likely be on a lesser oversold host and therefore happier.

All IMHO.

Maybe it's time for US customers to start file complaints to BBB.
    I doubt that will do any good, except maybe prevent a few customers from signing up. BBB can't force a company to do something it doesn't want to do.

Why would I want to pay them to backup my configurations for $25.00 when I could back it up for free with any other hosting provider?
    Because you signed up with them and now need a backup to transfer out of there, the easy way.

I see that they mention having to request a full account backup via helpdesk, but there's not mention of a fee being involved. http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/cpanel/backup.htm
    Last edited by ldcdc; 07-30-2007 at 10:43 PM.

I know that for sure, I requested it to move one of our customer from them to us, I created the ticket and their answer was that they can do it, however, there's a $25 fee per account, so, to move 2 accounts, the cost was $50.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I wasn't implying that there's no fee, I was implying that they're not 100% upfront about it.

The page that details the "Exclusive Professional Services" that full account backups are part of, doesn't mention a fee for backup creation: http://www.siteground.com/professional_services.htm