What can I do to improve this site?

The site I'm in charge of updating is africaimports.com .
    If anybody has the time to let me know what some of the faults of the site are or anything that seems to be missing or any criticisms or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I need some outside ideas.

Thanks,
    Sam

Here are my suggestions:

1-Use either text buttons, or images that are all the same width and height. If you must use images, make them as small in file size as possible, for slow dial-up connections.

2-Set the websites font to something more professional than Times New Roman. Verdana, and Arial are the best fonts to use simply because every CPU has those fonts installed for default.

3-You always want your Navigation Menu to be the highest. Meaning any "Search" fields should be below it. Navigation is one of the first things web visitors look for when visiting your site.

4-Your general layout could be optimized better. Meaning the resolution you have is great for 1024x768 visitors, but what about those 800x600 visitors. Everything they see will not only be huge, but most of your page won't appear, unless they scroll right.

Those are just my suggestions, hope I'm not too harsh

Hello!

I absolutely love the product selection; you definitely have an exceptional variety of goods!

My main comment is that you may want to consider having a look through the copy/text of your website. There is a lot of text, and some of it just doesn't seem to read properly. For example, on the front page, with those (very cool) tables, you have: "A charming table, famous for Children and adults alike. Great for holding coloring books, drinks or anything else your imagination can think of." 'Famous' isn't exactly the right word -- 'suitable' would work, as would 'designed,' 'intended,' 'perfect,' 'a great choice,' and so on. Also, although a bit more technical, imaginations don't think; you could try saying "Great for hodling color books, drinks, or anything else that you can imagine!" I have some similar concerns with most of the other product descriptions.

I also had a look at the articles page, and started reading through the first one. It seems that similar editing could be done there as well. For example, you have: "Africa is a truly unique Continent. With over 50 countries, and about a thousand different languages; this is a land where diversity is normal. While in Africa, one finds different unique ethnic living within ten miles of each other to be the norm." You could say something like "Africa is a truly unique continent. With over 50 countries and about one thousand different languages in use, one can certainly say that diversity is the norm! Testifying to this is the fact that one can often find completely distinct ethnic groups living within only ten miles of each other." (Upper level anthropology student's note: this is in fact often the case, and is perhaps one of the reasons why the cultures of Africa are still extensively studied.)

In any event, I think the concept is excellent; I'd even recommend you increase the cultural component of it more, if possible. You just may want to look into editing it more carefully yourself, or have a fresh set of eyes have a go at it.

- Reece
    Reece Sellin
    See my LinkedIn Profile

I apologize, My 1st suggestion was pertaining to the navigation menu. "Try to use text, or images that are the same height and width..."

Sorry about that.

use OSCommerce and it will look much better and professional.
    ◊ James | sales@vnpixel.com |
    ◊ aim: vnpixel • msn: support@vnpixel.com • yahoo: vn_pixel
    ◊ http://www.vnpixel.com

Thanks for all of the comments,

Reeces, you definitely weren't too harsh that's exactly the type of comments I needed and you've been a real help.

Tidalhosting, Thanks also. I'm going to gradually be adding to the cultural section. We send out an email every few weeks and each time we're looking to put a new article or two up on the site.

VNPIXEL, I've looked into OSCommerce a little. Do you know of any major websites that use it? I'm not ready to trust the site to a system that I'm not completely sure won't fail.

Thanks,
    Sam

hey, you are using emporiumplus.com or mvcool.com modules right?

Looking good. Miva merchant is the most stable shopping cart ever....

If you need help to beautify your miva merchant . Let me know, I can help.

Oh yeah, get this module "Display Wizrd Pro" from designextend.com. You can modify your whole looks and feel easily with html.

Thats all I can suggest. Good luck
    Last edited by eachone; 03-17-2003 at 12:26 AM.

i love the stuff you are selling. looks slick and comfortable, too bad it would look ridiculous++ on me.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters