Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for Managed VPS with no root access (maybe...)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a managed VPS probably *without* root access.

I'm a coder who'd like to let an expert take care of server management, especially security, hence why I'm looking for a managed VPS. I'm paranoid and I don't want to be kept awake at night worrying about servers getting hacked.

Now because I'm paranoid about security I'm reluctant to go with a managed VPS provider that gives me full root access (I realise people usually want this). I'm ready to be proved wrong but it seems like there's more chance of security maintenance going wrong if you give me, a server admin rookie, root access.

All of the managed VPS hosts that have been recommended to me so far *do* give full root access, which as explained I think its best to avoid for my situation. These hosts are KnownHost and WiredTree.

So I'm looking for a Managed VPS with the following

* Managed VPS - pro-active patching, security, server hardening

* Apache

* MySQL

* PHP

* No root access, unless you can allay my fears given above

* SSH access

* Support can install Passenger, Varnish, GIT, and SSL certificate for me

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance,

Eliot

Having root access, and being responsible with it (ie. not making system changes that you're unsure of) shouldn't pose any problems. I don't think you should limit yourself to providers that do not provide the client root level access. Most truly managed providers will take care of the things you outlined without a problem. The only issue might be with third party software installs; depending on the provider, they might install but not provide any other support besides that. Have you thought about which control panel you feel more comfortable with?
    -M

Why not accept the root access but just not use it? I haven't really seen any VPS providers who wouldn't offer root access to you. This is pretty much the main thing that sets VPS hosting above shared/reseller hosting.

I would guess just about any provider (even the ones you mentioned) could disable root and would be able to do the installs and updates you mentioned. You could still control certain things through your control panel such as creating e-mail acounts and sql databases. There are several free control panels available and as far as I know, the cheapest paid control panel is DirectAdmin. Config Server Firewall is also a good free product and goes great with DirectAdmin. If someone even tries to break in to your server the firewall automatically bans their ip address.
    Cybernet Hosting
    DirectAdmin Shared, Reseller and VPS Hosting.

I would definitely recommend webangel.ie. I am using similar service for year and a half and I'm happy. It's professional and cheap at the same time!

Ok you've convinced me that root access is ok if I handle it right - thank you all for your guidance, I'm converted.

One requirement I forgot that the VPS ought to be located anywhere in the US.

I'm hoping the control panel choice isn't important as long as I can manage email accounts. What the VPS will be running is pretty straightforward: 1 ruby on rails app, 1 wordpress blog, 2 mysql databases, 1 domain with a few subdomains, few hundred emails sent per day, and a handful of email addresses.

Depending on your overall budget I would recommend cPanel for the control panel. RoR usually doesn't come installed by default so you need to make sure with your provider that they'll be able to help you install it.

yeah just disable SSH root access and you should be fine, just get a managed VPS from reputable host.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

eliots, you may consider a shared host, it will be a lot cheaper.

What sort of a budget might you be thinking around elliot ?
    Management services do cost sometimes as much as the small-medium range vps itself .

Why having VPS w/o root access ?
    What are the requirements that cannot fit to Shared hosting plan ?
    CloudVPS
    Affordable VPS Servers - Middle East
    High performance | Green technologies

It's easy to guess .
    He's a developer . He might be looking to test a few scripts of his own . Now would any shared host risk it destabilizing the system ?
    Of course that'd be the worst case scenario , but as they say , 'Prepare for the worst' .

I've been on a shared host for a while with only a single mongrel running. The site is growing and so the hosting needs to move up to the next level.

As far as budget goes it can stretch to the sort of prices WiredTree and KnownHost charge.

Quote Originally Posted by eliots View Post
    I've been on a shared host for a while with only a single mongrel running. The site is growing and so the hosting needs to move up to the next level.
    In what way is it growing? Usually with a VPS, you'll lack certain resources like RAM but if you have another concern for the growth then it may be worth upgrading but you should look at why you have to/want to upgrade. You could end up saving a lot more money just sticking with a shared host especially if you find out that you don't need a VPS. And usually people get VPS' for the root access. Since you don't seem to need it suggests that you don't really need a VPS.

I could be wrong about everything, but it's just what I'm observing at the moment.

All of the managed VPS hosts that have been recommended to me so far *do* give full root access, which as explained I think its best to avoid for my situation. These hosts are KnownHost and WiredTree.
    Eliot, I can't speak for Wired Tree, but I can for KnownHost (I've been with them over 2 years).

If you don't want, or need, root access, just open a support ticket with them and ask to have them disable root access for you. It (support) is what they do, and do extremely well.

I know if you select them, you'll be pretty pleased with their response for support. They're even "known" to give a best effort support for third party apps such as WordPress.

I do recommend you ask them to install and configure the CSF firewall for you right after you purchase a package. It's not done by default, as some people might not want it. But a support request will have it done in minutes.

Also ask them about other ways of securing your site, such as installing mod security. And remember, support is always there for you. Use it.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future. --Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    Why not accept the root access but just not use it? I haven't really seen any VPS providers who wouldn't offer root access to you. This is pretty much the main thing that sets VPS hosting above shared/reseller hosting.
    Exactly and neither have I, root access is what sets the VPS above shared/ reseller hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleven2 View Post
    Exactly and neither have I, root access is what sets the VPS above shared/ reseller hosting.
    Ramhost don't give root access, it is the only one I know. All other providers give root access.

Any good managed VPS provider should be able to maintain root access and take care of the technical side of things if you ask them to.

Quote Originally Posted by BristolSue View Post
    Eliot, I can't speak for Wired Tree, but I can for KnownHost (I've been with them over 2 years).

I do recommend you ask them to install and configure the CSF firewall for you right after you purchase a package. It's not done by default, as some people might not want it. But a support request will have it done in minutes.
    Thanks for the advice Sue!

From reading your post to posting this was less than 15 minutes. And that's all the time it took KnownHost to get it done!

'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxclark View Post
    Ramhost don't give root access, it is the only one I know. All other providers give root access.
    Erm....all our vps are provided with full root access.

Considering our vps are all unmanaged we'd have to provide root access - otherwise they wouldn't be useful

Now, by default root is provided via our recovery console double login - and you could simply choose not to run an sshd which would lower the chance of you getting compromised through that attack vector (and we can disable the recovery console on request too essentially giving you no way to login as root if that's what you really want).

=====

I'm ready to be proved wrong but it seems like there's more chance of security maintenance going wrong if you give me, a server admin rookie, root access.
    If you're worried about that then simply don't use the root access they provide - problem solved
    Last edited by ramnet; 03-26-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

Knownhost, Servint and Wiredtree are all excellent fully managed providers that would more then suite your needs. Why not contact them with your requirements and get a feel for them?

Ubiquity offers managed VPS without root access... Check them out

http://ubiquityservers.com/

Originally Posted by ramnet Erm....all our vps are provided with full root access.
    yes, root is provided via ramhost's recovery console double login

sorry for the confusion, I thought "ssh root@232.23.33.22" was root access
    Last edited by linuxclark; 03-27-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast