Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1and1.com -- How can I recover a lost customer id?

I signed up for 1and1.com a few weeks ago and I got all my information confirmed, etc, etc... but I've lost my customer id.

I've e-mailed them about it, but its been 2 days and they haven't got back to me yet.

Is there any way to get my customer id back?

So far I'm not happy with the service, but thats what I get for not paying anything.

So... how can I get back my customer id and password?

...or are there any other free hosting services that have no pop-up/banner ads and support PHP / MySQL?
      0 Not allowed!

No, hosts cannot continue giving service when they are not being compensated with money or with revenue generated with advertising.

Thus, you are getting no service. Sorry, that's just the way things work.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.
      0 Not allowed!

sofakng,

Imagine if your website was down and you had to wait 2 days for a reply??? Yikes... that would really suck.. You are lucky you only lost your user id. Maybe you are not so lucky next time..
    I like to help
      0 Not allowed!

So far I'm not happy with the service, but thats what I get for not paying anything.
    Why aren't you happy with 1and1?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Maximiliam
    sofakng,

Imagine if your website was down and you had to wait 2 days for a reply??? Yikes... that would really suck.. You are lucky you only lost your user id. Maybe you are not so lucky next time..
    Don't have to imagine I have got 9 or 10 down becasue they can't read der english!
      0 Not allowed!

Since you're on a shared hosting system they will notice early enough when a server goes down :-). JFTR (one more time): I've got a side job with 1&1 in Germany.
      0 Not allowed!

Disagree. Just because the server is up, doesn't mean that websites are. Corruption of zone files, apache breaking, yada blah.. anything can happen while a server is "up".
      0 Not allowed!

Well, it's just a matter of how sophisticated your monitoring software is...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Coach
    Disagree. Just because the server is up, doesn't mean that websites are. Corruption of zone files, apache breaking, yada blah.. anything can happen while a server is "up".
    Yea, and with 100 kazillion, kabillion websites on millions of servers, how much time will elapse before the "sophisticated" monitoring software finds out there is a problem... then the tech has to take out the "server code book" (with numbers) just to find the server.

But this is the same post over and over... it always start with a newbie saying something is wrong... then we post... then we end up saying how bad 1to1 service is then we say how "you get what you pay for" then we say how 1to1 will "shakeup" the industry then the mod stop the posting.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by hekwu
    But this is the same post over and over... it always start with a newbie saying something is wrong... then we post... then we end up saying how bad 1to1 service is then we say how "you get what you pay for" then we say how 1to1 will "shakeup" the industry then the mod stop the posting.
    That pretty much covers it ;-). There are reasons to complain about 1&1 indeed (slow support...), downtime isn't one of them though. And off I am again.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by aldee
    That pretty much covers it ;-). There are reasons to complain about 1&1 indeed (slow support...), downtime isn't one of them though. And off I am again.
    Oh, yea, I should have also said...

then aldee, the cheerleader for 1&1, comes in to save 1&1 and speak highly of them...

Aldee, just a little joke...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

I've had websites at 1and1 for about 1 month now (using their free account offer). Honestly, they're not bad. True, they don't reply to support emails very quikcly and their admin area is very, very slow, but overall, I haven't experienced ANY downtime, yet.

For all those who say that 1and1 will shake up the industry in the US, don't get your hopes up. Unless they make some major modifications to their agreements, especially their database agreement which states that you're not allowed to have any statistics, forums, counters, ad rotators or other database-heavy applications on their servers, they will not get a lot of business.

Now, they may change their agreements for the accounts that aren't free when they come out with those, but it doesn't look like it. They're a huge company, and huge companies usually aren't quick to make changes. I was impressed, however, that they upgraded to MySQL 4.0.16 from 4.0.15a within a week of the release of 4.0.16. There are some large companies that still use 3.23.xx!
    Nokhrin - http://www.nokhrin.com/
    ~ e-commerce application development
      0 Not allowed!

http://tinyurl.com/vylp
    is the T&C for the paid for service in the Uk and is an idication of what they are likely to be in the US. Although my experience of these things are that they tend to follow everyone else in a market.

Downtime.

Would agree that downtime is not an issue normally with 1&1 but the the slow support is an issue when things have gone wrong.

You only really notice how good customer support is when there is a problem that needs sorting. If it takes 3 or 4 days can you afford for it to take that long.

In my case it does not matter as I am not commercially operating the sites that are down at the moment. (its annoying but not financially disaterous) The only org suffering is the charity that benefits from the google ads on the sites. But not by much as the income generated by the ads is only around £40 ($60) a month.

I have a need for UK oe Europe) based service which makes BW expensive and in that 1&1 is one of the cheapest. If using the highest priced product you do get 0800 (freephone) based telephone support. It does speed things up a bit but email and formmail support needs to be faster. Can't see any reason why any email should not be read and responded to in 24 hours.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: 1and1.com -- How can I recover a lost customer id?

Originally posted by sofakng
    Wow. At least you realise that unlike some others who want the whole world for nothing. Good on you.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.
      0 Not allowed!

Hey Guys

I been with 1and1.com for 6months i never experienced any down time site speed is very fast . i was totally impressed on how fast and stable it is. i host a forum with over 800 members and 200-300 guests i was skeptic at first but iam sure glad iam with them ..**There customer support is alittle slow BUT i only used them once when i first signed on So that part dont bug me since i havent had any problems. The best part its free for 3yrs i also went over bandwidth every month lol never charged and also running a phpbb2 message board which they say your not allowed which was cool when i asked.

some of the comments people made about this service kinda bugs me a bit since they never tried them... and to those that are web junkies :-) go test them out they are fast ... and kicks *** on some of these servers for speed .

Cheers
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Gkar
    Hey Guys

I been with 1and1.com for 6months i never experienced any down time site speed is very fast . i was totally impressed on how fast and stable it is. i host a forum with over 800 members and 200-300 guests i was skeptic at first but iam sure glad iam with them ..**There customer support is alittle slow BUT i only used them once when i first signed on So that part dont bug me since i havent had any problems. The best part its free for 3yrs i also went over bandwidth every month lol never charged and also running a phpbb2 message board which they say your not allowed which was cool when i asked.

some of the comments people made about this service kinda bugs me a bit since they never tried them... and to those that are web junkies :-) go test them out they are fast ... and kicks *** on some of these servers for speed .

Cheers
    But they don't allow forums in their TOS...? They might suspend you. Make sure you often take a copy of your database.

(See mno post earlier in THIS thread).
      0 Not allowed!

thanks for the info developer :-) i will make sure i back it up on a regular period..

Chris
    Hittin The Ditch
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Gkar
    Hey Guys

I been with 1and1.com for 6months...
    I wasn't aware that they have been in the US market for six months. Or did you mean that you have been with 1and1.co.uk?
      0 Not allowed!

it was in the .uk then they transfered my webspace for me. also i was worried about the phpbb2 forum it does say in the tos that its not allowed but they said not to worrie about it... and how it started was when i first applied with them i was ftping my php software and i screwed up on the file directory and emailed them to help me fix this well it only took 3 hrs for a reply and they were aware about the phpbb2 and all they said was they were happy to have me on board and enjoy the 3yrs .

i also bought 2 domains from them without any problems. $5.99/year

500 MB Web Space
    5,000 MB / 5 GIG Bandwidth
    No limits on simultaneous hits/bandwidth
    Protected by firewall
    Continuous backups of your website
    99.9% Uptime guarantee

Advanced live site statistics, log files, ready-to-run CGI-library, own CGI programming (Perl, Python), FrontPage 2002 extensions
    Advanced Password Protection
    5 FTP accounts
    PHP3 & PHP4
    MySQL
    Proxy SSL Secure Server
    Cron Jobs
    SSH Secure Shell Access
    Advanced Developer Tools

50 POP3 e-mail accounts (50 MB each)
    Catch-all e-mail addresses
    50 subdomains (e.g., shop.yourDomain.com)
    Point up to 100 external domain name

And its free how many free webspaces do you know that offer everything including PHP???

Brinkster lol

Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by Gkar; 11-21-2003 at 10:34 PM.
    Hittin The Ditch
      0 Not allowed!

Interesting that they moved an already paying customer over to a three year free account.

Glad you have had a good experience with them.
      0 Not allowed!

maybe had to do with me emailing them about moving to there new location in the U.S and dint help when i said i was going to sign up for a free account and close my .uk lol

and if anyone would like to be adventurous go sign up its instant and check it out. i think you might be impressed But dont kill me on the customer email support cause it slow.

Chris
    Hittin The Ditch
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds like the smart thing to do.

You know, now that I think about it, I'm sure that 1&1 (.co.uk) has plenty of North American customers since they are such a large provider. It would be interesting to know just how many of them cancelled their current accounts at .co.uk and moved to the new free ones at the .com.
      0 Not allowed!

1and1.com customer service told me there was alot of the .uk accounts that were moved and that they were ok with it. also word of mouth on the new 1and1.com U.S was there main objective and i think it was smart for them to do it. there signing up over 4000 accounts a day.

And this would be why i just want to share the info with everyone since some of the posters havent.

Employees: Over 1,100 at 1&1
    Total of 3,500 at United Internet
    Technicians: Over 150 Developers and Administrators
    Data Centers: 4 operated by 1&1, 2 owned by 1&1
    Servers installed: 19,000
    Connectivity: 12,000 MBit external Carrier Class Connectivity
    Our Own Backbone
    Customers: 2.5 million customers on paid services
    Domains: 3.5 million Domain Names are registered and handled by 1&1

Financial figures (United Internet as a group*):
    Revenues: $348 Million in 2002 ($158 Million in first half of 2002)
    $451 Million expected for 2003 ($215 Million in first half of 2003)
    EBITDA: $67.4 Million in 2002 ($29.7 Million in first half of 2002)
    $89.1 Million expected for 2003 ($41.3 Million in first half of 2003)
    Profit before taxes: $42.2 Million in 2002 ($19.0 Million in first half of 2002)
    $62 Million expected for 2003 ($29.2 Million in first half of 2003)
    Earning per share: 22 cent in first half of 2002
    30 cent in first half of 2003
    Public listing: IPO in 1998
    Prime Standard of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, Germany
    Tec-Dax
    Market cap: $1 Billion
    share price gained 140% Year-to-Year
    share price gained 330% since IPO in 1998
    P/E ratio of 29 (based on expected figures for 2003)
    Trading volume: $1.5 Million daily average in last 100 days
    Shareholders: ca. 44% Founder
    ca. 11% Strategic Investor
    ca. 45% free float

Now you wonder why its free cause there making a profit

P.S and if it was that bad this WEB HOSTING Talk wouldnt advertise them even if its paid. This forum dont steer there members in the wrong direction
    Last edited by Gkar; 11-21-2003 at 11:10 PM.
    Hittin The Ditch
      0 Not allowed!

All this and they still can't seem to provide adequate support for their customers, or their customers wouldn't be here looking for help.
      0 Not allowed!

i agree on that there slow BUT....... 6months and my site hasnt gone down and just as fast as this site.

but its not like some people say they might be slow but they do get back to you..

maybe iam special???? lol remember i been with them for 6 months havent experienced any Problems

also sometimes its not wise to do things you dont know how or never attempted. and maybe some of these people wouldnt complain i find the reading the forums the complainers are the runs that dont have experience and look around for help shoot i do it here and there myself.

its like this i have no ASP software experience but iam going to start a site oh no its not working OK NOW IAM CALLING MY PROVIDER ..... lol its not there responsibility to help every fool like that.

and just think most providers would dream to have what 1and1 has there servers state of the art. have you seen there server rooms backup generators looks sweet and 90% dont have that.

and think about this SHAW high speed customer service is screwed wait online for 10hrs but there service is fast and reliable
    gotta give and take.

and it doesnt matter any ways because any webspace provider can please all there customers

what kills me it FREEEEEEEEEEEE now if you were paying for it you do get a 1-800 number for contact which is great.

come on 500 meg space mysql 5gig bandwidth what the hell do you expect.........
    Last edited by Gkar; 11-21-2003 at 11:43 PM.
    Hittin The Ditch
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast