Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    If you had a server for 10EUR / month and the provider starts offering the same server for 3EUR / month without updating your price, wouldn't you cancel the old server and order a new one at the lower price instead?
    No, for 7 euros difference it doesn't worth the migration.

Quote Originally Posted by Spluut View Post
    Apparently the main problem is people are ditching the old servers as soon as they release new ones..
    If they had setup fee this wouldn't happen.

I thing there are much bigger problems lately, the bandwidth seems to have gone to sh*t

And I am not talking about OVH>Internet but OVH<>OVH transfers between servers (SP,MG and HG ranges)

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    I would agree that ISPs generally have more leeway here. They could put an entire neighborhood behind NAT and only a handful of people would notice or care. A lot of international ISPs don't give users "real" ips as it is. So the ISP networks have a lot of leeway to make their allotments last well past exhaustion, and it's a lot easier pill to swallow compared to overhauling everyones networks. Heck, if prices go to $10 / ip / month, ISP networks could put a few million customers behind nat and rent out that million IPs to content networks. Given the typical margins in the ISP business, they could make more money renting out spare IPv4 than they ever did offering internet service.
    Wouldn't having Ipv6 be hell for protecting against DDoS attacks?

Hate to say I told you so. They raced to the bottom and reached it. And hurt the industry in the process.

No sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by mihd View Post
    I thing there are much bigger problems lately, the bandwidth seems to have gone to sh*t

And I am not talking about OVH>Internet but OVH<>OVH transfers between servers (SP,MG and HG ranges)
    That would be because they sold so many servers in a short period of time and did this while moving into a lower quality bandwidth which they announced they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutHosting View Post
    That would be because they sold so many servers in a short period of time and did this while moving into a lower quality bandwidth which they announced they were doing.
    The thing thats annoying me is HG > HG transfers, these were on a separate network to the rest of them servers so I am surprised as to why I am getting slow speeds backing up between servers which are not too far apart

edit: doesn't look particularly congested either
    http://weathermap.ovh.net/hg

The thing thats annoying me is HG > HG transfers, these were on a separate network to the rest of them servers so I am surprised as to why I am getting slow speeds backing up between servers which are not too far apart
    Because you get what you pay for sorry to be blunt about it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutHosting View Post
    Because you get what you pay for sorry to be blunt about it lol.
    1100 euro a month is not peanuts...

1100 euro a month is not peanuts...
    No one said it was, But you are paying to be in such network as OVH's we all know what takes place in there so why complain when things go slow? you knew the risks.

So strange... But sometimes it happens. They can't control their growing up, so they need to go by 3 steps: stop, think and do.

OVH

Yes, OVH is getting bigger day by day..

It's mainly because of their fantastic support & great deals.

I have watched a small documentary on OVH's DataCenter, it's quite superb.

It's quite strange how they have sold out though...

Quote Originally Posted by rowsko View Post
    Yes, OVH is getting bigger day by day...
    Untrue, according their own statement most business comes from existing customers that move to cheaper plans.
    So the amount of servers grows but the amount of turnover in received income / month drops rapidly causing trouble to OVH.

It's mainly because of their fantastic support & great deals.
    No offense, as a former OVH client myself (checking what the fuss is about) the support is pretty non existent (so very poor), network is one of the worst i ever encountered, the only engine of growth there is the lowest price in the industry, so low that it cannot turn a profit.

I have watched a small documentary on OVH's DataCenter, it's quite superb.
    You likely seen some marketing video there, i admit that part looks pretty good.

Having used an OVH server myself in the past, I found it to be just fine, that is until I tried installing a custom kernel.

Anyone that's tried doing this on an OVH server will know what I mean, only during/afterwards do you realise that you should have RTFM.

Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    I read their statement as, "We've discovered a flaw in our business model that's draining our cash and we need to figure a way to fix it so we're shutting down the front end for a little bit."

I'm sure they're finding that instead of the 3-4 year life cycle they thought they'd have on a server they're seeing a year. Knowing what I know about their cost model, they still make money at a year but probably not enough to satisfy the lenders they've taken on for the new expansions and not enough, long enough to stop a cash hemorrhage.

They probably did a good thing. Stopped the flow to give themselves some breathing room. Much better than plowing full speed ahead and eventually imploding.
    Even the most wildly optimistic calculations show they need 2-3 years to make money on a server at that 2.99euro price. So I agree with most of your logic except that I think it's MUCH worse then you think. If you need 2-3 years to recoup your costs and customers are ditching their servers after a year to move to the next shiny object, yea that's a flaw in the business model all right.

Problem could be solved by having no setup on old hardware and setup on new hardware

Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    Even the most wildly optimistic calculations show they need 2-3 years to make money on a server at that 2.99euro price.
    I am not sure how they come to that calculation. Even while they get the hardware mostly free, it still turns a loss every month with power, network and staff charges alone.
    If they would get space, power and staff somehow free (impossible) they would need several years to earn back that hardware.
    If they would have to pay for the HW. then we talk about 9-12 months for Mainboard/CPU combi and 9 months for the HDD, not counting other costs like memory, cables and central PDU setup. Yes, i counted the discounts they will get by buying bulk.
    But that's not relevant as they get the hardware (nearly) free, using clever tricks. Even then, its a loss making deal as they need to pay for power, staff, networking and general overhead. The 3 euro deal is clearly a loss leader offer. Such an offer will attract also insane amounts of abuse *and* will tempt their current customers with a single large server to simply move to a few small ATOM's and cancel the larger server, causing them to lose income on a monthly basis and that will result ultimately into not being able to service their 200 Million dollar+ debt
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 09-18-2013 at 10:39 AM.

i can't believe this all those servers are sold out
    one company are rest Hetzner !

It's only good, this way other companies get more business, certainly the other ones who target the low-budget market.
    I'm sure they are overwhelmed now with orders

Quote Originally Posted by 24x7group View Post
    It's only good, this way other companies get more business, certainly the other ones who target the low-budget market.
    I'm sure they are overwhelmed now with orders
    I sincerely doubt that. OVH was unique in its class and the alternative (actually, a far BETTER alternative in terms of reliability and uptime) is a decent VPS.

Yes, OVH is getting bigger day by day..

It's mainly because of their fantastic support
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Anafal View Post
    one company are rest Hetzner !
    huh??

Main problem here is: People seem to believe everything is possible and some businesses have some magic wand that defies logic. They are always proven wrong eventually. Dotcom bubble, house market bubble, we all seem to forget it far too easily, even in a period of crisis.
    Lets take the hard facts. OVH has a debt of 390 million USD, $190 million will mature within 20 months from now, this means they have the refinance or repay the debt. In the meantime they have to service the debt by paying interest on the debt.
    390 million USD against 170 000 servers online, that's a debt of $2294,- per dedicated server online today. A large amount (30000? they published it somewhere) of these they rent to endusers for $3,- / month, another significant amount is rented out for less then $20,- / month. You do not have to be a math genius to see where this is going.
    Yes they do some other activities, their main source of income however is dedicated server rental and now.... thee government funds are drying up while new clients and revenue per client both decline rapidly....
    To quote their own words "We work in a fast-growing field, with an investment business model that is very cash burning" this is definitely true.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 09-18-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Main problem here is: People seem to believe everything is possible and some businesses have some magic wand that defies logic. They are always proven wrong eventually. Dotcom bubble, house market bubble, we all seem to forget it far too easily, even in a period of crisis.
    Lets take the hard facts. OVH has a debt of 390 million USD, $190 million will mature within 20 months from now, this means they have the refinance or repay the debt. In the meantime they have to service the debt by paying interest on the debt.
    390 million USD against 170 000 servers online, that's a debt of $2294,- per dedicated server online today. A large amount (30000? they published it somewhere) of these they rent to endusers for $3,- / month, another significant amount is rented out for less then $20,- / month. You do not have to be a math genius to see where this is going.
    Yes they do some other activities, their main source of income however is dedicated server rental and now.... thee government funds are drying up while new clients and revenue per client both decline rapidly....
    To quote their own words "We work in a fast-growing field, with an investment business model that is very cash burning" this is definitely true.

Where did you get those digits?

No offense, as a former OVH client myself (checking what the fuss is about) the support is pretty non existent (so very poor)
    No offence, but as a local competitor I can understand why you would want to join this bandwagon. The truth is (as you should know) many people confuse the local sales/billing/admin teams (who answer to the customersupport@whatever OVH site you deal with email address) with the actual support team. Anyone who has REAL practical experience of support at OVH will most likely confirm that the "intervention team" are top notch. Just a few days ago they spotted an issue with one of our boxes, we confirmed with a dmesg.txt, they scheduled a planned intervention with us, did it on time, replaced a drive, rebuilt the raid, and got the box back online in short order. Any server ordered under/from OVH (not Kimsufi) comes with an SLA, and those are met, so let's not say otherwise unless you can cite real life experience that refutes it. Not once in the last 7 or 8 years of being an OVH customer have I seen them behave any differently.

Yes, the Kimsufi SLA seem to have fallen by the wayside a bit under the new scheme of things but if you know how to play them at their own game you can achieve almost the same rapid response to issues as with an OVH box. It's not difficult or rocket science.

network is one of the worst i ever encountered
    That's just pure bunkum. With the recent upgrade from a total capacity of 2Tb to 5Tb they've upped the limits on existing servers and we're seeing that improvement consistently right across everything we have with them. Being able to deliver traffic right down their own network to local peering points, rather than rely on local handoffs to other networks, has got to be considered a plus point. OK, never will I expect you to agree with that, so let's not argue about it as we went there before

Quote Originally Posted by BalticServers Andrius View Post
    Where did you get those digits?
    IE the 190 Million dollar, maturing in 2 years from June 2013
    http://www.ovh.com/us/a1112.ovh-com-...llions-dollars

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    No offence, but as a local competitor I can understand why you would want to join this bandwagon.
    Its nothing to us truth be told, we surely compete with various providers (Softlayer, Rackspace, Wiredtree, Steadfast amongst others) for business, but we do not compete with the ultimate budget providers, unless sporadically so and in a very limited way.

Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    That's just pure bunkum. With the recent upgrade from a total capacity of 2Tb to 5Tb they've upped the limits on existing servers and we're seeing that improvement consistently right across everything we have with them. Being able to deliver traffic right down their own network to local peering points, rather than rely on local handoffs to other networks, has got to be considered a plus point. OK, never will I expect you to agree with that, so let's not argue about it as we went there before
    Even if these numbers are correct, their weather-map profile shows otherwise, they still split this 5Tbps capacity between multiple locations correct? many users nowadays have problems moving traffic from one OVH server to the other, so they have some internal network problem, maybe its their DDOS mitigation platform? its likely they route all traffic, internal and external trough this platform. the OVH network is one of the top originators of DDOS attacks, so it would make sense to do so.
    5Tbps is 5000 gigabit/s divided over 170 000 servers (29 Mbps per server on average - 3 Mbyte / server) plus the traffic generated by their cloud/vps platform.... so less per dedicated server, on average. 29 Mbps is not a lot of bandwidth per server sold, i can say all other true dedicated providers do MUCH better then this.
    ---
    Delivered over their own network actually means: Using MPLS transport over networks of the likes Interoute and Zayo, combined with leased 10 Gbps wavelengths here and there, they did not actually rent a lot of dark fiber (unless in metro regions) and certainly did not buy any dark fiber or put any dark fiber into the ground.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 09-18-2013 at 06:53 PM.

IE the 190 Million dollar, maturing in 2 years from June 2013
    http://www.ovh.com/us/a1112.ovh-com-...llions-dollars
    And that means what exactly? If you've bothered to follow the activities and ambitions of the Klaba family you'll already know that they're pumping back all the profits each family member earns right back into the business for 10 years. Please don't tell us that you don't sometimes draw on a temporary overdraft facility from your bank when you get a rush on orders. Wait just a second, I haven't checked my Euro lottery ticket from last night

Its nothing to us truth be told, we surely compete with various providers (Softlayer, Rackspace, Wiredtree, Steadfast amongst others) for business, but we do not with the ultimate budget providers.
    Then why are you in this thread trying to put down their particular model? Sure it's not the same as yours, nor does it profess to be, and I'm sure you'll do very nicely out of yours just the same as OVH will do out of theirs. Please don't try to smudge other provider's models that aren't the same as yours, because people could soon see through your posts about other companies as an attempt to put down the oposition which, judging by by your own posts and opinions here, aren't competition at all (or so you say)?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast