Is PHP hosting with mySQL faster than SQL Server?

Hi,

My site is getting very slow and I am looking ways to improve the execution of .asp web pages. After some searching, I found out that php hosting with Linux running on mySQL is comparatively better asp with SQL Server in terms of cost and speed.

I would be glad if anyone here who has good experience with both hosting platform can share some knowledge about php hosting with mySQL database and how does compare with asp and SQL server in terms of speed and execution.

IF PHP is a better choice, I intend to host on a php hosting site and convert my site and run it on mySQL database.

Cristiano
    HostPulse.com - Hosting Directory & Tips
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

Greetings:

Over the years, we've found PHP to be faster than ASP especially with database driven sites.

Check out http://php.weblogs.com/ADODB and http://smarty.php.net/ to help make your life easier when working with PHP and mySQL.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

There's some comparisons here :

To quote the conclusion :

"It is not true that SQL Server 2000 is better than MySQL version 4.1 or vice versa. Both products can be used to build stable and efficient system and the stability and effectiveness of your applications and databases depend rather from the experience of the database developers and database administrator than from the database's provider. But SQL Server 2000 has some advantages in comparison with MySQL version 4.1 and vice versa."

Which is good advice however, perhaps even more important than that you need to consider the load on the database servers in each case.

With Linux type hosting MySQL is typically run on the same server as the web server whereas with MS SQL it would typically be on a machine devoted just to that task.

In most cases I would expect MS SQL on a dedicated server to outperform MySQL operating on a typically loaded web server - BUT there's no guarantee of this as the host could be overloading their SQL Server too

SQL Server will also cost you a LOT more.

Obviously I'm biased and if budget is not a huge concern I'd recommend MS SQL however if your pockets aren't that deep then MySQL is the obvious choice.

Also, to muddy the waters a little more you might want to check out hosts offering PostgreSQL as this is very highly rated by many.
    Invectis - Windows 2000, 2003 and MS SQL Server web hosting

Hi Invectis,

Thanks for sharing. My site is running on a dedicated MS SQL server, but it is being used by many other website as well.

Invectis, how do you allocate how many sites to use a dedicated MS SQL Server?

webhostingtalk is using mySQL and to think of it, the web pages loads very fast. I am still considering, but mostly to stick with .asp and SQL Server.

Cristiano
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

WHT is hosted on more than a single machine so that helps it being fast. Also there are no avatars in place here. This also helps to limit download time.

The problem with a shared resource is that it's not how you access it, it's how other access it that's the problem.

The only thing you can really do is to ensure that all (if possible, if not, most) of the queries you issue are optimised. You could perhaps look at populating application level arrays for common lookup tables to reduce the number of queries.

You may have a fully optimised database and application, but if you get a newbie doing a few joins on a non-optimised database on the same server, then you're going to get impacted.

Is the bottleneck on the ASP server or SQL server ?

What does your host's support say about performance ?

Have you run the application & database on a local server to compare response times ? I'd suggest tuning both application & database locally, then run it again on the Internet connected boxes and see what difference it makes. If it's still slow, then you probably need a less stressed box.

Choose the language and database system that fits your needs, PHP & MySQL will be cheaper than ASP & MSSQL, but you may require features in the database not offered by MySQL. You could even have ASP & MySQL or PHP & MSSQL

I support MySQL & MSSQL, so have no axe to grind about either.

Hi Monaghan,

I believe the bottle neck is happening on the ASP server. Yes, we are hosted on a shared server which other sites may slow down many other things.

I am strongly think of changing to mySQL,but the amount of work converting it from SQL Server is too enormous.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cristiano
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

Unless the site is very trivial, which it sounds like it isn't, it would probably be a better idea to tune what you have and move hosts if you need to rather than rewriting the whole thing for gains that may not even exist.

Re: Is PHP hosting with mySQL faster than SQL Server?

Originally posted by 25hosts
    Hi,

My site is getting very slow and I am looking ways to improve the execution of .asp web pages. After some searching, I found out that php hosting with Linux running on mySQL is comparatively better asp with SQL Server in terms of cost and speed.

I would be glad if anyone here who has good experience with both hosting platform can share some knowledge about php hosting with mySQL database and how does compare with asp and SQL server in terms of speed and execution.

IF PHP is a better choice, I intend to host on a php hosting site and convert my site and run it on mySQL database.

Cristiano
    Hmm...are you sure it's database that is slowing you down? If so then I would use caching to reduce load on database. I am not sure how it's done in ASP, but I am sure it can be done. I myself use caching to store output of my PHP files as separate files thus reloading page would simply come from file and would not query database at all.

Hi Forse

Forse,

When the number of web users starts to get higger, things slow down suddenly.

Thanks for sharing. I can convert it to HTML format, but I have other codes that I must run. Thanks for your input. After some researching, I believe moving to a VPS hosting service would be a better and cost effective choice.

Cristiano
    Cheap Web Hosting
    ASP Hosting
    Domain Hosting

Re: Hi Forse

Originally posted by 25hosts
    Forse,

When the number of web users starts to get higger, things slow down suddenly.

Thanks for sharing. I can convert it to HTML format, but I have other codes that I must run. Thanks for your input. After some researching, I believe moving to a VPS hosting service would be a better and cost effective choice.

Cristiano
    I didn't mean HTML converting. You could use database layer (there are a lot of free ones) which would generate cache files. It would update cache every X minutes. Also you can exclude some files from caching which have to run run everytime.

But yeah if we're talking about BIG site then moving to better server would be good

If you think the bottleneck is the ASP server rather than the MSSQL server, then I don't see how it will help converting to PHP & MySQL, surely the solution is a faster or less overcrowded ASP host ?

By converting to PHP, won't you'll still hit the same issues if the PHP server is overloaded ?

I'd get your current host to monitor the server hosting the ASP pages