will release new cpu months later ?

Hi,

i want to build new server and use X10SLM+-F with E3-1230 V3,

i know it was release at Q2'13,

i just wonder if there will release any new cpu months later,

if yes,i would not think to order and wait a new one.

We try to wait a few months after release before rolling out anything new, this allows time for others to discover firmware and bios bugs and sort out all the headaches. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ttgt View Post
    Hi,

i want to build new server and use X10SLM+-F with E3-1230 V3,

i know it was release at Q2'13,

i just wonder if there will release any new cpu months later,

if yes,i would not think to order and wait a new one.
    You'll constantly battle Intel
    Why not order it, if it'll satisfy your requirements? Sounds like you're purchasing this server for your self rather than in bulk.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cisneros View Post
    You'll constantly battle Intel
    Why not order it, if it'll satisfy your requirements? Sounds like you're purchasing this server for your self rather than in bulk.
    not much server,just 3-5 servers one time.

Yes, the newer generation Intel Broadwell CPUs are to be released this year. And SkyLake CPUs are also coming soon. When exactly? Noone knows, not even Intel probably If you ask them Broadwell had to be already in stores, the release was already delayed several times.

There's already a newer version (well, refresh anyway) out, the E3 1231v3. Price is about the same, but it's clocked 100MHz higher. Broadwell is supposed to be out in the middle of 2015, and will be compatible with current motherboards/chipsets. As such, there should not be any driver compatibility issues, although there might be some updates needed in power savings code as Broadwell introduces some new CPU states if I recall correctly from when details of the architecture were first released. It's just a tick (die shrink) generation, and since E3's are stuck at 4 cores, not much interesting is going to come out of them. Only the E5's are going to be interesting for Broadwell, as there will likely be increased core counts given some of the same model numbers.

The v5's are coming out just a few months after. They'll support up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM, which is a much needed bump up. However, they'll still be stuck at 4 cores. If you're just buying a single machine and don't need more than 32GB of RAM, there's no sense in waiting for this either as any performance increases are going to be modest.

If buying a large number of machines however, the power savings might be worth it, although E3 v3's are already pretty good as they are. If you're looking to save power, the Xeon D's will have a SoC design, but will make more sense in a blade type configuration so that you have the density needed to take advantage of the lower power requirements.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

I am not sure Broadwell will be compatible with Haswell motherboards, intel had plans to remove the VRM (or at least the inductors) from the CPU and place them on the motherboad again.

Quote Originally Posted by ttgt View Post
    not much server,just 3-5 servers one time.
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 60
    model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 3391.784
    cache size : 8192 KB

Go for it if your budget is in this cpu range.

Performance is really great.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

E3-1230v3 and E3-1231v3 are both great processors, but I'm not sure it is really worth waiting around for the latest and greatest, as Intel will always be releasing a new processor. Although the v3 models are newer and faster than v2 models, it is not night and day difference, and most users will not tell a difference between the last version and the new version.

Given I have a bit of NDA perspective. But what I can say is that the Xeon D is going to be the big launch for me this year. (Xeon Phi refresh a close second).

The Xeon D has been announced at IDF14 as a SoC with 10GbE and ECC support and a bunch of other features that I would expect to make a splash at this end of the market. We are planning to cover it thoroughly.
    My site dedicated to server and workstation hardware: http://www.servethehome.com

Quote Originally Posted by pjkenned View Post
    Given I have a bit of NDA perspective. But what I can say is that the Xeon D is going to be the big launch for me this year. (Xeon Phi refresh a close second).

The Xeon D has been announced at IDF14 as a SoC with 10GbE and ECC support and a bunch of other features that I would expect to make a splash at this end of the market. We are planning to cover it thoroughly.
    I've only heard a bit about it from news sites like cpu-world, but am really looking forward to the Xeon D also. From the sounds of it, this will be the new entry level server CPU as opposed to lower end E3's, while using a fraction of the power and fitting in a small form factor. I think it's going to bring microservers into the main stream, which is very exciting for us as an early adopter in this field.

I'm really hoping that Supermicro makes a Xeon D option for the MicroBlade platform, and is quick to market with it once the Xeon D is released. A single node 45W TDP CPU node per blade would still be plenty of capacity when packing 28 nodes into 6U, and would be ideal for hosting purposes.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    I've only heard a bit about it from news sites like cpu-world, but am really looking forward to the Xeon D also.
    More to come
    My site dedicated to server and workstation hardware: http://www.servethehome.com

I don't think broadwell e3's will be out until q3 15. The 15w i5/i7 broadwells (ultrabooks, i5/i7-5xxx) are JUUST getting out of engineering so +7 months is a safe bet before you will see e3 v4's (but they'll be pretty sweet, more of a change than v2->v3).

Quote Originally Posted by webedgeco View Post
    I don't think broadwell e3's will be out until q3 15. The 15w i5/i7 broadwells (ultrabooks, i5/i7-5xxx) are JUUST getting out of engineering so +7 months is a safe bet before you will see e3 v4's (but they'll be pretty sweet, more of a change than v2->v3).
    v3 -> v4 is just a tick (die shrink from 22nm to 14nm). It'll still be at 4 cores, and max 32GB of DDR3 RAM. It's unlikely much will change other than better power consumption. Why would you say it'll be a bigger change than v2 -> v3 which was a tock (new microarchitecture)? v4 -> v5 will be the next tock, and support up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM.

v3 -> v4 is just a tick (die shrink from 22nm to 14nm). It'll still be at 4 cores, and max 32GB of DDR3 RAM. It's unlikely much will change other than better power consumption. Why would you say it'll be a bigger change than v2 -> v3 which was a tock (new microarchitecture)? v4 -> v5 will be the next tock, and support up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM.
    Ivy bridge(v2) -> haswell(v3) was something like 8% gain across the board for power:performance ratio, despite being a tock.

haswell -> broadwell is closer to 30%, thats huge, even if it's not a completely new design, they still make improvements in path prediction and cache logic.

broadwell integrated gpus (hd6000, GT3+) are much improved over previous gen, ie: avx3.1 vs avx2.

Might be a tick, but real world numbers are going to be big. Lots more integrated/embedded solutions too (outside of the xeon family mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by webedgeco View Post
    haswell -> broadwell is closer to 30%, thats huge, even if it's not a completely new design, they still make improvements in path prediction and cache logic.
    There hasn't been an IPC improvement like that since Sandy Bridge or Core2, which were both tocks. I can't seem to find any reports of that kind of performance improvement in Broadwell. Anandtech suggested 4-6% similar to Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge. What source are you referencing?

There hasn't been an IPC improvement like that since Sandy Bridge or Core2, which were both tocks. I can't seem to find any reports of that kind of performance improvement in Broadwell. Anandtech suggested 4-6% similar to Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge. What source are you referencing?
    Intel was quoting 5% increase in performance due to pathing optimizations ghz per ghz, and a noticable power reduction with the 14nm process. The broadwell iGPU is 40% faster than haswell.

from intel:

“We are seeing up to a 30% power reduction at the same performance levels just by moving [SACA] compatible from the Haswell to the Broadwell, without even a lot of performance tuning that we will see,” said Mr. Skaugen.
    from intel themselves, most testing on the broadwell-Y chips have shown this to be true