Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AboveNet

AboveNet

How do you guys rate AboveNet nowadays? I haven't herd much about them latly. How do you rate them? I'm looking at doing a deal with them for under $20\mbps.
    Best Wishes,

Blake L. Smith - blake@xtremebandwidth.com
    XtremeBandwidth.com, Inc. - Wholesale Tier1 Bandwidth!

$20/Mbps ?
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

wow

Let me know how that works out?
    Marlin eSourcing Solutions Collocation Services
    tel. (407) 251.2064
    cel. (407) 592.0000
    http://www.marliness.net

Some problem here and there. It isn't as strong as it used to be. West coast is stronger then East coast still.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

We've used them as one of our providers for quite awhile and are overal very happy with their service.

However, I can tell you we have a very big commit with them and the price does not come any where close to $20.00 Mbs.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

The reason I as is because I havent really ran into them as competitor selling other carriers. People havent said how great they are, or complained about them.
    Best Wishes,

Re: AboveNet

Originally posted by XtremeBandwidth
    How do you guys rate AboveNet nowadays? I haven't herd much about them latly. How do you rate them? I'm looking at doing a deal with them for under $20\mbps.
    You can't really get anything other than HE or BTN at that pricing (HE and BTN are normally $25/mbps at high commits).

-Josh

Ya, they made me a good offer. I just want to make sure people like AboveNet.
    Best Wishes,

People like Above.net, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Above.net official pricing is 25/meg on a gigE, that was a month ago.
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

No problems here. We have been a customer since April 2003 and have not seen any network outages. One minor glitch was when someone cut a fiber cable under the sea and our connectivity to Europe was interrupted for a few hours sometime last year. I have not seen any other problems. Pretty amazing, if you ask me.

At $20/Mbit, you're probably looking at well over a 1Gbit commit. That is a good deal if you can swing the MRC.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Originally posted by Mfjp
    Some problem here and there. It isn't as strong as it used to be.
    Can you expand on this? I would like to know specifics. Here in San Jose, it has really been flawless. No network outages, no power outages, not even any "scheduled maintenance" network outages for 14+ months. I am extremely picky and I don't say that lightly. I'd be interested in knowing what you're seeing that's different.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Thank you Erica. Thats good news. I have a meeting tomorrow and I'm signing.

PS... its a 6gig commit.
    Best Wishes,

blake,

i might be giving you a call =] in all seriousness, abovenet is 'ok' and makes for a decent addition to a bgp blend. if that is the market you sell to, you should be fine. i wouldn't run them single-homed though, as i've seen some cross-country performance issues and the 'couple hours of no connectivity to europe because of a single fiber cut' seems rather serious to me.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

I have only a hand full of customers who are single homed, and thats on the Level3 network. Large customers are almost always multi-homed.
    Best Wishes,

We just recently added above to our mix, there was 2 major incidents.

A "maintanence" which was done in chicago around 1-2am but done w/o notice, when inquired they apologized. The second incident was when they were upgrading there MPLS this caused quite few problems, there was some major problems especially in the chicago area on there peering router mpr2 which caused alot of our customers to not be able to access our network, we had to remove our ip advertisements from the bgp session so it could reroute properly thru 1 of the other 2 carriers.

People also complained about this on the nanog list, if you wish to look further into it. This was resolved within a 24 hour window no less then 14.

Other then that, they have a pretty good support team, and they seem to be clueful. They do listen if you bitch about routes, they will do what they can to adjust routes. We had complained about some poor routes from chicago to Cali which stopped in dallas first, they fixed that and it is now direct saving 20ms in response times.

There network is pretty good, descent peering. For there backbone, they own almost all the fiber in the metro areas where they have a large presence, long haul is provided by the likes of williams and GC in swap for metro fiber.

Overall, they seem to have a good impression. I was just looking at AboveNET's network map and it seems to me to be pretty impressive.
    Website Hosting - Search For Your Next Web Host.
    Web Hosting Software - Web Hosting Related Software and Products Directory.

Originally posted by rusko
    and the 'couple hours of no connectivity to europe because of a single fiber cut' seems rather serious to me.
    I mentioned it because it's the only thing I can think of in 14 months that even comes close to a network outage. In fact, most of Level(3)'s routes were down as well at that time. The fiber that was cut was pretty major and affected a large portion of trans-continental traffic.

One small problem (that really wasn't specifically AboveNet's) in 14 months is not what I would classify as "okay." I would classify that as way better than "okay." When I came into AboveNet, I wasn't sure of their quality either. I knew they were good, but never expected them to be as good as they are. I know I sound like a shill. Whatever. My huge monthly bill to AboveNet will prove that they aren't paying me to say this.

I have been around the block when it comes to colo. I've heard everything from "We're rebooting the router now; give us 5 minutes" to "We have to page our network engineer to fix that; give it an hour and it will be back online" to "It's our provider's fault" to you name it when it comes to excuses for outages. AboveNet doesn't need to make excuses because there aren't outages. There aren't even little short 5-minute outages or "scheduled maintenance" outages or anything like that. I am a very demanding person when it comes to uptime, and I don't take crap excuses from providers. That's why I eventually moved away from not one, not two, but three other colocation facilities in the past 5 years. All of them made excuses. AboveNet doesn't have to.

One more thing is their long haul capacity is up to limit. Not sure if they have deal with this or not yet. What they have done is route traffic over their shorter haul network. Eg. Traffic that would be fastest from SJC --> Washington direct sometimes takes SJC --> Dallas --> Chicago --> Washington to avoid congestion on the long haul. Not sure about the current situation though, I had seen them doing that 1 month back.

ya I think that is a problem with them. They are nearing capacity in areas.
    Best Wishes,

right, i completely forgot about the mpls-related incident. that did get pretty bad. afaik, the issue was not fixed - they reverted back to the previous config. in all fairness, it is likely to have been an issue of the 'this only happens when venus is in saturn's apex and you are doing it on production gear' sort. i personally am not too enamored with mpls for religious reasons, but hey. erica, please be gentle =]

paul

and the 'couple hours of no connectivity to europe because of a single fiber cut' seems rather serious to me.

IIRC this wasn't a single cut (if this was TAT14), both the primary and secondary loop went offline...

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/n.../msg00649.html
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

ouch, i recall that now. in the interest of being accurate/pedantic, it was just the one *loop*, but both legs got cut, taking the loop offline. leo talked about that i think. double failure in this case removes the blame, of course. can someone chime in with who else relied heavily on tat14?

paul

Yes, sorry, I badly worded that... both the northern and southern legs of the loop were down

Best info we have is that there are two outages. One has existed
    for the last 3 weeks or so between Tuckerton (New Jersey) and Bude (UK). It takes out the "southern path" across the atlantic.

There is a second outage between Bude (UK) and Katwijk (NL). For circuits that landed in London or France this (should have) taken out the redundant path for those circuits.

Circuits from Tuckerton (New Jersey) or Manasquan (New Jersey) to Katwijk (NL), Norden (DE), or some city in Denmark who's name I forget should still be up on the northern path.

So, if you're in London or France your circuits are likely to be
    down, however some people in those locations used Contentinal
    capacity to link up to Katwijk, in which case they might still be
    operational.

Both problems are undersea issues, so don't expect speedy resolution if you are down.
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

Yes, that was the outage. Most of our customers' traceroutes stopped in Level(3) in Europe. This wasn't really an AboveNet-specific problem, but in the interest of full disclosure, I thought I'd bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mfjp
    What they have done is route traffic over their shorter haul network. Eg. Traffic that would be fastest from SJC --> Washington direct sometimes takes SJC --> Dallas --> Chicago --> Washington to avoid congestion on the long haul.
    I haven't seen this in any of our traceroutes, but it's still possible that it's happening. Our traceroutes do jump straight from SJC3->SJC2->WDC.

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    Yes, that was the outage. Most of our customers' traceroutes stopped in Level(3) in Europe. This wasn't really an AboveNet-specific problem, but in the interest of full disclosure, I thought I'd bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mfjp
    What they have done is route traffic over their shorter haul network. Eg. Traffic that would be fastest from SJC --> Washington direct sometimes takes SJC --> Dallas --> Chicago --> Washington to avoid congestion on the long haul.
    I haven't seen this in any of our traceroutes, but it's still possible that it's happening. Our traceroutes do jump straight from SJC3->SJC2->WDC.
    That was only an example I thought up about. The scenario is/has happened in some of the traces I done, but I can't recall totally where/when it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast