vpn access to internet

I am planning to move my existing reseller account onto a vps with linux/cpanel. Shouldnt be any problem.

The tricky part though. I was hoping the vps would also be able to function as a VPN server. Basically I want to allow staff who are off site access to files placed on the server and in addition allow them to use the vpn to get internet access for things like internet telephony, messenger etc.
    Basically they can quite easily get wireless connections in coffee shops etc but often are unable to access certain ports for things like Internet Telephony, messenger. Would I be able to use the server for this role at the same time as hosting sites and what software would I need to do this.

ipeliminator.com provide a vpn internet service. but i figure that the limited staff that would use the service would never eat up the bandwidth and so might as well use the vps server for their vpn internet access as well to save costs. but is it possible?

any advice greatly appreciated.

james.

Yes, you can do this... but you must be very careful... if you (or the VPN server) make the wrong changes to your routing table, you'll basicly confuse the server and it won't know how to get to anywhere.... make sure you have a through understanding of the way routing works in whatever OS you're running before you even attempt this.

Once you do that, I suggest one of these two projects:

PoPToP (PPTP VPN System): http://www.poptop.org/
    FreeS/WAN (IPSec VPN System): http://www.freeswan.org/

-Chris

I use OpenVPN for my VPN deployments; it's the best software VPN solution I know. The only fault I can name is that it is not as user-friendly as it could be (more so than IPsec, however).

PPTP has inbuilt support in Windows, yes, but PoPToP is horrible and last I used it randomly stopped working often. Encryption, last I checked, also required a Linux kernel patch, which seems going too far.

IPsec is a complete NIGHTMARE to setup. I find the only people who recommend using it are those who haven't set it up it themselves.