1. New Host needs advice

Hi, I have just started L3WebHost.com. Can anyone give me any advice as to the best and cheapest way to advertise my service. I am targeting personal and small business customers. I do not host adult sites at this time but may consider it in the future. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    SiteRack.us---100% SSD Storage On All Shared Hosting Plans
    24/7 Support
    Free SSL On All Shared Hosting Domains

Quote Originally Posted by L3WebHost
    Hi, I have just started L3WebHost.com. Can anyone give me any advice as to the best and cheapest way to advertise my service. I am targeting personal and small business customers. I do not host adult sites at this time but may consider it in the future. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I would advertise to local businesses to get started and build a strong base from there. Make some business cards and drop them off to the businesses. You will most likely do some design for them as well. Personally I would not even consider adult sites, nothing personal against them, just seems like a huge strain on the server and the change for abuse is great.

Good luck!
    Regards,
    Randy
    Okie Net Web Hosting

That was smart... start a hosting business and then ask how to get customers.

Might wanna read the guides in the tutorials sub-forum. As Randy said, the personal touch goes a long way. Meet with them, drop the cards, etc. Offer extra services. You need to be a decent talker as well.

"We have been in the web hosting business for 3 years" Really now?
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

There are thousands of web hosts in the US...you have to offer something that no one else can. Be personable, be friendly, and don't give your clients the same "professional" approach that everyone else does. Get to know your clients, get them emotionally invested in the success of your business, they will most likely turn around and refer you to their friends. The best advertising is, and always will be, word of mouth.
    Joe Cooter - <jcooter(at)sliqua.com>
    Executive Vice President - Sliqua Enterprise Hosting, Inc.
    1-877-4SLIQUA - http://www.sliqua.com - http://www.isyourmissioncritical.com

Focus on a area that makes you different from other webhosts.

Remember the golden rule too. Tell the truth!
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

"We have been in the web hosting business for 3 years" Really now?
    Seems to be a main selling point.

You might also want to consider a better server... your website doesnt even load!You'll never get customers if your site doesnt work... and you'll never get customers if your server uptime is crap!

8. Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by sabian1982
    You might also want to consider a better server... your website doesnt even load!You'll never get customers if your site doesnt work... and you'll never get customers if your server uptime is crap!

Would some of you please mind hitting my site and posting how fast it loads and how it looks in your browsers? I was doing some work on the server this morning and now am concerned about this. My son wrote the home page, I changed the "in business 3 years"....how embarrassing!!!

Thanks
    24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by L3WebHost
    Would some of you please mind hitting my site and posting how fast it loads and how it looks in your browsers? I was doing some work on the server this morning and now am concerned about this. My son wrote the home page, I changed the "in business 3 years"....how embarrassing!!!

Thanks
    IP Address: 12.10.65.248 (h248.65.10.12.blnc.cablerocket.net)

Maybe the above is misleading me...But

Tell me you going not going to try and run a webhosting business from a computer at your house on a cable modem?

Also you might want to fix:

FAIL Open relay test WARNING: One or more of your mailservers appears to be an open relay. If so, this means that you are allowing spammers to freely use the mailserver to send out spam! It is possible that your mailserver accepts all E-mail and later bounces it, or accepts the relay attempt and then deletes the E-mail, but this is not common.
    WARNING: mail.l3webhost.com appears to be an open relay: 250 Requested mail action okay, completed
    An open relay will get you blacklisted fast on various RBL's
    Regards,
    Randy
    Okie Net Web Hosting

it loads alright. I would suggest you redo your site as it looks like a template.

If your going to be doing business I would highly suggest you make sure your a legal registered business.

11. Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    it loads alright. I would suggest you redo your site as it looks like a template.

If your going to be doing business I would highly suggest you make sure your a legal registered business.
    I am planning on doing a better site in the near future. Thanks for your input.
    24/7 Support

Please do everyone a favor and get yourself a real server or at the very least a reseller plan and quit trying to host from your home PC, a common home connection is not made to handle the traffic that a web server needs and your site took about 40 seconds to load for me so that is going to be a huge red flag for any potential clients in the first place.

Well For Starters...

The connection has timed out

The server at www.l3webhost.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

thats what i get too
    Someone's trying to host off a home computer...o dear... check out some reseller hosts or NDCHost's VPS servers to get your self started with a decent server
    AfterburnHosting.net had merged with AfterburnNetwork.com

Your sites loadin slower and your lying on you website! Neither is a good way to start.

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    Should also ensure how you are operating your business is legal. If you are hosting your business off of your home cable modem, then it is highly probable that running a hosting business off of it is against the Terms of Service for you cable company.

Also, should definitely make sure you have SPLA licenses of Windows, since you are doing Windows hosting. May be easy to get away with not having them, but if you ever do get customers, and Microsoft comes after you, be willing to bet your customers wouldn't be too happy.
    Ken Robertson | Linked Labs | linkedlabs.com

17. thanks for all the input. I only have one machine, a dell poweredge server, not a home pc. I am connected to a cable modem now but will move the server to another location soon to get connected to a high speed line. not a problem with cable company as i talked to them and have their ok to run a web server, not going to be on them for more than thirty days or so. any other suggestions out there? how fast does the site load and what speed connection are you all using? I understand the site may load slow but it would be helpful to know what speed internet connection is being used so i may get an idea what is going on here. thanks all.
    24/7 Support

The site loads fine, the only thing that bothers me is the 90+ ms ping times (as you would expect a REAL host to have ping times < 30 ms (with a real connection). And the fact that you're linking up to HELM's site for the demo. Be careful with that!

19. Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    The site loads fine, the only thing that bothers me is the 90+ ms ping times (as you would expect a REAL host to have ping times < 30 ms (with a real connection). And the fact that you're linking up to HELM's site for the demo. Be careful with that!
    You think its not a good idea to link to helm's demo?
    24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    Your sites loadin slower and your lying on you website! Neither is a good way to start.
    At least your lucky enough to be able to get to his website... it just times out!

I think put in simple terms you have failed before you have begun!!! Id give up now, go back to the drawing board, you'll never get anywhere like this!

Are you affiliated with http://www.l3technologies.com ? No reason really, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach5Host
    Are you affiliated with http://www.l3technologies.com ? No reason really, just curious.
    i reacon so, there site loads very, very, very slowly as well for what it is! As least i can view his signature site now lol

Sorry to bump an older thread....BUT

The biggest thing people hate (I asked around/researched before starting up) was the template-based websites. Make something original, and make sure YOU WRITE THE TEXT.

There is nothing worse than a standard-issue content box saying how long you've been in business, how many servers you have, where your datacenter is, etc.... when none of those things exist.

My 2 cents
    Dimension 4 Hosting >> Learn More
    Friendly, Honest Webhosting
    From 1 Gig to 100 Gigs+
    Shared and Reseller plans available