TOSDOMAINS.NET - Extended Redemption Period (Help Needed)

Hello fellow WHTers,

I just wanted to get some of your expert opinions on an issue I am having with TOSDomains.net which resells eNom domain services.

For confidentiality reasons, I am unable to share the domain with you, so you can't go have fun whoising, sorry

I purchased a domain to use for a new division on my company I was working on. This domain was purchased on June 30th, 2003 at TOSDomains.net for a 1 year subscription. Well in my busy life, I wasn't able to get the website I wanted up on that domain name, so it just kind of sat there and expired on June 30th, 2004 without me even noticing.

A few months after the expiration I went back to TOSDomains.net to register my domain name again, since I finally had time to get the ball rolling on that web site. The error came up that my domain was not available, so I feared the worse... that someone else purchased the domain. Turns out, no one did. The domain was still registered to me, but was in Expired Redemption period, which to my understanding was only to last 30-60 days for the sole purpose of me renewing the domain if I had forgotten to do so for a nice price tag of $185. I submitted a trouble ticket with the TOSDomain.net helpdesk and the technician replied back saying that the domain was in Expired Redemption period, but would not become available again until June 30th, 2005. Well I was frustrated!! I do not know much about the domain registration business, but having a domain name in Redemption period for 1 whole year is freaking rediculous and no wonder there is a shortage on domain names.

So July 3rd rolls around, and I checked my calendar to find that I could finally register my domain name. I go back to the web site and try to re-register the domain name to find the unspeakable. The domain name was still registered to me... yet this time the expiration date was July 1, 2006!!

I send another helpdesk ticket to TOSDOMAINS.NET and blew a lid on these guys. There is no reason what-so-ever that a domain needs to be in redemption period for 2 damn years. When I was done venting, I thought I would try be a bit crafty and call eNom which TOSDomains uses for purchasing. eNom simply said pay the $185, or wait.

IS SOMETHING WRONG HERE!?!?! AM I doing something completely wrong, or is this just the morally wrong doing of business today?

Please help.

PS. Does anyone know a phone number for TOSDomains besides the one listed in their WHOIS. I need to speak to them on this matter. Thank you

Jonathan
    Last edited by Redcoat; 07-28-2005 at 10:04 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

First of all, are you saying that you still went back to the same place to re-register that particular domain twice? And which whois are you checking against to see that it is now registered under your name with those so-called new expiry dates?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.
      0 Not allowed!

I have tried from 4 different registrars
    Godaddy, NetworkSolutions, Namecheap, and TosDomains again

I used all their whois scripts and I also tried eNom.com
      0 Not allowed!

If you don't mind, can you post the whois result from internic.net (by taking away only the domain name itself)?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.
      0 Not allowed!

Whois From eNom
    ======================

nameserver: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM

created-by: enom
    registration-expiration-date: 2006-06-30 22:18:23.0
    registrar: enom
    updated-by: regy_batch
    created-date: 2003-06-30 22:18:23.0
    updated-date: 2005-07-01 03:17:43.0

You'll notice I created it on 06-30-2003 for a 1 year subscription... and it expires on 6-30-2006
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by nameslave
    If you don't mind, can you post the whois result from internic.net (by taking away only the domain name itself)?
    Domain Name: *****.COM
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    Updated Date: 01-jul-2005
    Creation Date: 30-jun-2003
    Expiration Date: 30-jun-2006

Someone updated it July 1st, 2005 and now the expiration date is 2006... Its like they don't want my money. a 2 year redemption time is bullsh*t. Excuse the language im just extremely frustrated.
      0 Not allowed!

The thing is: there isn't any year-long redemption period. If you have not paid anything since 2004, someone might have. If you reported it correctly, the technician who said that the domain was in redemption period and would be available in 12 months didn't know what he was talking about. And since you are buying from a reseller, I'm not sure what has been done at their end. To be honest, I don't want to speculate on any wrongdoing with so little information at hand.
      0 Not allowed!

Am I missing something here?

The domain looks to be in ACTIVE status - no Registrar-Lock and no REDEMPTION Period.

If you are still listed as the Administrative contact in the whois and the email address is still valid, then try doing an endrun around them. Go to another registrar and initiate a transfer away from eNom.

Just a thought...
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin
      0 Not allowed!

4solutions, yeah it is an odd situation. I will try the domain transfer.
      0 Not allowed!

*****.com can be transferred
    Current Registrar : enom, inc.
    Registrar Lock : active

SO i can pay to transfer the domain... but it's still going to be locked?
      0 Not allowed!

What whois service are you using? I don't remember seeing that "Registrar Lock: Active" in a public whois report.

I have most of my names at eNom. And when I do a whois at www.whois.sc it simply gives me the status at the bottom as either: ACTIVE or LOCKED

If it says ACTIVE and it's not an EPP domain, it should transfer. You could even try NameCheap to transfer. Since it is inside the eNom system, eNom might be more willing to let it move from one reseller to another.
      0 Not allowed!

ICANN Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Created: 2003-06-30
    Expires: 2006-06-30

Doesn't show locked
    I'll try the transfer
      0 Not allowed!

Transfer did not work
      0 Not allowed!

Well, it was worth a try.
      0 Not allowed!

Well thank you for your help, all those that answered promptly.

I have taken the time to write a nice letter to eNom regarding this matter to have them explain their reasonings on the 2 year redemption of the domain. It seems a bit excesive. We'll see what they say, and i'll post when I receive a response.

Thanks again.

Jonathan
      0 Not allowed!

any reply from enom yet?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi
      0 Not allowed!