Question Win Server 2003 which one?

I'm thinking about using windows server 2003 as the OS in one of my servers that will be hosting websites. But I am a little confused about the licensing & which version to use. If I go with the standard version do I need an external connector license?
    If I go with the web version do I need an ECL?
    I have been checking around but most of the information is somewhat vague.

Moving to Main Forums-->Hosting Software
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

I can tell you right now, don't go with the web version. You're severely limited in what you can do. Standard version or better is your only real option unless you plan on running plain HTML websites.

heh - good old Microsoft strikes again. The standard version better for web services than the "web' edition. Thats a new highlight for the M$ boys.

Web Edition is fine in most scenarios - it even has a DNS server. I use it for asp and asp.net applications. The license prevents you from installing SQL Server but you may find that you can live with just MSDE. But I agree, if you don't mind paying a bit more get the standard edition.
    Last edited by ACW; 01-27-2004 at 07:21 PM.

I use the web edition for web servers and when I need to run ms sql then I use standard.

There is no need to purchase standard unless you need to run server type programs on it.

Tracy Phillips

I agree with Weberz, we use Web Edition for the websites, a standard for MS SQL and a standard running mailserver, my customers love it, their webites are quick and everything works smoothly.