Unmanged VPS for dummies

Do users really do everything themselves or do host offer any of this?

Do users have to set up email, ftp, etc ?

Install all the programs apache, php, sql etc?

Install security measures?

Sounds like a nightmare for someone who has never done any of those things.

If you never managed a server before, try to get a managed vps instead.

If you are just starting, go for reseller hosting.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Hosts can offer this as a managed package. Some are bundled, some have it as an extra option.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

You have 100 % responsibility of the Server if You dont Purchase managed account.

You can perhaps install virtual box on your home Computer and get some experience In a root environment

If it is an unmanaged VPS, then the customer is responsible for handling all of those things. An unmanaged VPS is perfect for people who are comfortable handling everything themselves. In many cases, the customers are people who want to be able to customize the setup in ways that would not be allowed in typical shared hosting. Unmanaged VPS solutions are a dream come true for customers who know what they are doing.

If it sounds like a nightmare to you, then look at managed VPS solution instead of unmanaged. With managed solutions, the hosts help out with certain things.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

You will generally have to install them yourself on an unmanaged VPS unless the host has some LAMP templates.

In my experience a VPS offers greater control but also greater headache's for those who are non technical. Be very weary of providers offering "managed" services since your mileage will vary greatly. Some advertise managed but just install a firewall and nothing else... Or advertise managed but look at your VPS once every couple of months if you're lucky, or only if you report issues.

There are those that really offer fully managed but you need to look hard and ask first.

Can you offer any more detail of what the VPS is for, what type of platform and sites?
    Last edited by Ramprage; 11-14-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Ive been hosting sites for 12+ years - always been managed though. I am very familiar with ftp, plesk, cpanel, WHM, email, sql etc etc but I have never had to install all those programs and set them up ...

Seems like managed is a waste of money if you have a good host / quality package they will never be needed other than the initial set up.

Why do host charge a monthly rate instead of just the intial setup? Possibly semi-managed or something along those lines? Sounds like a big expense 10-15 bux or more a month just for the insurance (possiblility you get stuck and need help) ....

Unmanaged = Self-Managed, so to answer the question yes, when a VPS provider says un-managed, they leave everything to you to mange yourself. They generally provide several VPS templates to help YOU get started with how you might want to configure the Server, but other than that, yes, you need to install and set up everything.

They are simply responsible for the Node hardware and to keep it running so that your little slice (VPS) is available to you.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by baconbits View Post
    Ive been hosting sites for 12+ years - always been managed though. I am very familiar with ftp, plesk, cpanel, WHM, email, sql etc etc but I have never had to install all those programs and set them up ...

Seems like managed is a waste of money if you have a good host / quality package they will never be needed other than the initial set up.

Why do host charge a monthly rate instead of just the intial setup? Possibly semi-managed or something along those lines? Sounds like a big expense 10-15 bux or more a month just for the insurance (possiblility you get stuck and need help) ....
    Its a root environment and a lot of people want a vps. A root environment needs to be maintained regularly and the manpower cost would be extremely high pushing QOS low.

People would complain if they paid a pone off fee for setup, then have something break down the road and expect the provider to fix or free of cost.

Thanks for all the responses - sounds like I will be staying with managed... I reckon paying a bit extra isnt all that bad knowing someone else will take care of all the details.

Thanks for all the responses - sounds like I will be staying with managed... I reckon paying a bit extra isnt all that bad knowing someone else will take care of all the details.
    Sounds like a sensible decision to me, but why not sign up for an inexpensive VPS at the same time, just for the learning experience? Since your production environment is taken care of by your managed choice, you can keep an ultra-cheap unmanaged VPS on the side. Look at the listings on WHT, and you may also want to look at lowendbox.com. I found a fine unmanaged VPS on lowendbox.com for less than $4 a month, just as a learning aid. You may want to try a free Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) one year trial account, which is similar to a VPS.

When looking at ultra-cheap VPSs, remember that you get what you pay for. The lowest cost companies may not be as responsive or as supportive as you like, or the host computer that hosts your VPS may not be as reliable as you like, or the VPS provider may suddenly fail, but hey, you are using it only for a fun learning experience. Don't put important data on your VPS until you have figured out how to back it up.

Yes thats an idea that I have thought about - slowly teach myself how to do it then could save a bit of money - thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, I'm not looking for a budget host who oversells and provides poor support.. at the same time I am not looking to over pay for either.

Do users really do everything themselves or do host offer any of this?

Do users have to set up email, ftp, etc ?

Install all the programs apache, php, sql etc?

Install security measures?

That is the point. If you've never used such a system before, you will be lost at first. Unmanaged VPS is for people who know how to optimize the performance to their liking.
    My Site : Chi Chi's Floral [Under Construction - Link Coming Soon!]

Hosted by: Myhosting.com - 10 months and counting!

Go Managed and ask as many questions as you can with the tech support and learn on things are done.

Normally if a server is unmanaged it means you need to do everything yourself. However if the server has a control panel installed (such as CPanel or Plesk) then most of the common thing you will need such as a web, mail and FTP server are installed with the control panel. You would need to do things such as create hosting accounts for domains as well as manage updates to the server and security settings such as opening and blocking firewall ports etc.

Some hosts may offer server management, but this will come as a cost. It would be better to get a managed server so that you can play about with it and will have support if things do go wrong.

Server administration is an advanced endeavor. The fact that it's being done in a shared environment rather than in a dedicated server does not change that fact.

If you were to watch a server administrator configure his installation, you would not be able to tell whether he was working on a VPS or dedicated machine. Remote administration and configuration is exactly the same.

I wouldn't call Linux server administration a nightmare, but there is no question that it's complicated. Where did you get the idea that server administration was simple?

If you use a reputable unmanned provider with WHM and Cpanel installed on the VPS then one can get by...maybe.

That is assuming you have a basic Linux knowledge, can use the command line well enough to not screw things up, understand off-site backup strategies, and know enough to install/set up a firewall like CSF.

I used managed providers for a year or two until i learned the above. A lot depends on how vital your VPS is if you still manage to screw things up beyond repair. If your living depends on it, go managed until you have a solid Linux knowledge.