Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's the crappiest machine someone is still paying space for?

Just curious...what's the absolute trashiest machine that's you're still paying space for and chugging along?

Don't by shy. ...unless it's a P2.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

A Q6600...though hopefully we'll be getting rid of that in the next few months.

We have our own rack space, so it's not like we're paying for a specific machine. But we still have a P4 racked and in use for internal stuff. Have a P2 450MHz at the office for a DNS resolver and local storage.
    Jason Canady • Unlimited Net, LLC
    812.669.0551 • sales [at] unlimitednet.us
    Midwest Hosting Solutions • AS11990
    Dedicated Server Hosting

We recently had a customer looking to colo a DEC VAX, a migration from their own facility to our cage space. Can anyone beat that?

A client was paying $533/mo for the following as of a month ago.

Windows 2000 / Pentium III 1.4 Ghz / 1 GB RAM / 2 X 80 GB SATA II HDD Raid 1
    100 GB Data Transfer / 16 IP’s

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    A client was paying $533/mo for the following as of a month ago.

Windows 2000 / Pentium III 1.4 Ghz / 1 GB RAM / 2 X 80 GB SATA II HDD Raid 1
    100 GB Data Transfer / 16 IP’s
    HAHA. Were they aware of the absurdity?
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by sajanNOPPIX View Post
    HAHA. Were they aware of the absurdity?
    Only acutely aware.

90 mhz pentium, 512 MB ram, 2 GB hard drive
    NT 4.0, running Netscape 3.51 server
    Online since Sept 2004.

AMD XP1700+, 512MB RAM, 80GB IDE HDD, 1u chassis.

We've offered to upgrade them numerous times on the house (after all, great customer, pays bills on time, solid revenue as a result of years of service), however like many, they refuse to take the free upgrade, even with the move thrown in.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Sun Netra T1 105
    360Mhz
    128Mb Ram
    9GB HD

Installed 12 years ago and still going as well today as the day we installed it. This one is running email for several domains.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    AMD XP1700+, 512MB RAM, 80GB IDE HDD, 1u chassis.

We've offered to upgrade them numerous times on the house (after all, great customer, pays bills on time, solid revenue as a result of years of service), however like many, they refuse to take the free upgrade, even with the move thrown in.
    I can't imagine why anyone refuses to take upgrades on boxes like this. An atom probably smokes this thing and at less power.
    The only reasoning I see is the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it" saying. Even then I can't imagine no failures at all.

I replaced a pentium 4 with an atom not too long ago. The cost of not upgrading these machines even if cpu performance is the same is more than upgrading to an extremely low power system in some cases.

Currently I am managing a dating site that runs on a Pentium III machine with a single 80GB disk drive.. no redundancy, no backup.

There's a Cobalt Raq in one of the racks adjacent to ours that must be three times as old as the data centre it's in.

Gavin
    Network EQ
    UK VPS
    , cPanel Hosting, Dedicated Servers and Hosted Exchange

We've got a few of these:
    ---
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E1400 @ 2.00GHz
    ---

and many clients running on:
    ---
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz
    ---

I have an Intel 286 @ 8MHz still running. Single disk drive (About 500mb I think).

Single Hard Drive, no backups, single power supply, zero redundancy running Mentor PC/OS (A Pick operating system with a multivalue database).

It's for another business in our family. Around 10 years ago I freaked out that it was still running and the tape drive was old. At that time the company that developed the application had gone out of business (I think even a couple of the developers had died)... The application was current in the late 70s / early 80s. One weekend finally read up enough on how to access the mv tables and explode it into SQL tables and import it to a modern billing system.

Now it's just running to see how long it will last. Had a scare about two years ago. Power went out (this is on C power.. no ups, no generator, etc) and I thought it was done for. Turns out the battery on motherboard was dead and the motherboard required you to manually set hard drive parameters, once I fixed that it booted back up.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Just curious...what's the absolute trashiest machine that's you're still paying space for and chugging along?

Don't by shy. ...unless it's a P2.
    Any machine is the best machine until its doing what it meant to do and doesn't fail. In reality you should proud of these machines and show it as example of stability of your business. Only kids compare IBM to iPhone.
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers , Disaster Recovery, IaaS, BGP Announcement & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by david_halliday View Post
    Sun Netra T1 105
    360Mhz
    128Mb Ram
    9GB HD

Installed 12 years ago and still going as well today as the day we installed it. This one is running email for several domains.
    Wow! Is it your own machine or client is paying for it?

It always surprises me that today we need GHzs and super CPUs to do same job like 10yrs ago.
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers , Disaster Recovery, IaaS, BGP Announcement & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee

I have quite a collection of vintage computer systems. Atari 800, TI-99/4A, C-64 and C-128, Coleco Adam, Apple II / II+ / IIe, AT&T Unix PC, TRS-80 Model 4P, and a few others. If I thought there was any money in it, I'd hook them up to a Linux machine to buffer TCP (remember, most serial ports of that era peak at 19.2k, some at 9600), shelf them in a secure cabinet, and let customers colocate their BASIC programs.

I'd proudly advertise our 40-year-old servers!
    The world would be a better place if people drank better coffee.

Not to long ago we migrated a cobalt raq to a new Cpanel machine. The cobalt was in service since 2000-ish.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by Ionity View Post
    Now it's just running to see how long it will last. Had a scare about two years ago. Power went out (this is on C power.. no ups, no generator, etc) and I thought it was done for. Turns out the battery on motherboard was dead and the motherboard required you to manually set hard drive parameters, once I fixed that it booted back up.
    Surprised the HDD spun back up. Usually on these old machines the HDD is a ticking timebomb waiting for the next spinup routine . In one of my old jobs we had an ancient briefcase laptop in the lab used for testing some ancient gear that we left powered on in fear it wouldn't come back LOL.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

No kidding. I remembering having to "park" harddrives on machines that old. It was kinda funny to see the randomness that would happen when you didn't park a drive properly before shutting it off.

We had a full rack customer install a 3560, a shelf, and a laptop for about 2 months until they finally moved in some "real" equipment.
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post
    We had a full rack customer install a 3560, a shelf, and a laptop for about 2 months until they finally moved in some "real" equipment.
    ...a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Techee View Post
    90 mhz pentium, 512 MB ram, 2 GB hard drive
    NT 4.0, running Netscape 3.51 server
    Online since Sept 2004.
    This takes the lead so far
    # experienced Cloud/OpenStack Architect
    #
    # Feel free to PM me for any info or help to build your cloud.

...a laptop?
    Actually this is very good to use to setup out of band access, and I have used it many times. You plug a USB webcam, serial access, along with temperature sensors, you can tell a lot before their noc makes an announcement USB cell phone modem with a small antenna. They may have just been measuring the DC before moving equipment in.

I know of a couple of government systems that were built in the early 90's that are still being colo-cated in a verizon data center.
    Linn Boyd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast