How vigilent are hosts?

I have found a website which is using files which it does not have the rights to use.

The host I think I have traced to venturesonline. I have contacted the abuse department and am not sure what they will do.

The script is not a comercially available and was bespoke, this leads me to think that the website can just lie that they programmed the script.

I think that perhaps the host VO might try to not do anything for risk of losing the customer. The only proof I have that it's mine is that I have all the files for the scripting.

Let me have your opinions.

Cheers

I'm sure VO will investigate the issue, how long ago did you send the email? Did you send it with a read receipt? If its been more than a couple of days, perhaps send the email again and cc it to someone else in the company, i.e. info@vo...

I find read receipts to be a very handy method of figuring out if the receiver has received & read the message, though it doesn't always work, as not everyone uses outlook.

I always use read receipts. I apologise I didn't point out I just sent it an hour ago, This was not meant to bash VO as i'm sure they will get back to me in good time, I was just interested how people think they will handle it

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    I always use read receipts. I apologise I didn't point out I just sent it an hour ago, This was not meant to bash VO as i'm sure they will get back to me in good time, I was just interested how people think they will handle it
    I think it's just best to wait and see how they do handle it. However, I'm not sure what I'd do if you were to contact me and say that you have no proof that a script is yours, but you're pretty sure that someone is using it. Well, I'm pretty sure I know what I'd do.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

If it is yours, how did they get it?

Well,

I guess the part I forgot to add was that I developed this bespoke script and stupidly let the script loose on the guys hosting account. (rest assured I won't hand over scripting again without payment first) He asked me to develop it and I did, I was completely fooled by him acting so genuine and now he just makes out he has sent off a cheque 2 time (yeah right) and it just so happens to not have arrived with me. weird that?

So as I see it, this is along the same lines as somebody using for instance a unlicenced version of Vbulletin. They have not paid Jelsoft to use the licence in the same way that I have not been paid to use my custom scripting.

It just gets on my nerves how some people can act so disgracefully. I'm pretty tempted to just go to small claims court over the matter even thought it is only £50. The end of the day there is no justified reason for not pay. The excuse I keep hearing is "you will be paid"

I agree, it is very annoying when people do things like this. Maybe I am just naïve but I don’t understand how people do this without any feeling of guilt. My suggestions would be to make people at least pay a down payment before you start a project. Then you know that they are good for it.

As for taking this guy to small claims, you already wasted time writing this script for him; don’t waste anymore of your time on this fool. Cut your losses now. There are much bigger fish out there.

As for VO, the responsible thing to do would be to at least investigate the situation and make a determination on their findings. Everyone on the Internet is responsible for patrolling it against abuses like this. They should do their part- otherwise they would be encouraging it.

Sorry that happened to ya!
    http://www.PreciseHosting.com - Providing powerful web site hosting, e-commerce, and design solutions.
    Email: pcroarkin@precisehosting.com
    Toll-Free: 888-408-4472

The steps you've taken to sort the problem out are probably the same steps that I'll take. But for only £50, you're wasting a LOT of time on it, whereas you could be coding more scripts for other clients. I would never hand over a script, service or product without taking payment first or just part payment to show that they are willing to pay. It's just a lesson to be learnt really... the famous saying of "learn from your mistakes" .

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

I have most definatly learnt!

At the moment I have nothing to do so wasting my time is good as it takes up time. If it's not sorted in 2 weeks when i'm off to uni i'll drop it.

VO is a great provider, but you have to understand that these issues take time to resolve. A couple months back we had an issue with a client that was accused by another provider of taking their script. Initially, it starts out as one side vs. the other. It takes time to delve down to the root (no pun intended) of the problem. We asked both the host and our client to provide proof of their claims. The matter was resolved within 24-48 hours.

-Steven
    https://www.ihnetworks.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    I always use read receipts.

Well that only works if you are using the same email program (ie Outlook).

VO is a respectable company, no doubt they will investigate the allegations and take the necessary action.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Yup that's what I guess. The guy can't try to tell them he owns the script, I'm sure he doesn't even know his way around a simple mail script

Well I am sure Ventures Online will conduct a full investigation into the issue. However, I don't think you mentioned (or maybe I missed it) of whether or not you hold the copyright to this script. If so I would start by sending a 'cease and desist' letter or if you are not the copyright holder, I would notify the group of individual who is.

However, since you have contacted VO, I would wait for their response before proceeding further

Originally posted by insiderhosting
    A couple months back we had an issue with a client that was accused by another provider of taking their script.

thats why i stopping doing freelance quite a while ago. They always steal the stuff u make. Its very hard to get paid when the guy who had u code it never intended on paying.
    Rave5 Web Solutions
    http://www.rave5.com

This is an interesting thread as I come across it a bit. Money first is always the best way to go, even if it is a partial payment.

That said, I am going to venture a guess that VO will nothing simply because if he cheated you he will mostly likely lie to VO and say he already paid you, you are trying to get more money, he's never heard of you and bought the script from someone else, etc. Whatever the reason VO will be in the position of having two opposite opinions for what is going on and basically they will say it is between both of you to settle it--they are going to get into it because they are a not a court or judge or jury. It's a contract dispute and they are not involved so they won't get involved. Realistically, and unfortunately for you, they have better things to do than police disputes between programmers and their customers. (And you are right if they do place any weight on what people are saying they will place some weight on the person who is paying their bills unless you have a better relationship with them).

I see this all the time: people taken for a small amount of money and then are faced with spending more money to get back their small amount of money. Basically you can sue the guy, or gal, and try to get your money back or consider it a business lesson for the money you were stiffed.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Richard, I think you have it in one. I am an honest kind of guy and I hate owing people money and I can't see how these people live with the conscience that they have ripped someone off. Yeah £50 might not be much money, I'm not a big shot but to me it's not a great deal as most of my work has been 10X that price but as a student thats 25pints in the bar! That's a lot of beer money I have been robbed from.... Let alone the kebabs