If you post a link to a newspaper's website - do you need its permission?

If you post a link to someone else's website, do you need that person's or company's permission to do so?

You can quote other people's work on your website, but how does linking affect copyright?

Thanks!

I don't think linking can breach any sort of copyright. Unless of course, you are stating that the work is yours.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Bannaz View Post
    I don't think linking can breach any sort of copyright. Unless of course, you are stating that the work is yours.
    Huh, I'd never even think of it.

I am trying to increase the value of a domain to a visitor by providing research help, and thus linking to other people's work in addition to my own.

I also think that it is rather a good thing for others to get additional traffic...

That's absolutely fine HostGhost There is no breach there at all.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook

I think there will be no problem, but you cannot link to their images from their server.

There was a case a few years back where Ticketmaster objected to other companies deep-linking to their site. The case made it to court where the judge ruled that Ticketmaster was a big silly company. Ok, maybe it was worded differently. There have been rulings in other jurisdictions that seemed to contradict that one but in general, nobody really cares unless you blatantly try to pass of the other sites' material as yours or if you screw with their bandwidth.
    Forayweb - Online Solutions for Your Business
    Expert Hosting and Pay-As-You-Go Web Services

its fine to link to other sites, but you can get in touch and tell them about it. its always nice to see your own website in the paper and the owners would be super happy

It won't do you good if you do not ask and asking is not expensive I guess.

Different opinion, different approach, I want to say that anything openly published in Internet dont need permission to point anyone to the site in subject, rather poeple do good to the site as they popularize the content.

Host Ghost , You do not need a permission and what is more important you absolutely have to post the link to the site if you copy info from that site on your web page