Lightbulb PHP & MySQL Resources?

Anyone know of some good PHP tutorial/resource websites that would be useful to someone learning PHP? I know PHP's website has an excellent documentation, but I'm looking for other resources. Websites that offer tutorials or guides must be up to date. I'm currently using PHP 5 (5.5 to be exact) so I don't want any outdated content.

I'm also open to video lessons/tutorials. I've found some decent stuff on YouTube. Are there any particular channels that cover PHP & MySQL well?

Hope to hear from some of you and thanks in advance!

Try lynda.com for learning.

I'll second the lynda.com recommendation.

Also, I don't think this is on their home page but :

http://www.lynda.com/trial/

has a 7 day trial. I think the homepage is just a preview account with no content?
    phpwebhosting.com - affordable, quality hosting since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by phpwebhosting.com View Post
    I'll second the lynda.com recommendation.

Also, I don't think this is on their home page but :

http://www.lynda.com/trial/

has a 7 day trial. I think the homepage is just a preview account with no content?
    I'm looking more for sites that offer tutorials, lessons, and guides for free if possible. Does anyone have experience using CodeAcademy?

Also, are the lessons from the Lynda website all video or are there written lessons as well?

Try udemy and look for free tutorials. Lots of coupon code as well on google for udemy for cheap tutorials

There are books available in libraries such as the For Dummies series of programming books. Or, phpacademy is a good YouTube channel that has some pretty good videos. You could also learn from codecademy.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nolyoly View Post
    I'm looking more for sites that offer tutorials, lessons, and guides for free if possible. Does anyone have experience using CodeAcademy?

Also, are the lessons from the Lynda website all video or are there written lessons as well?
    Codecademy is where I learned to code HTML and CSS. But, they only teach you limited stuff. So for me, I had to go to http://www.w3schools.com to learn the complete list of tags etc. for HTML and CSS. PHP is a lot different. Stackoverflow has lots of user submitted questions that would help as you go along with PHP.

Quote Originally Posted by nolyoly View Post

Apart from general PHP tutorials are you looking for something specific ? Like for example how to create word documents or pdf documents using php etc then head straight to http://www.sitepoint.com/php/
    Chris, Developer/Programmer,
    https://www.chrisranjana.com/
    Php laravel developers, Node Python developers,
    AWS Certified | Python developers | Nodejs Developers | Devops

If you want good videos, then Team Treehouse offers quite a bit of videos on coding (however, it's a paid service). I'd also take a look at the PHP documentation for the MySQLi and PDO extensions
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

There are some great and useful PHP books at Oreilly's website. such as PHP cookbook.
    - SimpleCRM Coming Soon!
    ModulesBakery - Custom Software & Front-End Development (PHP & MySQL OR Oracle Databases, Zend Framwork, Symfony).

I second the suggestion for w3schools.com. They have quite a few tutorials on a wide variety of things, whether it is php, css, html, javascript, which you will probably have to learn all 4 in the long run.

Your best bet is to start working with a CMS like Drupal or Wordpress, and reading some of the modules/plugins, and understanding how that works, and build your own. That'll teach you a ton.
    Komputer King Web Hosting

█ Shared hosting | Dedicated Servers | OpenVZ | KVM | Xen | cPanel | CDN
    █ 99.9% uptime | 24/7 Support | Live Chat | Varnish | PHP-FPM | Percona DB

you can even check homeandlearn.co.uk

use w3school is great to learn PHP/MySQL