Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

does this make my company green ??

i have a hosting company

think if this makes me green

everytime some one orders a package i plant 1 tree ... and and every time they donate a dollar i plant 3 trees.

does this make me green because over a year i would have planted over 3000 trees.

thanks

Do you actually plant these trees or your bs'ing?
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Glad to hear that you are really planting the tree for per order client. Its good thing that you are doing to save the world.

IF you are truly planting the trees then yes that would be a good carbon offset. Consider switching your primary energy source to wind also if you have that option.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

Quote Originally Posted by THAMAN View Post
    Do you actually plant these trees or your bs'ing?
    Quote Originally Posted by kris1351 View Post
    IF you are truly planting the trees then yes that would be a good carbon offset. Consider switching your primary energy source to wind also if you have that option.
    I have rule in my hosting company ... never to lie and always to keep my words. i will not take peoples money for no reason. I wanted to this to be labeled has a "green host."

I was planning on using this site to do it. When i redo the yearly theme and configuration on my hosting company this in a week for the new year i was planning on using this site to go ahead with my plan.

http://www.mokugift.com/

I was doing this for a while:
    http://www.plantabillion.org/

Nobody seemed to care...

I will probably pick it back up soon and re-incorporate it into our offerings. Just because It's attempting to do something good/better.

Quote Originally Posted by iloveunicorns View Post
    i have a hosting company

everytime some one orders a package i plant 1 tree ... and and every time they donate a dollar i plant 3 trees.

does this make me green because over a year i would have planted over 3000 trees.

thanks
    I'll give you $100.00 to come over and plant 300 trees then.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    ROFL... I ll match that and fly you down to miami to do the same...

$1.00 per tree / plant !!!!
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

According to the web site in one year an acre of trees can provide enough oxygen for 18 people. Your carbon foot print for your hosting is more than your offer. So no.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bizness View Post
    ROFL... I ll match that and fly you down to miami to do the same...

$1.00 per tree / plant !!!!
    i am not planting it.

the trees are being planted in 3rd world countries.

i am not planting it.

I can see them planting trees for a dollar. It definitely goes a lot farther in some countries still than it does here...

There's no official definition of being "green" .. it's all kind of a hype/fad/current phase the western world seems to be going through.

So sure, planting a tree could be considered "green" .. green enough to claim you're green on your website. And some people might sign up with you who wouldn't have otherwise.. maybe!

Or, you could buy carbon offsets to "offset" your electicity use. But how green is that? How many do you buy? From whom? Are they certified? Does buying carbon offsets really help the planet as much as planting trees? Probably?

Or, you could get only 5-year-old servers. You could work from home and use only solar electricity for your data center. You could only serve locally grown food at company picnics. You could outsource your tech support to some third-world country where the average person uses way fewer resources than the average person in your country.

You could keep doing this stuff forever, but the question will always be:

Does it matter?

Does it matter in terms of "helping the planet"? What does that even mean? Does it matter in terms of getting customers? I assume that's your real goal.

Cynically, if you're trying to just get customers out of it, sure, planting a tree per signup is probably going to give you the majority of the "green" marketing oomph going whole-hog green would!
    Last edited by chunkhost; 10-29-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: typo!

I actually wanted to use it to reduce the impact my servers have on the earth. marketing was another benefit but most of the customers dont care what you use to run the servers

I think your company will be green when you will have an extra green in your packet ;-)

i am not planting it.

Green Outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffer View Post
    Green Outsourced

well yah. or else here in the usa union workers will be like "since i dropped out of highschool i deserver 25 dollars an hour." - i dont mean like teachers and those people . believe they should be paid more because there job is like 24/7
    Last edited by iloveunicorns; 11-04-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: edit

Low power consumption servers(and cooling units), and alternative power consumption (green power credits) are the only things you can really do that are relevant to hosting. Everything else is just a gimmick, and although it may be helpful to the environment, it's not directly related to your industry. It'd be like taking a daily multivitamin, but not quitting smoking.
    Cyber Wurx - Dedicated Server and Co-location Provider since 1997
    Data center fully owned and operated with 24/7 ONSITE Support
    Remote Reboots, KVM, custom bandwidth alerting system and more!
    www.cyberwurx.com or sales@cyberwurx.com

i have a hosting company

thanks
    it's more than being green. it it's true, keep it up.

I wouldn't says that what your company does makes it green, it definitely helps the environment but it still uses non renewable energy.

Yes, If you are really planting those threes then I don't see why you aren't a green web hosting company.

It's a start, but IMO to be really green you need to look at everything your company does and work to reduce it's consumption of resources at all levels
    Lightbeing Creations - Solar Powered Websites
    Solar powered green web hosting

sounds nice, i agree. if you switch to green energy like whater or wind then you are fully green in my opinion.

i am not planting it.

How can you be sure they're really planing them?
    Last edited by accelerated_hosting; 02-23-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astarnes View Post
    Low power consumption servers(and cooling units), and alternative power consumption (green power credits) are the only things you can really do that are relevant to hosting. Everything else is just a gimmick, and although it may be helpful to the environment, it's not directly related to your industry. It'd be like taking a daily multivitamin, but not quitting smoking.
    Okay, I have to respond to this because my wife and I are currently working on quitting smoking.

ANY Doctor worth there grain of salt is going to tell you that taking a vitamin daily, even if you do smoke, is going to still help your overall health.

Now, there are many ways to be green, but you have to realize we use power as hosts and we use metal, along with glass.

Although a tree only helps in some aspects, I can list a few.

1.) Power can come from a variety of sources, most commonly Coal and Gas plants. Each of these produces air pollution. Trees help clear the air of this.

2.) Mining for metals can degrade the land where it is done. Planting trees in areas where this has been done can help reclaim that land.

3.) see above regading metal for glass where the sands are mined to make glass.

As you can see, trees can help offset what we cause production as hosts.

Go Green or Go Lean, if you can create verifiable business efficiencies into your business and remove any unnecessary hardware then you could say that you are going green by going lean. You don't necessarily have to plant trees. In my opinion that is a lot of work. In all honesty, going green is more marketing than anything else, and if you can use it to your advantage then go for it. If you are doing trees, then you should definitely put a tree counter on the front page of your site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast