Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'pay as you go' reseller account

Hi,

I'm looking for a reseller account but a pay as you go type account.

Lets say you offer me 30GB Space and 300GB Bandwidth. I want to pay more as I use the space and bandwidth not a constant fee.

<snipped>

Alex
    Last edited by ldcdc; 01-08-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Why not just get a hosting account that has less than 30 GB of space and less than 300 GB of bandwidth and then increase to a higher plan as you need more space/bandwidth?

There are plenty of web hosts that will allow you to start off with a "small" reseller plan and then upgrade you to a new reseller plan completely free of charge.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Quote Originally Posted by Site5 Brendan
    Why not just get a hosting account that has less than 30 GB of space and less than 300 GB of bandwidth and then increase to a higher plan as you need more space/bandwidth?

There are plenty of web hosts that will allow you to start off with a "small" reseller plan and then upgrade you to a new reseller plan completely free of charge.
    Exactly. You wont find many hosts if any that will do what your asking. Just start out on a small reseller plan.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

That is a very new concept, which I do not think exists. This is why, as the others have pointed out, there are always options to upgrade, with most hosts.
    FrogJumper.com, Superb Cpanel Web Hosting.
    Excellent, High Paying Affiliate Program.

Some people seem to be under the understanding that it's 'common' for hosts to charge an upgrade fee, which I think is the root cause of wanting to do something like this.

As far as I have seen, there's not many hosts who charge you to upgrade. It seems like a silly thing to do anyway, since you are already planning on paying them more... charging the difference in plan prices for the remainder of the billing period is common, but not a specific 'upgrade fee'.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

This kind of service you are looking for will never happen because:
    1- Everytime you need an upgrade you have to cancel your recurring payment and resignup.
    2- This kind of requests will lock the sales of the service which is offerring what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dolay
    1- Everytime you need an upgrade you have to cancel your recurring payment and resignup.
    I've upgraded/downgraded literally multiple hundreds of client's accounts, and never once have I had to cancel the recurring payment, and have the client sign up again. You simply edit the recurring amount in your billing section, make some adjustments on the server, and it's all done. Takes about 2 minutes.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    I've upgraded/downgraded literally multiple hundreds of client's accounts, and never once have I had to cancel the recurring payment, and have the client sign up again. You simply edit the recurring amount in your billing section, make some adjustments on the server, and it's all done. Takes about 2 minutes.
    So you are not accepting PayPal Paments

Quote Originally Posted by WO-Jacob
    Some people seem to be under the understanding that it's 'common' for hosts to charge an upgrade fee, which I think is the root cause of wanting to do something like this.

As far as I have seen, there's not many hosts who charge you to upgrade. It seems like a silly thing to do anyway, since you are already planning on paying them more... charging the difference in plan prices for the remainder of the billing period is common, but not a specific 'upgrade fee'.
    Exactly. I'm always amazed at the number of times we get a sales inquiry with "how much do you charge for upgrades?". What host, in their right mind, would charge a customer a service fee to spend more money with them?!?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Exactly. I'm always amazed at the number of times we get a sales inquiry with "how much do you charge for upgrades?". What host, in their right mind, would charge a customer a service fee to spend more money with them?!?

--Tina
    Actually, I have seen a few companies who do charge for upgrades. It's a nominal fee, but a fee all the same. I would imagine it's just the same policy as the phone companies who charge the one-time $25 administrative fee for upgrading to a different package. An installation/configuration fee is not out of the question.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

I've seen many companies charging for downgrades (webhosting, adsl, etc), but it's becoming rare to see charges for upgrades...
    Two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors, previously a super-affiliate.

There are not any "affordable and easy" way of upgrades except switching to another plan for both seller and buyer.

We have tried that between 2003 to 2005. Nearly all customers made several upgrades and additional recurring payments for $1-2 for a 1-2GB Disk and Bandwidth. It has only caused incredible lack on accounting and even customers confused after they see they have as much as 10 different recurrings for the same reseller plans.. And as you can guess due to min 30-40 cents charge fees we couldnt make any profit from them and effort too much to keep the accounting records properly. We even built our own client admin to allow small instant upgrades. I assure you, we did the best could be to offer "upgrade/pay as you sell/growth" which is what thread owner is asking but it did not worked not just for us also for clients.

When I wrote that it's becoming rare to charge for upgrades, I didn't meant that they shouldn't be charged. I know that it will give trouble...
    Two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors, previously a super-affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by djwk
    Hi,

Lets say you offer me 30GB Space and 300GB Bandwidth. I want to pay more as I use the space and bandwidth not a constant fee.

<snipped>

Alex
    Another reason you will not easily find this in the shared hosting world is because you're asking to only pay for your usage and not what you commit to. Many hosts rely on overselling to an extent to make money, and if they charge you only for what you use then that is thrown out the window. Same goes for "roll-over bandwidth" (like cingular), which I'm sure if you search hard enough you'll find, but not everywhere.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

Quote Originally Posted by Steven.C
    Another reason you will not easily find this in the shared hosting world is because you're asking to only pay for your usage and not what you commit to. Many hosts rely on overselling to an extent to make money, and if they charge you only for what you use then that is thrown out the window. Same goes for "roll-over bandwidth" (like cingular), which I'm sure if you search hard enough you'll find, but not everywhere.
    Even the rollover wasn't rolling over ad infinitum. It was just a more elaborate way of overselling and, as marketers say, "creating value".

isnt' this like paying monthly for your reseller account?
    zeroGenesis - Starting off from Ground zero.. a personal site..

Quote Originally Posted by djwk
    I nearly setup something along these lines, to operate like PAYG phone accounts are run here in the UK.

In the end I decided that it was no safer, in terms of being able to predict and manage resource usage, than massive over-selling and I prefer not to over-sell. And the extra admin (or coding to automate the admin) involved would not be worth the income IMO.

In fact: If anyone is giving it a go and wants the domains paygwebhosting.co.uk and paygwebhosting.com for nothing (I think they are due to expire soon anyway), I registered them and never used them...

I seem to remember in my wanderings around when I was researching Hsphere reseller accounts that there was a reseller plan that was basically pay as you go. I will have to do some research but I have seen this out there once, but it has been a while since I saw it. I remember the website but forgot the name. I will look around in the next day or two and see if I can find it again.

Dean

2- This kind of requests will lock the sales of the service which is offerring what you want.
    You simply edit the recurring amount in your billing section, make some adjustments on the server, and it's all done. Takes about 2 minutes.
    So you are not accepting PayPal Paments
    WOW - obviously no one is using hsphere

Automation is wonderful - client logs into their account - selects change plan - upgrades or downgrades to any plan within the specified plan group - hsphere automatically calculates the pro-rated charge/credit based on their source/desitnation plan and billing period - issues the invoice/credit - changes plan for customer and changes allocated resources for customer to match new plan.

Total time - about 10 seconds - total effort or intervention by provider - zero
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting

Automation is wonderful - client logs into their account - selects change plan - upgrades or downgrades to any plan within the specified plan group - hsphere automatically calculates the pro-rated charge/credit based on their source/desitnation plan and billing period - issues the invoice/credit - changes plan for customer and changes allocated resources for customer to match new plan.

$4 dollars per H-Sphere license on debit MasterCard
    $350 dollars for a fully managed server on debit MasterCard
    True Webhosting Automation - priceless.

Basically a really good billing system as Aussie Bob indicated earlier will do the job for you. I personally like MBill.

Getting back on topic though... I think its pretty safe to say that the concept of "Pay as You Go" for shared hosting will not hit the mainstream any time soon, if at all.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

Maybe Hsphere will some day create a true "pay as you go" mode. It would make data transfer and space overselling an impossibility, and enable Hsphere providers and their resellers to tap into yet another potential niche.

Maybe Hsphere will some day create a true "pay as you go" mode.
    Hey Dan - it already has it. We actually used to offer this - an "on demand" offer if you will.

But, Im not too keen on the idea and doesnt really make sense to me in the long run - its a nice idea for starting customers out - but, its not our target audience, so, we dropped it.

Our pricing level starts at a certain point and thats the client base we are after. However, having said all this, nothing would stop an hsphere provider from launching a true pay as you go reseller plan.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Basically a really good billing system as Aussie Bob indicated earlier will do the job for you. I personally like MBill.
    Hi Steven, everyone has their preferences - and happy MBill works for you - however, MB is not capable of the automation or functionality offered in hsphere.
    www.cartika.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Maybe Hsphere will some day create a true "pay as you go" mode.
    Just to add onto what CartikaHosting was saying, H-Sphere already has this functionality - simply by setting up the plan so that the base plan is a very small one - however, the overage rates for the account would be the same price per unit as was the price per unit of the base plan can you achieve something like this. I guess it's similar to NEXTEL's Fair and Flexible cell minute plans.

HTH,
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast