Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

want to find a reliable web hosting company, please help!

Hi All,

I am starting an online store and in the process of choosing a web hosting company to host my website. I've been doing some research online and it seems like everyone's experience is different... For example, some would recommend GoDaddy and others would tell people to avoid them...I'm lost!

Based on my research, I'm hoping to find a host that would provide good disk space, good bandwidth, minimal downtime, good customer support, and etc. basically for a newbie like me who wants to start an online business. I see that some hosting companies like Doteasy would offer ecommerce software like OsCommerce and Zen Cart that could help me in setting my my online store, do you think they are really useful for setting up online store? Also, I'm located in Canada, so does it matter in terms of technical support or where the host is located?

I apologize in advance if I asked some dumb questions as I am really new to this online business thing... I would much appreciate if you could make some recommendations. Thank you all very much in advance!!!

Those who recommend GoDaddy probably have really simple sites that have low traffic and as such work just fine on GoDaddy. Beyond that, my personal recommendation would be HostGator.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by hokyk View Post
    Hi All,

I am starting an online store and in the process of choosing a web hosting company to host my website. I've been doing some research online and it seems like everyone's experience is different... For example, some would recommend GoDaddy and others would tell people to avoid them...I'm lost!

Based on my research, I'm hoping to find a host that would provide good disk space, good bandwidth, minimal downtime, good customer support, and etc. basically for a newbie like me who wants to start an online business. I see that some hosting companies like Doteasy would offer ecommerce software like OsCommerce and Zen Cart that could help me in setting my my online store, do you think they are really useful for setting up online store? Also, I'm located in Canada, so does it matter in terms of technical support or where the host is located?

I apologize in advance if I asked some dumb questions as I am really new to this online business thing... I would much appreciate if you could make some recommendations. Thank you all very much in advance!!!
    If the region you will be catering to is Canada, then you should look for a host in North America.
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

Most websites should have technical support available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so it shouldn't be a problem time wise. If your native language is French, then you might want to look for a host who specializes in that. There are two Canadian hosts that are pretty well known with good reputations, with DotCanada and iWeb. I know staff members from both company's, and they both would likely be able to take of your needs quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    Most websites should have technical support available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so it shouldn't be a problem time wise. If your native language is French, then you might want to look for a host who specializes in that. There are two Canadian hosts that are pretty well known with good reputations, with DotCanada and iWeb. I know staff members from both company's, and they both would likely be able to take of your needs quite well.
    I'm a pretty strong supporter of looking into your local hosting options, as well. I think that there's a certain peace of mind that can be gained by hosting with someone within driving distance, especially if you want to tour the facility before migrating to one of their servers.

You can try hostgator.com or mddhosting.com I use them & they are very good!

Regards,
    Georgio Ha.

Most if not all hosts should be able to accommodate your needs and help you install an online store for your website. However, if you're looking to have the host get your store set up as well, (ie., configure everything for you within the ecommerce script and customize the look) you are likely looking at paying a pretty price for that.

Like Georgio H., I like Hostgator in Texas. Their hosting is very reliable and they have very good tech support. Tech support is very important because you want to get any problems with your site fixed as quickly as possible. I've used them for a <<snipped>> project that I'm currently working on and they've been great.
    Last edited by bear; 12-03-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hokyk View Post
    Hi All,

For starters I always recommend staying away from the companies that claim to offer unlimited diskspace/bandwidth (those are usually the companies that overcrowd they're servers, thus leading to various headaches for you and your business).

2nd, I think experience is very important. Therefore I recommend going with companies that have been in business for at least three years.

Other than that, your website specifications are pretty basic. Just keep in mind that you will also need an SSL and dedicated IP address to run your online store (so you might want to take those into consideration).

Hope that helps!
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

What sort of budget do you have? Any other specific requirements? This sort of information will help us to point you in the right direction.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

If you are new to hosting, I would look into a smaller host who might be more willing to help you succeed. Larger hosts might not be patient with your "newbness".

For example, a smaller host may be more willing to help with script issues and installations than a larger one.

As mentioned above, because of your location, you should look for something in US or Canada.

Also, OSCommerce and Zen Cart are included in Auto Installers, which most hosts will offer as standard.
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com

You should think about your eCommerce script/soft first If you want to start a large scale online store business. Than seeking hosting provider who meet your needs. My opinion is also same as 'HostGladiator'.
    Shared Hosting by Hosting Divine
    Fast, Affordable & Reliable Web Hosting
    24/7 365 Support, 99.99% Network Up-time Guarantee

For example, some would recommend GoDaddy and others would tell people to avoid them...
    Opinions can vary, but based on my experience, they're not the place to host a shopping cart. Website performance is important for any sites that do ecommerce, and Godaddy's shared hosting is far from delivering it.

Also, I'm located in Canada, so does it matter in terms of technical support or where the host is located?
    Probably not. A good host will provide good support at all hours of the day. Where you host might matter from an SEO point of view though: http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=62399

However, if your target market is global, hosting in the US is probably a marginally better choice to hosting in Canada.

You can use a Auto Script Installer like Softaculous to install scripts. You could use HostGator or Site5.

Good Luck.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    You can use a Auto Script Installer like Softaculous to install scripts. You could use HostGator or Site5.

Good Luck.
    Many providers offer Softaculous and other auto script installers, including but not limited to HostGator and Site5
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I would recommend you hostgator or hostmonster. Both are well known and reliable web hosting providers

Quote Originally Posted by ornela View Post
    I would recommend you hostgator or hostmonster. Both are well known and reliable web hosting providers
    I would choose HostGator over HostMonster.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

From personal experience; HostGator would be your safest bet to start with
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

I would recommend either BlueHost.com or HostGator.com - any host really that has descent storage and transfer and has cPanel with Fantastico - which GoDaddy does not. I usually only recommend GoDaddy for domains, otherwise they're overpriced in my opinion.

Thats hard

It is really hard to find a host that is reliable.
    Trust me i know i am still looking after 6 years.
    But now i have a good but not perfect hosting company!

Quote Originally Posted by apfan View Post
    It is really hard to find a host that is reliable.
    Trust me i know i am still looking after 6 years.
    But now i have a good but not perfect hosting company!
    Sorry to hear, I've been with some really good ones just you can't always go for the lowest price sometimes. I mean you get what you pay for. I'm sorry you've had bad luck though :|

Quote Originally Posted by ornela View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Delaney View Post
    I would recommend either BlueHost.com or HostGator.com - any host really that has descent storage and transfer and has cPanel with Fantastico - which GoDaddy does not. I usually only recommend GoDaddy for domains, otherwise they're overpriced in my opinion.
    So have either of you actually used the companies you are recommending? If not why are you recommending them?

So have either of you actually used the companies you are recommending? If not why are you recommending them?
    There Firebughosting service is using Hostgator
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    There Firebughosting service is using Hostgator
    Yes, I noticed the same thing but he also recommends Bluehost as well? Can you confirm he has any personal relevant experience with Bluehost?

And from DomainTools.com the last update was on 11/29/2010 which make them a client for six days the way I read it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast