Text Link - What should it cost?

What do you guys think that a text link on a PR5 site should cost me?

There are a lot more factors involved than just the PR value.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

How much traffic does the site get, how closely does the audience relate to you, and what is the expected click rate? Page Rank by itself is pretty close to being useless.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

The audience is very close to my needs.
    The expected click rate is an unknown quantity but in March the site brought me 6000 "hits" without any investment.
    Again I do not know traffic details at present but a reasonably popular site for its type.

Well, I would figure out a reasonable CPM clicks or CPM impressions, and use that as the baseline for reasonable cost.

Perhaps $2/CPM for impressions might be reasonable, and $10/CPM for hits, assuming they are quality hits (your hits-to-customer-conversion rate is respectable, I'd say 1/50 is good). I would remove Page Rank from the equation entirely. PR5 doesn't mean crap if you're not getting good traffic and new customers. You could have a link on a PR1 site and get great traffic. You could have a link on a PR8 site and get nothing of value. It's a big "so what".
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Thanks for the input.

You're quite welcome

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    Well, I would figure out a reasonable CPM clicks or CPM impressions, and use that as the baseline for reasonable cost.

Perhaps $2/CPM for impressions might be reasonable, and $10/CPM for hits, assuming they are quality hits (your hits-to-customer-conversion rate is respectable, I'd say 1/50 is good). I would remove Page Rank from the equation entirely. PR5 doesn't mean crap if you're not getting good traffic and new customers. You could have a link on a PR1 site and get great traffic. You could have a link on a PR8 site and get nothing of value. It's a big "so what".
    Text links aren't generally used to gain traffic however. High PR links are normally used to increase your own PR for SEO reasons. Banners give traffic, high PR text links increase google rankings.

Assuming the site in question is of a similar topic, I'd estimate the $5-$15/month for a PR5 link. It really depends on the quality of the site.

Impressions are generally reserved for banner ads.
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

high PR text links increase google rankings
    How much evidence of this is there, really? If this is true, that higher PR = higher SERP, then yes, it's important. But I do not for a moment believe that to be the case, because it means you can essentially purchase your way to a higher rank in Google, something Google adamantly battles against. My understanding is that while it is not entirely ignored, it's effect is minimal, and highly, highly overrated.

How much evidence of this is there, really?
    That's exactly why the PR system exists, one of the most important factors in the sorting algorithm. It's even in their own documentation.

Buying high PR text links of relevant topics WILL increase your own PR, it's common knowledge.

Quoted from: http://www.google.com/technology/ - PageRank Explained
    In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."
    Last edited by Amdac; 04-03-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Buying high PR text links of relevant topics WILL increase your own PR, it's common knowledge.
    Yes, there is no doubt about that. I'm simply wondering exactly how much impact this really has on your SERP. The page you referenced indicates a relationship. I'm not convinced, and a lot of people are not convinced that one necessarily begets the other.

Yes, there is no doubt about that. I'm simply wondering exactly how much impact this really has on your SERP. The page you referenced indicates a relationship. I'm not convinced, and a lot of people are not convinced that one necessarily begets the other.
    I don't quite understand how you can say you're "not convinced" when it's right there in the pagerank definition as indicated by Google themselves. Under the pagerank definition, it clearly states that links from a high value site will increase the value of the other. I guess it's your decision to ignore it, however most people in the SEO field are quite aware of this fact. I've jacked a PR4 site to PR7 just by purchasing high PR links, which then dropped again when I put a hold on the links. That's what the PR system is designed to do.

Perhaps you missed the part linking the term "important" to the PageRank....
    Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank,
    Last edited by Amdac; 04-03-2006 at 04:33 PM.

PageRank is a trademark name for a number that's assigned to a site based on incoming links. It is not necessarily an indication of relevency ranking when put into use.

High PageRank means you get a larger number assigned to your site. It does not necessarily mean your site gets a higher page position when someone searches for certain keywords. That's not what PageRank measures, and that's why it is dubious as an indicator of a site's value, and dubious as an instrument of meaning to a Web master.

"Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search"

I give up trying to convince you of something outlined as clear as can be. If you'd like more information, contact any major SEO company and they'll tell you from first hand experience. My PR7 site had my webhost business in the first 4 pages for my search term, now I can't even find it since the PageRank has dropped.

This is common knowledge that has been used in SEO for many years. I can't force you to believe it, I can only recommend you research it and investigate it for yourself.

Good luck.

Ok ok, I'm mixing up my language here. You are correct, and my assertion is poorly stated.

http://www.googleguide.com/google_works.html
    Google's Query Processor

The query processor has several parts, including the user interface (search box), the "engine" that evaluates queries and matches them to relevant documents, and the results formatter.

PageRank is Google's system for ranking web pages. A page with a higher PageRank is deemed more important and is more likely to be listed above a page with a lower PageRank.

Google considers over a hundred factors in computing a PageRank and determining which documents are most relevant to a query, including the popularity of the page, the position and size of the search terms within the page, and the proximity of the search terms to one another on the page. A patent application discusses other factors that Google considers when ranking a page. Visit SEOmoz.org's report for an interpretation of the concepts and the practical applications contained in Google's patent application.

Google also applies machine-learning techniques to improve its performance automatically by learning relationships and associations within the stored data. For example, the spelling-correcting system uses such techniques to figure out likely alternative spellings. Google closely guards the formulas it uses to calculate relevance; they're tweaked to improve quality and performance, and to outwit the latest devious techniques used by spammers.

Indexing the full text of the web allows Google to go beyond simply matching single search terms. Google gives more priority to pages that have search terms near each other and in the same order as the query. Google can also match multi-word phrases and sentences. Since Google indexes HTML code in addition to the text on the page, users can restrict searches on the basis of where query words appear, e.g., in the title, in the URL, in the body, and in links to the page, options offered by the Advanced-Search page and search operators.
    It seems the issue is whether purchasing links has that great an impact, given the hundreds of factors that weigh into PageRank.

Some more interesting reading, in which a few tests are conducted to draw a correlation between PR and relevency, with very mixed results. http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/28117.htm

There's some interesting debate in that thread, now that I'm reading beyond the first few pages

There are a couple SEO peeps on WHT who I'd like to hear from, and I think I'd like to start a thread or two to see if we can gather the resources to end the debate once and for all (probably something Google doesn't want to happen!).