Getting programming Training/Qualifications

Hi,
    I would really like to get trained up with programming. So far alot of my knowledge has come from me, trying out things, learning from mistakes, intentionally making problems for myself to work out of etc. I would like to know those members who are qualifed, whether there is some form of online/home course I could take which possibly has a NVQ or equivlant at the end of it.Preferably a low priced course would be ideal. One of the main reasons I need this is because come September I'm off to college to study electronics and microcomputing and I feel to gain a better understanding that I might benifit from a home or online programming course.
    If anyone does know of any courses or sites please reply here,
    Best Regards,
    Matt Seymour

Best course would be to outline a achievable project to do in a language you already have some affinity, then try to implement it. In the way you will come up with many issues to solve. Even if you dont manage to achieve the end, it will provide you with a sound understanding of the neccessity of things you will learn in college and where to use them.

Hmm I suppose so. Any suggestions of what project I should attempt in Php?
    Many thanks,
    Matt Seymour

I'm off to college to study electronics and microcomputing and I feel to gain a better understanding that I might benifit from a home or online programming course.
    Will your courses be covering PHP though? If not I wouldn’t recommend taking a php course if you are looking for something that will help you gain a better understanding before you enter college.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetojackson
    Will your courses be covering PHP though? If not I wouldn’t recommend taking a php course if you are looking for something that will help you gain a better understanding before you enter college.
    The course mainly covers c++
    Matt