Question IT qualifications.. advice needed

Ok, there are a number of people on these forums who have a lot of experience within the IT industry, so I thought this would be the best place to post this...

What qualifications can you recommend which would help me to obtain a job in the IT industry? I know thats incredibly vague, but I don't have a firm idea of what I want to do yet, so what general qualifications can help. I've seen the A+ certification mentioned here and there, and the MCP course seems to be quite good...

Thanks
    Andy

Just do whatever you want that's IT related. There is a shortage of IT jobs so you should be fine.

Its kind of hard to get your foot in the door though - from what I have seen, some sort of qualification can really help. I've always enjoyed support work, and most support posts require a high level of experience.. I was under the impression that most companies would require some sort of qualification to prove that.

The newer MCSE certification (2000 and 2003 tracks) and especially Linux or Cisco (CCNP or CCNA) certifications seem to help. But expect to start out on the bottom; help desk, workstation technician, etc. Most job postings for higher-level positions want experience in addition to certifications and there is no shortage of qualified IT professionals in the post dot-com era.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Really it's just luck. Im working in an IT position for CIGNA corporation. I think experience is what's most important, I came into this position with several certifications none of which really apply to the job I do here, however I had past experience doing similar work. Certifications are great but will only take you so far, I've been promoted two different times to new teams.

At this point on without a degree I can't go any further, so while certifications will help get you in the door somewhere a degree will take you further. Starting this fall im going back to college on a part time basis so I can advance myself.

As mentioned starting in a support position is a good way to get in the door. I started out here as a level3 support technician which is the most technical support team in the company, granted the work was relatively simple for being the companies "Most Technical Team". I've twice moved since then, now im on a non-support team which was my goal to be in a more behind the scenes kind of position.

Thanks for the advice - the only problem is getting the job which gets you the experience...

Knowing people is what is getting me my experience.
    josh

I've got my A+ exam next month!

And CLAIT - that'll get you to the top

get a degree it won't expire on you... then you can play around with certs.