Anyone here done/doing CISCO qualifications?

Hi,

I have been doing the CISCO CCNA for a while now and have done the first 2 chapters of semester 4. I ALWAYS seem to fall short of the 70% passmark we have everytime. However hard i learn I still don't pass. Can anyone recommend good revision materials? And some good Router simulators or anything. Because my practical skills are lacking a bit too.

Assuming you're using Windows here is a program that I found on Download.com...
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st-7-5.6313625

BeachFront also has a nice Router Sim and tests. They are not free but they gaurantee a pass or money back..
    Regards,
    Brian P.
    Digital X Web[TM], LLC
    http://digitalxweb.net

I'm contemplating doing CCNA this year.
    My school is a Cisco academy and lets me do them for free. Well, $100 on books or something.

Should I bother doing it?
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

My college (in the UK think its not same as college in US) is an academy. The CCNA Is quite hard even if you are knowledgable to start with. You need to get a lot of practical work on the routers/switches i find. Other than that its worthwhile. The only problem i have is trying to keep my attention on the curriculum instead of looking at other websites.

The hardest part about getting my CCNA was the fact that I always use the shorthand i.e. "copy run start", "conf t", etc.

Go to www.examcram.com and check out the book written specifically for that Exam 640-507 by Coriolis press, it's really good stuff.

As far as hands on, I configure this stuff daily, so I guess I've got an upper hand there, but I'd say that if you can read that book, you'll fly though. Or if all else fails, take a CCNA boot camp through a local university, they usaully offer financial aid if needed.

Has anybody tried this:
    http://www.routersim.com/

I did the first two semesters of the CCNA and came out with a 93% average on both semesters. I haven't gotten around to the last two semesters yet... I found myself having to actually teach the teacher too often, and I somewhat lost interest.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Originally posted by jkehe
    I did the first two semesters of the CCNA and came out with a 93% average on both semesters. I haven't gotten around to the last two semesters yet... I found myself having to actually teach the teacher too often, and I somewhat lost interest.
    That's interesting. I've contacted a few people who have done the CCNA, or are doing it and I have found the response varies a lot. Some people have found it totally easy, like you, and some say they spend 6 hours learning for each exam. I have no idea where i'd sit and i'm having trouble working out whether I should do it.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

I hate to say it, but the CCNA is nada in comparision, have you looked at the pass/fail rates on the CCNP and especially the CCIE?

I'm not sure what you do for primary income NetXL, but I encourage eveyone to get as many certs as possible, it never hurts. I have a ton of Nortel OC-12/48/192 SONET and DMS 10/500 certs, pretty much useless in my current job, but just being certified increases your professional value if nothing else.

Hi!
    If I wanted to get my CCNA Where would I turn to/go?

Chris

Check out www.vue.com for a testing center in your area. Check the link I posted above for a really good study book, beware, it's a massive tome.

Originally posted by MDJ2000
    I hate to say it, but the CCNA is nada in comparision, have you looked at the pass/fail rates on the CCNP and especially the CCIE?

I'm not sure what you do for primary income NetXL, but I encourage eveyone to get as many certs as possible, it never hurts. I have a ton of Nortel OC-12/48/192 SONET and DMS 10/500 certs, pretty much useless in my current job, but just being certified increases your professional value if nothing else.
    I mainly do design work, though with a new job that is likely coming up. I'd really like to brush up on my network skills and general knowledge. I think I will do the CCNA. Do you know of other places I can just read and build up knowledge of internal data center network, roles of hardware and such? Thankyou,
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com