"splitting" a dedicated servers

Hello

I'm reading up on all this server hosting stuff, it's really interesting to me and I've been able to find an answer to most of my questions using google, but there's one question that i haven't had any success in finding an answer for.

I was wondering how hosting companies are able to "split" their dedicated server, so the customer doesn't use more ram, hdd space etc than he paid for?

Well on a physical server, whatever the customer orders is what is put into the server. It's impossible to go over that.

If you're talking about a VPS you would use something like SolusVM with OpenVZ etc. to manage that.
    ⚫⚪⚫⚪ Running your web hosting business has never been easier - Hostistic.com
    ⚫⚪⚫⚪ More Details coming soon!

This is possible by using virtualization, OpenVZ, KVM, XEN, etc...

Thank you for the replies. Really appreciate it

I'm currently reading about virtualization and it seems really cool. Are there any other important topics like Virtualization, that i could read up on?

Go read up on esxi, xen, kvm,or hyper-v. The best thing to do is get a linux box and do some hands on learning.

Quote Originally Posted by saschoen View Post
    Go read up on esxi, xen, kvm,or hyper-v. The best thing to do is get a linux box and do some hands on learning.
    I have another computer consisting of some of my older hardware. i installed Debian 64bit on the machine, and started playing around with Xen. I managed to setup a Xen VP and I am now hosting a teamspeak 3 server for me and buddies. I plan on playing around with Xen some more, and possibly installing a private game server, or two, for me to mess around with, and of course i plan on reading a lot more about Xen and possibly the other solutions.

Thank you all for replying to my thread, and helping me gain a bit more understanding of how all of this work.

If they're allocating dedicated resources preventing a customer from using more than they have then they would be using SolusVM with probably Xen HVM. So more or less in layman's terms is a Hardware backed VPS as the set amount of resources are dedicated to that particular VPS on the machine.

for gaming or any other heavy projects I don't recommend to use the OpenVZ, as much better performance will be with the following virtualizations: KVM or XEN
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by Largo05 View Post
    If they're allocating dedicated resources preventing a customer from using more than they have then they would be using SolusVM with probably Xen HVM. So more or less in layman's terms is a Hardware backed VPS as the set amount of resources are dedicated to that particular VPS on the machine.
    Thank you for mentioning SolusVM, i'm gonna install CentOS on my other machine later, and play around with SolusVM.

So far what I've managed to gather is that you could use SolusVM to quickly setup Xen HVM's, with pre-installed software(like Multicraft, Mysql, etc) instead of manually using the xen commands to set it up, and installing the software?

Please correct me, if i'm wrong. I feel a little overwhelmed with all the information, and i might have mixed it up.

So everyone is using VMs to split up there dedicated servers for clients?

Since no one seems to be addressing your actual question but instead focusing on virutal machines, I'll try to address the other case:

You can use quotas to set up limits on processes, disk, etc per user.

You can do this using the ulimit command to set process limits and such and use quota to set disk limit:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lin...ialQuotas.html

What game is it for?
    Maybe there is a control panel that can segment everything.

It depends on the game and the host. Most have built in slot or memory limits built in.

Minecraft for instance you can set a memory limit - hence why most companies offer memory limits when purchasing a server.

DayZ/Arma2 is typically limited to 3GB of ram and two CPUs natively. For some reason its unable to use more than this.

Starbound/Terraria offer memory and player slot limitations.

HLDS is based on player slot limitations.

Mumble and Teamspeak is based on slot limitations

We find that using a dedicated servers running a single operating system works best so that we're not wasting resources on running multiple OSes.