* SEO drop after domain migration

My website migrated from the domain 'smartphonegeeks.in' to 'techtage.com' in January, this year, 2 years after it was launched in the same month in 2011.

The forum (http://forum.techtage.com) used to get around 175-200 online users now gets around 40-50! I owned the old domain for around 1 more month before it expired. I had set up 301 redirections as well.

Now it seems that Google is not indexing both my forum and my blog (root of the domain) well. Even unique content isn't often indexed and listed properly. It takes so much time to index stuff, and once it does index stuff, most of the things are receiving very poor rankings. I regularly check Webmasters' Tools and there doesn't seem to be any issue there.

I'd like to know what might be causing this and if there's any fix(es) for this issue.

why did you change the domain of your successful forum?

looks like someone already bought the old domain.

If you changed your domain name, you will have to rebuild your domain authority etc., as not a single backlink will be valid anymore. If you don't own the old domain anymore, there is no "fix" for that, but to start from scratch SEO wise. Google indexes new contect slowly, because your new domain has no authority whatsoever yet.
    Inbound Marketing & real SEO for web hosting providers
    ✎ Get in touch with me: co<at>infinitnet.de

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post
    why did you change the domain of your successful forum?

looks like someone already bought the old domain.
    Because I wanted the forum to cover all of technology, not just smartphones. :/

Quote Originally Posted by infinitnet View Post
    If you changed your domain name, you will have to rebuild your domain authority etc., as not a single backlink will be valid anymore. If you don't own the old domain anymore, there is no "fix" for that, but to start from scratch SEO wise. Google indexes new contect slowly, because your new domain has no authority whatsoever yet.
    The old domain had 301 redirects to the new one for around 30 days. Wouldn't that work?

No, the 301 redirects should have been there "forever" then and not just for 30 days.
    Inbound Marketing & real SEO for web hosting providers
    ✎ Get in touch with me: co<at>infinitnet.de

No, the 301 redirects should have been there "forever" then and not just for 30 days.
    Ahh... too bad I didn't check it out in depth back then. :/ The old domain had direct backlinks from even sites like Engadget and PhoneArena.

It will take time for the new one to rebiuld from a 301 but keep in mind Google has been releasing a lot of new updates that may have killed your ranking.
    WordPress Hosting
    Shared / White Label Reseller WHM | SSD Cloud | CloudLinux

www.LarisMedia.com Wordpress & Magento Website Design

If you modified your sector address, you will have to restore your sector power etc., as not only one back-link will be legitimate any longer. If you don't own the old sector any longer, there is no "fix" for that, but to begin from the beginning SEO sensible.

Indeed - don't let old redirected domains expire because they will carry the authority over to the new domain.

Once the old domain is gone, that authority no longer carries over.

301 redirections set up not working as your old domain opening and still not available.