Thread: MYSQL Questions

MYSQL Questions

Hello everyone,

I was wondering something about mysql databases. I am looking for a new webhost and got my eyes on a couple of good-looking ones. It's a good thing that I'm someone who's willing to do some intensive research coz a lot of webhosting companies offer a lot but forget to mention some details. It's also a good thing that there's a forum like WHT out there hehe.

My current forum (vBulletin) got over 17,000 members registered. How many are online simultaneously is hard to say. Most of the times it's 20-40 but the record shows 234 users online at the same time so something it's a bit more... I've got many mods installed which could cause a higher server load.

First of all I would like to ask something about the wait_time of mysql. On my current host I noticed it's set to 28800 which is the default right? The host CirtexHosting.com told me they've set it to 30, even on their own vBulletin forum which runs more then good according to them. Hostgator for example got it set to 3600. Is 3600 good enough?

Another thing I would like to know more about are the mysql connections. At my current webhost it's set to "max_connections 100". The "max_user_connections" is set to 0. Does this mean that unlimited number of users can connect to the database? Another webhost (which I kind of fancy) told me they got their wait_timeout set at 28800 (which is good), max_connections to 500 and max_user_connections to 50. Can I work with these numbers? My mysql knowledge is very limited so I was hoping I could get some help here.

I hope I could get some help. Would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Bozza

Smile

No one can guarantee your forum will run perfectly fine without errors with these numbers. You have to try your host and see if it works ok! But I think that these numbers will work fine as long as your query does not take too long to execute.

Thanks for the quick reponse YUPAPA. On my current webhost, Flexwebhosting, the forum has been up and running perfectly for over a year. I just think I'm overpaying for what I get in return. To try a different host isn't so easy. Not every host got a 30 days money back policy and some who do don't got SSH access which makes transfering a mysql database of 85MB a pain in the ***.

On my current webhost I've got max_user_connections 0. Does this just mean the max user has been disabled and there is no max? Btw, I got this number by checking admin cp -> maintenance -> diagnostics -> system information (vBulletin).

I'm thinking of changing servers but it's hard to find a "cheap" and good webhosting company (one that is honoust). One told me their number of connections is 500 and max_user_connections is set to 50. What does this exactly mean? Most of the times there are 20-50 users online but there are times that I've got over 100 users online. With a max_user_connections limit set to 50, what can I expect in the case of 100 users coming online? I don't really know what does variables mean...

It means that it will allow up to 500 connections at the same time but if it is set to 50 then I would guess their server will allow 500 but they only allow the users on shared hosting accounts to have 50 ... Make sure you check AUP before you buy hosting someone will only allow as low as 20 users at one time.
    Northwest Missouri Hosting "Cheap Reliable Hosting."
    WHM/Cpanel
    Reseller Accounts Now Available!!

They send this to me in an e-mail:

"max_connections limit is 500 and max_user_connections limit is 50"

I was just wondering what the difference between both is and if I can run my forum properly (check first post for my forum info). They also said that they might be able to make the numbers higher if needed.

I'm thinking of changing servers but it's hard to find a "cheap" and good webhosting company (one that is honoust). One told me their number of connections is 500 and max_user_connections is set to 50. What does this exactly mean? Most of the times there are 20-50 users online but there are times that I've got over 100 users online. With a max_user_connections limit set to 50, what can I expect in the case of 100 users coming online? I don't really know what does variables mean...
    You cannot find "good" and "cheap" as far as application hosting goes.

Typically with VB, especially if heavily mod'ed - you may not be closing connections properly (some of the mods are horrible at this). Make sure you have p_connect turned OFF and have someone qualified to check through your code and ensure all of your connections are closing off properly.

max-user connection is the number of connections each DB user is entitled to have. if you have 24-50 people online, you should not be coming close to this limit. However, it is possible the mysql server is reaching its total limit, even if each individual user is not reaching theirs (which would mean the the mysql server is either oversold or not optimized properly - or both I guess)

the more oversold they are (ie the cheaper they are), the more they need to limit each users access to resources. If you want shared hosting with high resource allocations (ie a shared hosting package that will allow you to utilize your purchased allocation towards application hosting, you need to pay a minimum of $1/GB of transfer)
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems