Help with DDOS attack - GoDaddy

Hey guys, I really need your help!

I have shared hosting on godaddy (big mistake I know). For the past four days my sites have been hit with a denial of service attack. The daily host connections went from 80K one day to 5million the very next day. All coming from a few IPs. All my sites are returning now is a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable message.
    I've contacted godaddy support countless times and they really have no idea how to deal with it, it takes a few emails and a few phone calls just to get them to realise there is an issue (stay away from godaddy hosting!).

So I put in a htaccess file like so, blocking all except my own ip to try and get the sites back online.

Code:
    deny from all
    allow from 000.000.000.000
    But hours after I did this I'm still getting 503 errors. Any ideas???

Is the DDOS attack on your website or the shared web server?
    Jweeb Solutions
    Singapore Web Consulting & Solutions
    Web Consulting - Web Hosting - Web Design & Development and more...
    http://www.jweeb.com.sg - Making the Web Simple!

Logs shows that its hitting my websites .com domain name, not an IP address or anything.

DDoS Attacks are standard issue for GoDaddy
    Tiger Host | Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Domain Registration
    ---> 24/7/365 Live Chat & Help Desk Support.
    ---> cPanel 11,Softaculous,Fantastico & more.
    ---> http://www.tiger-host.net

You might one want to consider some ddos protected hosting .. there is not much you can since your on shared hosting... godaddy I bet is probably on it hopefully... just sit out for now see how it goes please make post on here if you need further advice.
    Mrgeekchris.com ~ It's not just a job It's a passion
    "Mistakes are proof that you are trying"

If your site is getting attacked, a simple .htaccess is not going to fix that. I don't know what's causing a 503, perhaps max connections.

You should talk to Godaddy about this.

Thanks for the replys. I've contacted godaddy a lot about this issue they are saying to just use a .htaccess file?
    I tried blocking everything using htaccess and didn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingDan View Post
    Thanks for the replys. I've contacted godaddy a lot about this issue they are saying to just use a .htaccess file?
    I tried blocking everything using htaccess and didn't change a thing.
    lol as said before that is not gonna fix a DDos ... and i urgently urge you to choose a provider that knows his stuff not amateurs like scamdaddy

What is the nature of your website? More than likely its probably the entire server that is being attacked, but really I would only be speculating without having access to that particular server.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

For a simple shared account, I'd be skeptical it's the only one being attacked. Also, the Tier 1 support people at GoDaddy are very very challenged when it comes to handling difficult problems. It's best to demand escalation to a higher tier to get help.

And I agree: A normal .htaccess file, unless weirdly configured, shouldn't invite hackers.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

Thanks for the replys guys, all good advice. Sound like changing host is the way to go.

So a ddos would cause 503's to appear? As in all the extra connections maxout the maximum concurrent connections and everyone starts getting 503s? Does that sound right?

Yes, a DDOS may cause the server to be unresponsive and display such errors.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

Did you manage to mitigate your DDOS attack?

Thanks for the replys guys, all good advice. Sound like changing host is the way to go.

So a ddos would cause 503's to appear? As in all the extra connections maxout the maximum concurrent connections and everyone starts getting 503s? Does that sound right?
    http://help.godaddy.com/topic/67/article/5089

Those are your connection limits in case you haven't seen that page yet.

It's just one type of DDOS attack. You could actually do the same with just one machine if the website doesn't have the appropriate apache mods installed to limit connections per ip.

If you've persistently get this type of attack, you might have to consider using a VPS.

you should think about moving to a better host if you can

Anyway, you can't block anything on a shared hosting :/

Hey guys, I really need your help!

I have shared hosting on godaddy (big mistake I know). For the past four days my sites have been hit with a denial of service attack. The daily host connections went from 80K one day to 5million the very next day. All coming from a few IPs. All my sites are returning now is a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable message.
    I've contacted godaddy support countless times and they really have no idea how to deal with it, it takes a few emails and a few phone calls just to get them to realise there is an issue (stay away from godaddy hosting!).

So I put in a htaccess file like so, blocking all except my own ip to try and get the sites back online.

Code:
    deny from all
    allow from 000.000.000.000
    But hours after I did this I'm still getting 503 errors. Any ideas???
    Have on godaddy Nginx + FacstCGI?

In my thought , you already waste many time , I think that would be better as below ,

[ first aid ]

1. select 'on-demand service provider ' ( what checkpoint ,refer to my previous reply )
    2. change dns ip according to service provider
    3. reopen your service

[ basic step ]
    1. separate ip with others

That is most simple and transparent process (not move to other IDC , that could be make another 'down-time' .