Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hivelocity is a nightmare

I setup a Hivelocity dedicated server up. They put the server online which took longer then it should have.

They had several server outages, and I came to the conclusion that I would have to cancel the server. So I faxed in their cancellation form On Monday, March 3rd. My next billing period was March 5th.

Much to my dismay I received a charge on my credit card for the full amount of the server on Tuesday, March 4th. I emailed and asked why and they said that they had a "15 day window before they turn off a server."

First, this is ridiculous. No company needs 15 days for them to shut a server down. Its not hard. The only reason they do this is to prolong your billing period (aka, to get as much money as possible from you).

Second, I emailed their "GM" in a nice polite email asking for a refund, and I at least expected a reply back. Nope. Nothing.

I had the server less than one month and it went down 3 times for a total of about 18 hours of downtime. Reasons: 1) Tech "hit the Ethernet cable and it lost connection to the DC." 2) "Bad" power supply. 3) "Restarted server", no reason given.

This post is to provide insight into Hivelocity and anyone considering them should avoid them at all costs.

They still have not refunded the 2nd credit card charge.
      0 Not allowed!

Not familiar with their TOS however if you agreed to a 15 day cancellation notice prior to your billing date then it isn't their fault you didn't cancel within the agreed time line. Don't get me wrong, I don't know if it is in their TOS or not.
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr
      0 Not allowed!

They may refund it but they should not.

When you signed up I am quite sure you clicked a button stating that you agreed to their Terms of Service. Most companies require some cancellation notice and dedicated servers are no exception. They still need to make the payment on it and for all you know they ended up ordering new hardware to fill the needs of another customer because your server wasn't freed up then only to have you at the last minute decide to cancel.

If you run a business you should understand that there are costs that don't just go away because your customer decides not to hold up their end of the deal.

With regard to the outages I obviously can't comment on that as you haven't really provided sufficient information.
      0 Not allowed!

I find this post strange.

1.) How long did it take to setup and provision your server? What makes you think it takes longer to setup? Have you worked in a Data Center? 24-72 hours or sometimes longer is normal.

2.) Why is it not hard to decommission a server? No it doesn't take 15 days to physically shutdown a server, but it's more involved than that.

Oh, and apparently you didn't read.
    A. Requesting an Account Cancellation

A cancellation will only be accepted if it is done by one of the following methods:

Print the PDF file found below and complete the form in FULL. You must FAX this cancellation form to 813-514-0842.

Click here to download cancellation form

All account cancellations must be received in the above manner at least fifteen (15) days in advance of the date of renewal. Accounts cancelled with less than fifteen (15) days notice shall be cancelled at the end of the next term and shall be charged accordingly.
    I'm also very curious to find out what "problems" you were having?
    Last edited by cloudrck; 03-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.

0 Not allowed!

...when you click on their "I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use" upon checkout, it takes you to their home page, it has been like this for several weeks, and they still haven't fixed it.
      0 Not allowed!

First, this is ridiculous. No company needs 15 days for them to shut a server down. Its not hard. The only reason they do this is to prolong your billing period (aka, to get as much money as possible from you).
    This is actually pretty common. Its not a matter of doing the labor to shut down the server, its a matter of policy. If you don't have the forethought enough to cancel within what their TOS specifies (apparently 15 days in this case), why should they jump through hoops to meet your time deadline (aka when your next invoice cycle begins)
    James Cornman
    365 Data Centers - AS19151/AS29838
    Colocation • Network Connectivity • Managed Infrastructure Services
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by geckofrog View Post
    ...when you click on their "I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use" upon checkout, it takes you to their home page, it has been like this for several weeks, and they still haven't fixed it.
    Why did you agree to terms you didn't read?

0 Not allowed!

Coolraul see my post on the TOS.

daejuanj

1. It took longer then 72 hours. They promised 24.
    2. I understand its envolved, but for a Linux server which is what I had, it doesn't take 15 days, or even a whole day.
      0 Not allowed!

Coolraul see my post on the TOS.

daejuanj

1. It took longer then 72 hours. They promised 24.
    2. I understand its envolved, but for a Linux server which is what I had, it doesn't take 15 days, or even a whole day.
    How long did it take?

And again, no one says it takes 15 days to shutdown your server. It's more to do with policies of running a business.

0 Not allowed!

amc-james No it isn't. I canceled a liquid web server for a client and they did it the day before the next billing period and all I had to do is confirm the last four of my credit card number.
      0 Not allowed!

amc-james No it isn't. I canceled a liquid web server for a client and they did it the day before the next billing period and all I had to do is confirm the last four of my credit card number.
    Well Liquid Web is NOT Hivelocity. Each business has different policies, which you fail to read. I don't see why you are arguing business practices.

And it is pretty common.

0 Not allowed!

daejuanj 96 hours. Yes I agree that it is business policies and I understand the fact that companies need to have some sort of turnaround to lease out the server again. My point is why was I charged with all these other problems? If they would have at least "waived" their policies then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
      0 Not allowed!

daejuanj 96 hours. Yes I agree that it is business policies and I understand the fact that companies need to have some sort of turnaround to lease out the server again. My point is why was I charged with all these other problems? If they would have at least "waived" their policies then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    They have to have a very good reason to go against company policy for you. With the problems you had, it seems like they should have offered you credit for downtime according to their SLA, which probably wouldn't be very much.

0 Not allowed!

You were charged because you failed to follow the cancellation policy. Whether it takes 2 hours to take down the server or 2 months, it doesn't matter. You agreed to the policy and you haven't apparently read it nor followed it.

Mods should change the title of this topic. Reflects poorly on Hivelocity when in fact, their client didn't follow procedures and is now complaining.
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr
      0 Not allowed!

daejuanj Why would I argue business policies? Because the company can waive their own policies. THEY can make the customer happy. They didn't. And it was so easy to do.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by eclouds View Post
    You were charged because you failed to follow the cancellation policy. Whether it takes 2 hours to take down the server or 2 months, it doesn't matter. You agreed to the policy and you haven't apparently read it nor followed it.

Mods should change the title of this topic. Reflects poorly on Hivelocity when in fact, their client didn't follow procedures and is now complaining.
    With that attitude I am shocked you even have any customers, you wouldn't waive a policy you had if it meant a happy customer and business down the road?
      0 Not allowed!

With that attitude I am shocked you even have any customers, you wouldn't waive a policy you had if it meant a happy customer and business down the road?
    What's the point of having policies or rules if you are going to break them just to make a customer happy? There's a reason they have the polices in place. Most of the time breaking polices would just hurt them as a company.
    Last edited by cloudrck; 03-06-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: grammar

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Well Liquid Web is NOT Hivelocity. Each business has different policies, which you fail to read. I don't see why you are arguing business practices.

And it is pretty common.
    You are dead on with each and every reply.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    You are dead on with each and every reply.

Sirius
    This has become all too common on WHT, where people complain about "X" when "X" was talked about in the companies TOS/AUP.

0 Not allowed!

What's the point of having policies or rules if you are going to break them just to make a customer happy? There's a reason they have the polices in place. Most of the time breaking polices would just hurt them as a company.
    You have policies so you don't get taken advantage of. In this case, I happily paid for the first month of service. I am not trying to take advantage of hivelocity.

Refunding the amount charged would not hurt hivelocity.
    Currently the server is just running, and will continue to do so for 15 days, talk about a waste of resources, and poor management.
      0 Not allowed!

This has become all too common on WHT, where people complain about "X" when "X" was talked about in the companies TOS/AUP.
    Yes I am just a "person" who happens to manage over 5,000 servers for my daytime job.
    I know how long it takes to turn a Linux server around, and I know how to waive policies to keep future clients happy.
      0 Not allowed!

I have your email and I planned on replying to you today. In your email you state "If I need another server in the future I wouldn't hesitate to order from hivelocity and recommend it to my geek friends." and " I also would like to note that your Tech Support was excellent and I was very surprised to see that coming from an unmanaged server (better support then liquid web actually)". I am a bit confused by the 2 different stories. Either way, I will be replying to your email today. Since you are asking me to do something outside the scope of our normal policy I would ask for a little leniancy on not replying immediately.
    Last edited by hivelocitygm; 03-06-2008 at 12:41 PM.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support
      0 Not allowed!

No point in continue arguing, and this thread is a waste of good resources. You didn't read in how you were required to cancel, which you agreed to, and now you are whining because they didn't bend over to please you.

Yes I am just a "person" who happens to manage over 5,000 servers for my daytime job.
    I know how long it takes to turn a Linux server around, and I know how to waive policies to keep future clients happy.
    Unless you worked for Hivelocity, than you do not know how long it takes for them to turn around a server.

0 Not allowed!

I have researched each and every ticket you opened with us and have found the following.

1. 2/21 Your server was down, you opened a ticket, server was rebooted within 3 minutes of your request and back online.

2. 2/12- We replaced a power supply and server was back online within 20 minutes of your ticket being opened.

3. 2/7 You asked us to install antirelayd, clamd, cpsrvd, exim (exim-4.68-1_cpanel_maildir), ftpd,httpd (1.3.37 (Unix)imap,mysql (5.0.45-community),named (9.2.4),pop and spamd

4. 2/7 Please install PHP 5.25 and Mysql 5. Completed within the hour of ticket.

Which was completed within 40 minutes of your request.

I reiterate that you emailed me stating our service was great and our tech support was "excellent". In your email you state you are cancelling because you "no longer need the server" with no mention of any service problems. This seems to be another case of someone going to the forums hoping some mud slinging will get them a refund.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support
      0 Not allowed!

daejuanj Why would I argue business policies? Because the company can waive their own policies. THEY can make the customer happy. They didn't. And it was so easy to do.
    Sure they can waive their own policies. But WHY?
    That's like saying Bill Gates can give you 15 billion dollars. Sure he can do it, but he shouldn't.
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast