Dreaming to sell your domain for millions?

Each and everyday you hear stories about some name getting thousands of dollars from the buyer. You also jump right into the game of domaining and hope for that lucky day to arrive when someone might get interested in your domain name. Right?

How to get started?

The main problem with newbies over here is that they do very less research and start spending their money on useless names. After 6 months or a year their moral goes down the drain and they are back where they were but with lighter pockets then before.

Some people get into the trademark mess. They get sued by trademark holding company and then they show their temper openly on forums and other message boards.

Some can't even monetize their domains to get the renewal fees for the upcoming period.

If you have 4 or 5 domains then you can surely shed the amount from your own pocket. But when the figure goes around 100's and 1000's it is very hard to renew the domains for the future.

My advice to newbies would be to stick at 25 to 50 domains. They can earn for 10 or 20 renewals per year if your names are below average. Some domain might get you more revenue and it can fill the gap for you. Ultimately the main thing is to not lose a domain for nothing. You should at least get its registration fees from it. This will not start downfall of your domain empire which you want to build. 1 dollar loss is also a big loss if you have more then 100 or 500 domains in your domain portfolio.

So what kind of domains you should buy?

Choose wisely on which name you are putting your money. Three characters .com's are creating a lot of chaos right now in the market. Their prices goes sky high in domain name aftermarkets. Generic dictionary words are also long gone. New TLD's are not so stable right now, dot-com still rules the internet. You might get lucky in some other TLD's but I wouldn't advice you if you are new in the game.

4 letters have 456976 combinations from AAAA to ZZZZ. Of them only around 5000 are left. Which is of course the garbage.

What do we do now if we still want to get out feets wet in this?

Look for some guy who is willing to sell his domain for less. There are plenty of places to find this kind of domains available for sale at lower prices. You can go to forums specially created for this kind of discussions. If you don't know any then here is the one Nameslot.com Go there look for some domains which might fall under our category and then approach the seller. Here also lookout for trademark issues and blacklisting for that particular domain. You can generally get this info from doing a whois search for that domain here Whois.sc

Keep your eyes and ears open for latest news. It might shed some light and you might be the lucky one who grabs that name for just registration fees and sell it for 1000's. Work on them and get every cent out of them. This will keep you in the game. The main thing over here is not to win the game but to be in it and be till the last.

©2005 Nameslot.com
    Last edited by bear; 11-17-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks for the info!

Thats for your time and effort, maybe you can explain a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by Malatya View Post
    Thats for your time and effort, maybe you can explain a bit more?
    I doubt it... looks like an advert for his site... The one url he posted is to a forum.... not even a good forum.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I don't think this thread will remain open for very long.
    WebHostingReviews.com (Established 1999)
    Web Hosting Customers: Happy or unhappy with your host? Let others know on our web site.
    Web Hosting Companies: Drive traffic to your site by getting listed in ours.

There's some solid advice in this article that has some truth behind it. I don't think it should bedeleted, but I wouldn't be surprised if they removed his links.

Any domain you own should pay its own "rent." If it doesn't, you are doing something wrong.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

Good info here. Everyone has that dream of selling that domain for thousands of dollars..Some people make it happen and some don't. It's not always about the overture score, google results, or anything like that. Who would have guessed 6 years ago MySpace would be where it is today. Some names will sell just because of their brandability.

What a boring thread! Becoming a millionaire with a domain name! That's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgm View Post
    I don't think this thread will remain open for very long.
    It's been open since March.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Goof topic. Even i have few domains in my pocket will good names and i would like to sell it off.

4 letters have 456976 combinations from AAAA to ZZZZ?

Crikey! no wonder nobody wants my crappy LLLL.coms

nice info for newbies like me ;p
    Magnet Hosting | Layanan Hosting dan Server Indonesia
    http://www.magnet-id.com Indonesian Data Center, Peering with IIX and openIXP

Did anyone hear the recent story of the guy who sold www.pizza.com for something like 2.8 million? No sh*t.. unbelievable he bought it in 1994 before the internet became popular. I wonder all the things we can do TODAY which might create such a profit in 10 years.

i bought windowzxp.com hopefully that will mean something

Quote Originally Posted by PirateServe View Post
    i bought windowzxp.com hopefully that will mean something
    Copyright alert
    "We are made of emotions, we are all looking for emotions, it's only a question of finding a way to experience them..."
    Ayrton Senna ::: Always in our hearts...

I would not bet on Windows XP being around for too long as OS but good luck with it.

Regarding the original post I think it is great info specially for newbies, maybe a copy and paste from somewhere but I dont mind.

This is about as worthless a thread as seen recently

The purpose of this forum is to assist each other with viable and valuable directions, guidance, etc.

To state the obvious is obvious

Waste of time
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart

Quote Originally Posted by marcbarak View Post
    This is about as worthless a thread as seen recently

The purpose of this forum is to assist each other with viable and valuable directions, guidance, etc.

To state the obvious is obvious

Waste of time
    ditto, definately not a tutorial.
    EZHostz.Biz (Established in 2003)
    EZHostz.Biz <-> Reseller Info Domain Name Sales, WebHosting, Email Only Hosting, & Much More.
    Providers of Directi & Enom Reseller Accounts.

indeed, and now it's too late

Quote Originally Posted by subzer0 View Post
    Did anyone hear the recent story of the guy who sold www.pizza.com for something like 2.8 million? No sh*t.. unbelievable he bought it in 1994 before the internet became popular. I wonder all the things we can do TODAY which might create such a profit in 10 years.
    You must appreciate the patience of that guy. I can't wait for this long to sell my domain names and pay for renewals.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Thanks for the info but its not much of a tutorial more a information point.

Thanks for the info