Thread: Game server?

Game server?

I wanted to know if anyone knows If I were to get this server
    -----------------------------
    Core2Quad Q8200 Dedicated Server -
    SINGLE CPU QUAD CORE 2.33GHZ 1333FSB (4MB CACHE)
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    250GB SATA
    4000GB/month Traffic
    How many Counter Strike: Source, 32 man, 66 tick. would I be able to run off it?

3max. Do you need it in Europe or USA?
    YISP - High Bandwidth dedicated servers and colocation in YISP-AS(Amsterdam)!

I doubt you can host 3 servers which all have 32 players in it simultaniously.
    See if you can increase memory, then you should be able to host more.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Hmm ok say I upgrade to 4gig? then how many would I be able to?

It depends if the servers are full... You can run lots of game servers (if there is no one playing on them) then it wont use much resources.

I use to have a quad Xeon with around 4GB RAM - Ran lot's of servers but they were not always full.

Well it's a good cheap server and was wanting to sell some server cheap I mean cheap and use that money and pay off the server while i use it to host my websites and have it paid off for free...

Ok that sounds fine. Usually i would not recommend putting your site and game servers together, but it sounds ok, you can always upgrade if you feel your servers getting heavy loads.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekiller View Post
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    250GB SATA
    4000GB/month Traffic
    How many Counter Strike: Source, 32 man, 66 tick. would I be able to run off it?
    This wouldn't happen to be BurstNET, is it? If you are really in Los Angeles, I would recommend something at least central to the US - Chicago or Dallas.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

Talk to the guys over at ColoCrossing.com - they specialize in the game server industry and offer a number of different locations
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

NuclearFallout is the place you want to go for dedicated game servers. They give more RAM than most places I have seen for the cost.

You really don't need to go with an overpriced GSP for a game server box. Just find a datacenter with a good network in the location you want and get to work.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

Moved > Game Servers.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

You might want to check out clanservers.com, they have some pretty good dedicated server deals.

Sticking to the central US is really important for game servers.
    ColoCrossing - Dedicated to Uptime
    Jon Biloh | jbiloh@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716 | Skype: jbiloh
    DDOS Protected Colo & Dedicated Servers in Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles

I already know location is key. Thanks for all your help will be taking it into condideration.

You could run lots of servers on that just they can't be fulled, if yes it may run really bad for you.

May I recommend something to you?

Contact Jon Biloh @ ColoCrossing (Patrick referred you :])
    JBiloh@ColoCrossing.com - He'll hook you up

Get a Core2Quad Q6600, 4GB Ram, 250GB HD...he should be able to do this for you at $150/month, Windows OS would be $22/month extra

If you're looking to host 66 tick source servers...I'm almost positive you can run about 200-250 active slots. If you're going to 100 tick, lower it to 100-150 active slots.

Remember though, if hosting Orangebox games, the amount of slots you can run will dramatically decrease.

Check out 100tb.com

All I gotta say.

2GB DDR2 RAM
    250GB SATA
    4000GB/month Traffic
    You can never really put an exact figure on how many slots or games you can run on a certain server configuration. I've seen two servers built the same specs, os and totally run different. I would suggest increasing the memory (4-8 gig)to maximize the server potential though. Then it would probably make enough money to pay for itself.
    Wanna be guru

Well it's a good cheap server and was wanting to sell some server cheap I mean cheap and use that money and pay off the server while i use it to host my websites and have it paid off for free...

baised on that statement alone I would presume you are co-locating a server you are thinking of buying?

So we can all stop recommending him hosts as hes looking for co-location not actually renting a dedicated server.

I'm going to answer the question you actually raised...

and I would have to agree with whats been said already, if the servers are not full I would say you could easily host 3, but if there not active you could get away with hosting more.

However personally I would upgrade the ram to atleast 4gb.

Haha well said it.

That machine will handle 3 x 32 Slot boosted servers easily. 2GB of memory is enough if you don't want to keep a limited amount of gameservers for best performance. But I would increase the machine to 4GB of memory in case you don't see many active users on the gameserver and want to host more.