CHMOD permissions

I'm using CPanel4 and dont have access to telnet. I'm not very familiar with changing chmod permissions and in Cpanel4 where it looks like i may do so, say i enter the number 770 it will show the file i changed with the number 600 or something... Is this what's supposed to happen?

Please help me i need to make a toplist.

It's better if you can FTP to your site to CHMOD your files with an FTP program, rather than in Cpanel..............Just my thoughts

When you FTP into your site, With WSFtp all you need to do is highlight the file right-click go down to unix commands and pick chmod from there you can either type in the chmod number you want or setup the seperate permissions.

Thanks, when i attempted changing permissions in wsftp I didn't know that

Here's a quick and (very) basic guide to permissions. You have three groups that the permissions can apply to, user (that's you), group (other users that may belong to the same group as you), and other (that's everyone else or the world). You have three type of permissions, read, write, and execute. Each of these permissions is assigned a value: read=4, write=2, execute=1.

So if you see something like this: 755

That translates to:
    User: 7 = Read(4) + Write(2) + Execute(1)
    Group: 5 = Read(4) + Execute(1)
    Other: 5 = Read(4) + Execute(1)

That's normally what you might see on an executable file that you want everyone to be able to run, but only the user can change it.

A text file that you want everyone to be able to read, but only you can change might be: 644

User: 6 = Read(4) + Write(2)
    Group: 4 = Read(4)
    Other: 4 = Read(4)

A file that everyone can read and write: 666 (usually not a good thing :-)
    User, Group, Other: 6 = Read(4) + Write(2)

A file that only the user can execute or change: 700
    User: 7 = Read(4) + Write(2) + Execute(1)
    Group: 0 = no permissions
    Other: 0 = no permissions

Hopefully that will help.

Richard
    Enigma Hosting
    "I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying!"

Well, I chmod alot of cgis at 705. That makes them world-readable for the user; and readable and executable for the web (but not writeable).

I don't think others on the same server can read or write to them like they could if you had them at 755. Sometimes, I even use a 701. I think that by putting 0 for the group permissions is safer; but I could be wrong. I never really did understand what 'group' was for.