192.168.*.*, 10.*.*.* etc in my logs

I understand that some IP ranges are reserved for private internets, so we shouldn't be seeing such IPs in our logs, isn't it?

But some of my users are logged with such IP addresses, question is, are they intentionally doing so by using some anonymizer or something?

The reason is, I'm trying to trace some chargebacks and some of these guys are using these reserved IP ranges. Should I refuse to process transaction for users with such IPs?

Thanks for any help!

Re: 192.168.*.*, 10.*.*.* etc in my logs

Originally posted by erickoh
    I understand that some IP ranges are reserved for private internets, so we shouldn't be seeing such IPs in our logs, isn't it?

But some of my users are logged with such IP addresses, question is, are they intentionally doing so by using some anonymizer or something?

The reason is, I'm trying to trace some chargebacks and some of these guys are using these reserved IP ranges. Should I refuse to process transaction for users with such IPs?

Thanks for any help!

Maybe your shopping cart software is simply logging the wrong IP address. You see, when a user is accessing your site, his original IP address is also included in HTTP request. So, it is possible for your shopping cart software to log using the user's IP address and not the proxy server IP address. However, it doesn't make sense to log using user's IP address when the user is behind a NAT firewall.

I could be wrong though.