Java web hosting .

I want to host an ecommerce website which I have created using jsp servlet and running on apache tomcat with mysql database . I am searching for a web host for my requirements .
    My website has a fixed amount of users maximum 2000 . Which kind of hosting is required for me as in shared JVM or VPS ?
    I have talked to many web hosts and they suggested VPS . IF I am selecting VPS , I would like to know how much RAM , disk space will be needed for the same . Also , which hosting is required like windows or linux .
    Thanks in advance .

What space and bandwidth do you need? Tomcat generally needs RAM...
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

Hi Abhishek. Welcome to WHT Forums.

When you opt for a JSP website, servlets are installed on your domain. Once servlets are installed, you just have to upload a .war file and it gets deployed automatically. With the older versions of tomcat, there was a need to restart the service. But with Apache/Tomcat 6.x and later, it gets deployed automatically. Looking at your requirements, you can host the websites on both hosting platforms (shared/VPS)

Tomcat/Java is a resource hogger and that's the reason not all web hosts allow it on shared platform. For website with 2000 visitors a shared hosting platform with disk space in between 8GB to 10GB & 50GB bandwidth is good to go with. If you are considering a VPS, it should atleast have 2 Cores with 2GB RAM. If you have more than this it will surely help the website performance.

I would prefer to go with Linux. But, it will work on both. cPanel linux as well as Windows Plesk. Both the environment should have Java/JSP enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesWeb View Post
    Hi Abhishek. Welcome to WHT Forums.

When you opt for a JSP website, servlets are installed on your domain. Once servlets are installed, you just have to upload a .war file and it gets deployed automatically. With the older versions of tomcat, there was a need to restart the service. But with Apache/Tomcat 6.x and later, it gets deployed automatically. Looking at your requirements, you can host the websites on both hosting platforms (shared/VPS)

Tomcat/Java is a resource hogger and that's the reason not all web hosts allow it on shared platform. For website with 2000 visitors a shared hosting platform with disk space in between 8GB to 10GB & 50GB bandwidth is good to go with. If you are considering a VPS, it should atleast have 2 Cores with 2GB RAM. If you have more than this it will surely help the website performance.

I would prefer to go with Linux. But, it will work on both. cPanel linux as well as Windows Plesk. Both the environment should have Java/JSP enabled.
    Thanks for the replies . I am opting for Windows VPS server .
    My website have maximum of 1000 users and concurrent users will be way below that . I need 40 gb of disk space and 500 gb bandwidth. Can i get the benchmarks so that i can determine the resources I need especially RAM and CPU ?

I would suggest to get a Linux VPS with 2 Core CPU and 2 GB RAM. Windows VPS would be a costly option. You can add a control panel to the VPS for easy management. Even if there is less traffic you should get the VPS with 2 CPU cores and 2 GB RAM because JAVA and Tomcat would eat up good resource and may slow down the website.

Other than cost is there any other difference between windows and linux vps .

The control panel are different with Windows and Linux. You will not get cPanel with Windows where as Plesk is possible with both OS. Other than this, there are many differences between both. But, it depends on your requirements for it.