Hybrid View

Billing Upgrades/Downgrades

Ok this may seem like a silly question, since normally this is just handled by the billing system. However I am not using any normal billing system I am opting to write my own so it can be intergrated with my custom control panel for a specialized type of hosting I am going to do.

That said, I will be accepting PayPal payments via Website Payments Standard and intergrating with IPN. Users may opt to pay each invoice as it comes or use a subscription to have it auto-paid.

Now my question is how do I handle upgrade and downgrades for those who pay by subscription?

You probably can't. The only possibility is cancel the subscription manually at paypal if you have a upgrade/downgrade request and let your customer re-subscribe from the 1st invoice after the upgrade/downgrade.

That is how we do it anyway. I think there is no option to raise/lower the recurring price for a current paypal subscription. The customer has to agree to that first...

Quote Originally Posted by DidierE View Post
    You probably can't. The only possibility is cancel the subscription manually at paypal if you have a upgrade/downgrade request and let your customer re-subscribe from the 1st invoice after the upgrade/downgrade.

That is how we do it anyway. I think there is no option to raise/lower the recurring price for a current paypal subscription. The customer has to agree to that first...
    This sounds about right?

Does anyone know how WHMCS handles this?
    Hydro Host – Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro_Host View Post
    This sounds about right?

Does anyone know how WHMCS handles this?
    We work with WHMCS so i know from experience that it doesn't by default change the paypal subscription amount

WHMCS does allow clients to change the subscription amounts, however due to limitations in PayPal's API it's not quite perfect: http://wiki.whmcs.com/PayPal#Modify_Subscriptions
    WHMCS
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support System
    Documentation | Help Guides

Thanks for the info. For now though I don't have access to PayPal API's as I am not using Pro, maybe as a grow it might be worth the cost to use API's to automate more stuff.

In the meantime When the customer upgrades/dpwngrades I'll just have it generate an email to me telling me to csncel their subnscription then I will manually do that and on their next non-prorated invoice it will provide the customer with a button to start a new subscription.

Thanks for the insight.

I am really starting to have an appriciation for what billing systems do. When I read that link about WHMCS modifying subscriptons elsewhere on the page it mentioned that it won't show the user a subscription button after the due date to avoid all future payments being late, thats something I probably would not have thought of until it happens to me unless I saw that.