Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Laptop for College

I'll be attending college this fall, close to a month from now and I'll need a laptop.

I have a lot of money saved up from work, graduation, etc. Any suggestions?

Please link me to the product page, if you have experience with the laptop, why you like it, etc.
    Soccer Surfer | Top 10 Soccer Players

I bought recently a high-end Dell Inspiron 6400 (aka E1505):
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs
    Impressed and satisfied.

I have also 2 other MS based laptops in addition to a Mac):
    - A Toshiba Qosmio F20: http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...3795&category=
    - And an Ultra-Portable Sony SZ Series: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...Dept=computers

They're both impressive.

It all comes to your specific needs. What are you looking for exactly? What is your field of study? What do you plan to do mainly with your laptop? Graphics and gaming, or both, or mainly busniess applications, surfing the Internet... etc?

Well it'll be used for school work, but I also may put Photoshop etc on it

Have you heard anything about the Toshiba Tablet PCs, a friend of mine had one and it look sweet.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...i7bWg0g/4.?p=0

I keep having problems with my dell inspiron 6000's keys popping off and it can get quite annoying so uh...yeah read a couple of reviews on http://notebookforums.com

Quote Originally Posted by conceptual
    I keep having problems with my dell inspiron 6000's keys popping off and it can get quite annoying so uh...yeah read a couple of reviews on http://notebookforums.com
    I think the 6000 model has been discontinued and is no longer sold by Dell.

In the shop, we get 2 or 3 dell laptops per week that have to have the power connector soldered back on to the MOBO. (no joke)

I've only noticed the trend with Dell...
    Kevin

It is mostly the "Law of large numbers". Dell is a market leader.
    Personally, I'm "into" my 6th or 7th Dell. never had a glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by kvnband
    In the shop, we get 2 or 3 dell laptops per week that have to have the power connector soldered back on to the MOBO. (no joke)

I've only noticed the trend with Dell...
    Kevin

Is this a specific model or just in general? Thanks for the info.

Johnny
    Freelance Community
    http://www.freelancelounge.com

I want to say that it's mostly the inspiron 6xxx models, but don't quote me on that. But in a town of 25,000, 2 or 3 a week is a LOT....Then again, I've had my dell laptop for 3 years now and haven't had a problem yet....

Quote Originally Posted by kvnband
    I want to say that it's mostly the inspiron 6xxx models, but don't quote me on that. But in a town of 25,000, 2 or 3 a week is a LOT....Then again, I've had my dell laptop for 3 years now and haven't had a problem yet....

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I do agree with you on the amount being returned to you is a lot. I guess the old saying is true "They don't make them like they use to"

Johnny
    Freelance Community
    http://www.freelancelounge.com

For school I would highly recommend a Mac. You don't need headaches and dealing with viruses/spyware. You can get a macbook for $1000. They are getting ready to do a speed bump and most likely upgrade there video cards. You can find a macbook or macbook pro cheap once the speed bump takes place aug 7th.

There is rumors about a new macbook pro housing due to the current one overheating.

Mac Pro and ACD's will be upgraded to INTEL processors and new upgraded ACD's

Macbook, Macbook Pro.

If your not into the apple thing load up winxp in bootcamp.

If that doesnt float your boat, try HP they make some excellent laptops.

I'd suggest the MacBook (not Pro), or if you don't like Macs, than an alienware.

Preferably the Assasin Alienware Notebook. It has a 19 Inch screen

i reccomend an intel pentium 3 1ghz laptop with 20gb space

that did the trick for me

Any other suggestions or comments you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    I'd suggest the MacBook (not Pro), or if you don't like Macs, than an alienware.

Preferably the Assasin Alienware Notebook. It has a 19 Inch screen
    Why not the Pro? I don't really like the MacBook keyboard layout, do you own one?

I have just received my new laptop which I am extremely impressed with..

It's a HP Pavilion DV5157EU
    Processor: AMD Turion 64 - ML34 (1.8Ghz)
    1GB DDR RAM
    100GB Hard drive
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M with dedicated 128MB Memory
    DVD Writer Dual Format (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support
    15.4” WXGA High Definition BrightView w i d e s c r e e n
    Built in a/b/g WiFi
    Full size keyboard
    6 in 1 Digita Media Reader
    Remote Control (very handy!)

I've been playing a lot of games on it, all with maximum resolution and everything set to high. Games run smoothly without any problems in stunning graphics.

As for multi tasking, today I was:
    - Playing a game (in widescreen )
    - Listening to music
    - Downloading things using Limewire
    - Dreamweaver/Photoshop/MSN messenger open
    - Firefox with 12 tabs open
    All at the same time - system was still working really fast..

So as you can see, I'm really happy with my laptop. I've had an Acer before, power jack broke recently (after 5 years of use). I've also been using a Sony Vaio as well. Pretty good but not for me..

This laptop packs style, a host of features for multimedia and serious work as well great price..

£700.00 (approx $1,293) including delivery. You may be able to find this or a similar model in the US.

I've bought it for for my final year at university. The work I do involves a lot of multi-tasking, and plus I enjoy using my laptop for entertainment as well. This suits my needs perfectly..

I would wait until Mid August however before making a firm decision. New processors are being released, and existing processor prices are being slashed (although AMD didn't mention any price cuts for Turion processors)..

Good luck!

Thanks for all your suggestions and help you guys. I wonder if this will work MacBook Donation

I'd avoid toshiba laptobs they overheat all the time and are slow.

If you got the cash Voodoos are crazy , or the MAC laptops, the ibooks or something>? Yeah they're good

Jako, you should grab something from dell -- but, don't do it online. Call their reps and work with one of them

We 'recently' bought a 17" dell inspiron, dual core, 1gb ram, x1400 video card all for around $1600 USD WITH a 3 year warranty. Going through their site that would've cost around $2000+. Dell does a great job, but it all matters on how much you want to spend. From best to next best I'd rank the companys in the following:
    Falcon NorthWest (undisputed leader of computers)
    Voodoo
    Monarch
    Alienware
    Dell

F NW is the BEST company out there, and they charge a lot for it. If you have a problem with your $4500 laptop? No problem. They overnight it from your place to them, fix the problem within a day or 2, ship it back to you overnight all free of charge. That's why you pay for 'em.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    Jako, you should grab something from dell -- but, don't do it online. Call their reps and work with one of them

We 'recently' bought a 17" dell inspiron, dual core, 1gb ram, x1400 video card all for around $1600 USD WITH a 3 year warranty. Going through their site that would've cost around $2000+. Dell does a great job, but it all matters on how much you want to spend.
    That seems pretty high compared to this loaded Inspiron E1705 for $1070 although yours has the upgraded 3 yr warranty.

Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2250 (1.73GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
    FREE!1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
    60GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    10/100 Network Card and Modem
    8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Integrated Audio
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
    53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
    Free SKIN Promotion 17 - Free Promotion for 17 inch Skin

$1647 - 35% coupon = $1070

OP - I would recommend a MacBook or Dell XPS 1210. If you're a gamer I would get the Dell E1505 or E1705.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

So now the coupon comes out.... Well, we also have a larger HDD, room for 2gb's of ram, and more bells and whistles, upgraded battery, etc. Although that video card is making me angry... we have the gay x1400 compared to That.

So now the coupon comes out.... Well, we also have a larger HDD, room for 2gb's of ram, and more bells and whistles, upgraded battery, etc. Although that video card is making me angry... we have the gay x1400 compared to That.
    I wouldn't pay Dell's premium for their RAM and HD which are cheaper to upgrade yourself, and it's very easy to do.

The video card though ... that's gotta hurt. Ouch.
    What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN
    I wouldn't pay Dell's premium for their RAM and HD which are cheaper to upgrade yourself, and it's very easy to do.

The video card though ... that's gotta hurt. Ouch.
    It really, really does... It's my dads officially, but the second I'm off to university it becomes mine -- and I just got screwed big time. I wanted to do it our way and upgrade everything ourselves, but he just wanted to go the easier route (even though hes a better tech than me). Sigh... Ow.

It really, really does... It's my dads officially, but the second I'm off to university it becomes mine -- and I just got screwed big time. I wanted to do it our way and upgrade everything ourselves, but he just wanted to go the easier route (even though hes a better tech than me). Sigh... Ow.
    Being a geek and a cheap one at that I would have stood my ground. Of course if he's paying for it, you really don't have a choice. I feel for you.

When I ordered my Dell 700m (which I'm using right now) I got the minimal 256MB and bought 1GB SODIMM from NewEgg.com 5 minutes later it was installed and ready to go. My first time upgrading RAM in a laptop and I was a little slow/cautious/nervous.
    What's your budget?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast