Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yourwebhosthome View Post
    google page speed is very good to test your web site loading spaeed also.
    I believe the google page speed you are referring is the same thing as I posted for Firefox's page speed.

These is very useful. Thanks for sharing nice tips.

Thanks for the great tips, I will try them out later, hopfully they will work.

-Cameron

Thanks, interesting.

Use webpagehost.com and their various geographically dispersed locations to spot check your site and most used pages. This is likely the best free optimization tool out there - completely web based.

If your site gets any real usage, putting static files on a CDN *can* make a huge difference and reduce load on your already over taxed server(s).

Putting a front end content cache in place (Varnish or Squid) and controlling the freshness of pages so avoids re-creating pages on every request hugely improves load times.

App level cache should be used.

Query cache should be used within your database.

Memcached or similar key storage should be used for various tasks. We shove configuration files, queries and anything else we can creatively in memcached. It's very fast.

Putting good harddrives in your server in RAID can make a big improvement on high file IO sites. SSDs give you an entirely new level of performance most RAID setups can't touch - and yes, you can RAID SSDs.

I think most complicated is re-working your site so convert your application files - say PHP pages to output to flat HTML files and only use the PHP pages at defined times. Not all content needs to be baked fresh for every page load.

Finally, consider a better provider/hosting company with better network connectivity and lower latency to your audience.

place your javascript code in an external file then just call the functions from your web pages. find a good web host or if you've got the budget, subscribe to a dedicated IP hosting.

The website loading time is also considered by Google as part of site optimization.

I think Wordpress Thesis theme is good to load the site fast as we compare to others and Thesis theme is very friendly with SEO.

Use this website http://gtmetrix.com/
    It can compare your speed with you competitors also and tell you exactly what needs optimization in your website
    Just follow there tips in Yslow tab and you will optimize dramatically your website speed.

Also if you use a well known CMS like wordpress, Joomla or Drupal then there are many scripts and modules that can optimize your website but you should use them in caution. They involve tasks like:

- Combine javascript
    - Combine css
    - Combine images
    - Minify (Compress) and gzip
    and much more

I'm familiar with most design tips mentioned so far, but you guys were talking about creating a cache for your page. What is this exactly, how do you do it, and how does it help? I know google keeps a cache image of your pages after they are indexed, but I can't see how that would help with loading speeds. And the viewers' local web cache is not exactly something webmasters can influence, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakiscy View Post
    Use this website http://gtmetrix.com/
    It can compare your speed with you competitors also and tell you exactly what needs optimization in your website
    Just follow there tips in Yslow tab and you will optimize dramatically your website speed.

Also if you use a well known CMS like wordpress, Joomla or Drupal then there are many scripts and modules that can optimize your website but you should use them in caution. They involve tasks like:

- Combine javascript
    - Combine css
    - Combine images
    - Minify (Compress) and gzip
    and much more
    You've shared a good site, its showing, specifically everything about our websites as well as competitors sites.

superb ideas

I have been searching for such ideas for a long time. I have many websites but never got the good traffic on them, i never knew that it was so easy to start with. I will now follow your tips and I believe that my website will run with a great pace now. Thanks for sharing such wonderful tips my friend.

For website speed you can do following things:

- Avoid flash and heavy images in web designing
    - Choose faster hosting
    - Use easy navigation

Quote Originally Posted by Platformic View Post
    There are lots of tools out there at tell you how to optimize your pages. Response time is function of several factors, namely C, N and S. Client, Network and Server Time.

The client time includes the think time on the users PC. When a machine renders an image of executes code it uses some CPU and memory resources. Depending on available resources and what needs to be executed or displayed, the Client workstation may offer some tuning opportunity e.g. additional memory, or CPU upgrades. Browsers on the client could be tuned to improve performance. HTTP is an asynchronous protocol and the both the HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 standards have attempted to take advantage of this by allow for multiple socket connections to the server. In HTTP 1.0 4 socket connections could be opened, allowing for HTTP commands to be executed simultaneously. This parallelism allows for data to be transferred quickly and should the server set the keep alive, the connections will remain persistent throughout the page load. For larger hi quality images, TCP windowing adjustments on the client workstation may also be made to insure that there is no window exhaustion that throttles the transfer.

The network, as was mentioned above, includes bandwidth and latency. The later being the physical propagation delay of the wire from the workstation to the server. This as was indicated above is a function of distance. Most web traffic is not sensitive to latency persay. Because it executes parallel commands it is actually quite efficient over longer distances. What causes the delay is what is know as TCP slow start. When a TCP connection is made it begins transferring data slowly because it is "feeling out" the connection. This usually starts with only a few packets to ascertain how fast the connection is so that it can optimize the throughput. You can actually calculate that by hand using RTT/Window Size. This is called the bandwidth delay product. You can get around this stuff by using acceleration appliances or WAN optimizers that spoof the connection setup and then ramp up the throughput on the land and pass it directly to the client.
    As far as bandwidth is concerned, you only need to worry about one thing; your slowest link. You can never transfer anything faster than that. If you have 56 kbps at the desktop, then that is max throughput. Compression can help but only nominally if you have a bandwidth problem.

This leave us with S, the server. The optimization here is similar to the client; more memory more CPU. But the real issues are really application oriented. You need to reduce image sizes, make sure back end database calls are efficient and optimize your web layouts. Sure server scalability is important but more often than not, the problems lie with the way the users have constructed the web application.

Anyway, food for thought.
    Great food for thought! Thanks for this, cleared up a few things for me. This is a great thread.

I've always been a fan of WebPageTest.org as they allow you to run various tests at different speeds across the globe. Can't hurt to add another to the list .

Keep a simple design, have a good hosting site.

helpful tips, it is important to load website fast

Great tutorial!

I'm a big fan of reducing external calls and increasing load times. Use of a secured database can speed loading up significantly, as can consolidating CSS and scripts.

A great tool to check out for analyzing site load times is YSlow by Yahoo. It's an addon for your browser that analyzes various elements and makes suggestions to improve speed. http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/

Nice post..

Thanks for sharing! This is very useful.

Hey, i have tried most of the things for improving the page load time of my site, like CSS sprite, gzip, image optimization, etc. but there is a very slight improvement in the load time. Can anyone please go through the link below and suggest me some tips to decrease the page load time.
    http://www.cdnmobilesolutions.com
    Thanks in advance..!

These are some great tips. I know it is very aggrivating when you come to a site that loads slow. I usually only give it 10 seconds or so to load and if it does not load, I find another site to go to. Often times this is overlooked but it is important to have a fast loading site. I feel that the faster your site loads, the more traffic/visitors you will have.

You are exactly right here and useful information about the topic but i have a related question that Drupal web sites are slow in speed while it loads into browser?

24. Quote Originally Posted by Rifat View Post
    Speed is certainly one of the most important factors when it comes to making a successful web site. These days’ people have high expectations, they expect a web site to load as fast as an application on their operating system, and therefore even a few seconds of waiting can frustrate them or leave altogether.

A good website should take about 8-12 seconds (for a 56K) to load. The website owner is going to have to decide how fast its pages are going to be, for example for a multimedia or a flash site they can afford to be a bit slower than others provided that the users know the nature of the site.

If you're curious as to how fast you're website is here are two websites that checks your speed:

http://www.vertain.com/?sst
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

Ways to speed up your website

HTML issues:

- Use CSS where possible: Because pages with stylesheets load faster than those web sites designed with font tags and tables, and also it's much faster and easier to make changes. (Some resources on CSS – http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly resources/css/, http://www.websitetips.com/css/, and http://www.glish.com/css/)

- Stay clear of nested tables: Nested tables are basically tables within tables, but too many of theses can really slow down the browser. When a page loads the browser starts from the top and goes down in a consecutive manner, with nested tables it has to find the end of the table before it can display the entire thing.

- Specifying height and width: For tables and images it's a good idea to specify their height and width, as it helps out the browser and therefore speeds up the process.
    thank you for this useful post
    I will put all this into practice!!!

Another thing that really effects and slows down the load time are fonts. Using web fonts have advantages but it comes with a cost too. Avoid using more then 1 web font on a single page. Also , some fonts are much lighter compared to others. http://www.google.com/webfonts does a good job by showing how much a font will effect the loadtime.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast