Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Game Server Expert Advise

I was just wondering if the following server specs would be able to host 6 game servers for the following games and if it would be possible to run them at 500fps.

Counter-Strike 1.6 - 20 slots pub & 12 slots priv
    Counter-Strike: Condition Zero - 20 slots pub & 12 slots priv
    Counter-Strike: Source - 20 slots pub & 12 slots priv

Specs:
    Core2Duo E6600
    2048MB DDR2 RAM
    160GB SATA 3 HD
    8 IP Addresses
    1200GB Premium BW

So you'll have 96 total slots if I understand you correctly? All used at the same time? If so I would say this server might not hold up, especially with 1200 GB of bandwidth.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

I disagree, that server is more then enough for what you want to do with it.
    ColoCrossing - Connecting Business
    Alex Vial | avial@colocrossing.com | 1.800.518.9716

Enterprise-Class Colo & Dedicated Servers in BUF, CHI, DFW, NYC, SJC, ATL & SEA

Yeah... you need a beefier processor and more RAM, if possible (for caching). Oh, and, that whole high FPS thing won't work either because it uses A LOT of power.

i was just wondering if any of u have any experience in game server hosting ? yes the servers will all be running at the same time but what is the odds of all 96 slots being occupied at the same time? i need some ppl that really know what they are talking about to give some input and i just saw that avizzle your from colocrossing and that plan is from there so you might just be sayin it will be enough to get a new customer

We've deployed Core2Duo and Core2Quad solutions for many of our customers who use them for game hosting. We've had nothing but positive feedback regarding their performance.

Additionally, we run one of the larger GSP's in the industry and use Core2Quad's extensively.

For what you wanna do Core2Quads.

The problem is that you're boosting each server extensively. Therefore you're going to run out of processing power simply on a Core2Duo.

I agree that that server should have no problem handling that load. Odds of all 96 slots being used are rare but even if they are it should handle the load. If it doesn't you might need to lower the tic. It also depends on what mods you are running because they consume more resources than a vanilla Half-Life Install.
    Last edited by Insomnia Gaming; 08-08-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3nraged View Post
    avizzle your from colocrossing and that plan is from there so you might just be sayin it will be enough to get a new customer
    Core2Duos have a large penetration into the industry as a whole, if you look at most providers they are offering them

thanks for the input ill go with vigor's advice on the Core2Quads and see if i can find a good deal with one but please keep posting, he could be wrong

I think a Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad (much preferred in my opinion) would be the best solution for you as well. I'd probably go with a Core 2 Quad with 4 GB of memory and the same amount of bandwidth (which you shouldn't use much at all of) for the amount you want to host, but then again a Core 2 Duo may very well be plenty with 2 GB of memory.

Definitely check out ColoCrossing.com in my opinion for your needs. As being owned by Velocity (one of the biggest game server providers), they obviously know what they are doing and can provide you with some excellent support. I actually had 2 boxes with them.
    Ryan Hughes
    Web Designer
    Feel free to PM me!

The Core 2 Duo E6600 is a beast with 4MB cache, it can definitely handle 3 publics and 3 privates. I ran a game server on one of our 6600, it uses about 40% cpu (1 core) with 18 players full CS: Source, not all privates will be in use, and not all publics will be full, so with the dual-core I think you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Definitely check out ColoCrossing.com in my opinion for your needs. As being owned by Velocity (one of the biggest game server providers), they obviously know what they are doing and can provide you with some excellent support. I actually had 2 boxes with them.
    Ryan you work for Velocity which owns Colocrossing, are you aware that self promotion on these forums is highly frowned upon? I see you're relatively new here so you may want to take a look at the rules.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/rules.php

To set this straight.

Ryan was a former customer and owner of Cross Servers. He is now an affiliate at Velocity; you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdubz31 View Post
    To set this straight.

Ryan was a former customer and owner of Cross Servers. He is now an affiliate at Velocity; you are correct.
    Right so it would be considered self promotion considering he is working for Velocity (sales to my knowledge) and Velocity owns Cross-Servers it's the same company ownership.

However I think Velocity/Cross-Servers is a solid company.
    Last edited by viGeek; 08-09-2007 at 12:14 PM.

We do not own Cross-Servers, and never have. Ryan is enrolled in our affiliates program that you can view here: affiliates.velocity-servers.net. He is not a company employee.

We do not own Cross-Servers, and never have. Ryan is enrolled in our affiliates program that you can view here: affiliates.velocity-servers.net. He is not a company employee.

Mistake, I meant to say Colocrossing,,, not Cross-Servers.

If Ryan is just an affiliate how come he's op'd in your IRC channel and goes on IRC by "Velocity|Ryan-Sales" or whatever it is. You let all of your affiliates tag up as company representatives and op them?

If they request, we do. The same is true with Zak, Dustin, and Mikhail.

If they request, we do. The same is true with Zak, Dustin, and Mikhail.
    I know this not make much sense to you.

But the reality is whether he's an affiliate and or an actual sales representative. He still has an agenda, which is to promote and sell Velocity based services, which also owns Colocrossing. Therefore his opinion is biased, even if he used your services before, he's affiliated with your company now, which is why he shouldn't be recommending their serices on WHT.

Vigor,

I understand you and Ryan have personal issues between the two of you not related to Velocity, Colocrossing, or anything we sell for that matter. Please keep your personal conflicts to yourself and the people involved.

Quote Originally Posted by vigor View Post
    I know this not make much sense to you.

But the reality is whether he's an affiliate and or an actual sales representative. He still has an agenda, which is to promote and sell Velocity based services, which also owns Colocrossing. Therefore his opinion is biased, even if he used your services before, he's affiliated with your company now, which is why he shouldn't be recommending their serices on WHT.
    Vigor,
    All I want you to realize, is we didn't send him to here to promote. He was a customer as of a week or so ago, therefore his opinions are backed by experience.

And I agree, I will email him reminding him of the WHT rules.

Aye,

No hard feelings. I know you guys didn't send him here to promomte. I was just letting him know that he was violating the rules due to his association.

Cmon now was this called for? lol im looking for advice not drama and also i already saw all this vigor thats why i was looking for some more input and that Insomnia Gaming guy joined the site on the same day i asked for help, whats the odds of that? but who knows

I think the Core2Quad is exactly what your looking for. The C2D should hold up just fine under normal use, but I would go the extra step and get the more powerful server just incase.

Alot of it depends on what OS your running.
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

That will be fine for them servers, it isn't that demanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast