One question about tv streaming!

Hi. First i do not know if i am in the right forum if i am not please move this to the right forum.

Well , my question is the following : to broadcast in the internet a christian tv channel what kind of server is right to use. What this person wants is to upload the programming to the internet and then create a playlist like a radio station but instead of radio is videos.
    It will have 2 connections (broadband & Dial Up). I would like to know what kind of server this person can buy, the price and what program can be use to create the playlist for the videos.

I will apreciate your help/!!! Thanks everyone for the answer.

Your gonna need alot of bandwidth, depending on viewers and bitrates.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

if you're comfortable with Windows, then a decent spec machine on a decent connection running Microsoft Media Services should do the trick

your server will want at the ABSOLUTE minium a 10mbps connection, but ideally 100mbps. If you're wanting to run it off broadband\dialup then i'd give up now
    Technical Director, M247

Premium web and Internet infrastructure services from M247.com
    M247 is actively buying Helm3 customer base - cash waiting.

I think he means that those are the two formats you can choose between viewing the video. The broadband option would give you bigger and better quality but the 56K would be a shrunken down version with less quality.

I just noticed he was looking for TV streaming - which isn't legal in the US due to licensing of the content.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I think he wants to upload the content to the internet after it has been shown and then stream it from the server to the client. Although, unless you have permission, it is illegal I believe.

Originally posted by Penguin328
    I think he wants to upload the content to the internet after it has been shown and then stream it from the server to the client. Although, unless you have permission, it is illegal I believe.
    Yeah, and permission costs major $$$.

Well maybe he is the owner of the content, or it is someone he knows that will allow him to use the content online... he was asking for specs on the server, not if it was legal

legal or illegal aside..

check hotscripts.com for some gud streaming scripts.

And for the server.. disclose more info abt usage and traffic..

WMV is the most common format for streaming, but you are most likely need a windows server.

Real is another format, but personally, I don't really like it. It can stream on windows and linux. Their streaming server is really expensive.

Another alternative format is Theora (Based on VP3), you can use icecast or streamcast to stream it. The streaming server cost is much lower or even free. And you can do it in windows and linux.

If you don't want user to download any codes or any additional player, go with wmv and you must go with windows. If donwload codes is not a problem for your user, you might consider Theora

http://www.participatoryculture.org/bm/

try the Broadcast Machine.

almost no band width and no storage... based on bit torrent.