Hybrid View

Create DVD in CD writer?

What is the different between a CD and a DVD?
    Why two different names?

I have a CD writer but no DVD writer. Can a DVD be burn inside my CD writer? *plan to tape movie and put them on a dvd, rather than a CD.*
    Have any of you ever create a DVD in a CD writer?

No it can't be done. While they look the same, the format of each if different.

If you want to burn a DVD you'll need a DVD burner.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question344.htm

That explains the difference between DVD-audio and CD, but the links in the article will explain things pretty well I would imagine.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

You could make a VCD which will play in most dvd players

There isnt really any difference....

1 is an AUDIO cd and the other is a VIDEO CD...... I dunno why they came up with the other name,no point really.....

I always call them VIDEO CD'S

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by The Dude
    There isnt really any difference....

1 is an AUDIO cd and the other is a VIDEO CD...... I dunno why they came up with the other name,no point really.....

I always call them VIDEO CD'S
    If you call a DVD a video CD then you will just confuse people.

A CD is not just for Audio, just like a DVD is not just for video. Both just store data, you can decide what that data is. A DVD is similar in the method used to store data, but it is much more compact so you can fit more on each disk. Around 4.7GB for a standard single layer disk.
    Steve

Uhm... actually there is a huge difference between a CD and DVD. They both look the same, but they're not.

The laser that reads and writes them is totally different. Ever wonder why the bottom of a CD is greenish but a DVD's bottom is dark blue?

For CDs an infrared laser is used, for DVDs a red laser is used, and for the soon to be Blu-Ray Discs, a blue laser is used.

The difference between these lasers is the frequency it uses. An infrared laser has a larger frequency than a red colored laser, so it cant write data as compact. A red laser has a smaller frequency, and can write the data closer together on the DVD. The blue laser has an even smaller frequency, and can write up to (projected) 400GB of data per disc.
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Pheaton, I think you're confusing wavelength with frequency.
    Infrared is longer wavelength, lower frequency. Blue is shorter wavelength, higher frequency.

Whoops, yes its supposed to be wavelength, not frequency... and to think I did a project on this back when I was in school....
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Your best bet is to go with VCD or SVCD as these can be played in many DVD players, but don't have all the features (or capacity) of DVD.

http://doom9.net/ is a good resource